DairyBusiness

Thread: Jersey heifer prices?

Default Jersey heifer prices?

Have a question for you Jersey folks... what's a 6 month old unregistered Jersey heifer worth? She's dehorned, not sure about vaccinations, currently waiting on pictures and don't know her weight. Can you give me a price range to work with?

Thanks-
    ~your decisions are only as good as the information you base them on~

At the Sulphur Spings,Tx sale she would go for somewhere between $ 400-$ 650- depending on quality.

Default Jersey heifers

I bet all of you will think I am off of my rocker here, but $400-600 is a long way from where I think they should be priced. If you look at what a springing Jersey is worth, somewhere in the $1800 area--if you have one in a JMS sale maybe more. I think the SE heifer grower sale a couple weeks ago averaged close to 1900--many of these were not particularly spectacular pedigreed animal, but were most likely pretty nice heifers and young cows. Take that 1900 deduct what it would cost to raise her for a couple of years. In my case with grass and a little grain that would be less than $1.00 a day. I will use $700 in costs to grow her to a springer. So that comes to a difference of $1200. If you add something to cover what it cost to get that live heifer calf, I can easily justify asking $1300-$1500 for a baby Jersey heifer calf. With that said, I will confess I don't sell many heifers. If I sold one for the $4-600, I would have to add my cost to grow her and hope to be able to buy one in two years for less than that total plus some interest on the money to come out ahead. I don't think I can buy back springers for less at this point in time, or in the future. I have generally had better luck with the heifers I raise than the ones I have bought anyway.

I hope my rambling reasoning helps!

Jared in TN
    Last edited by Jared; 09-29-2008 at 10:57 PM. Reason: typo

Jared, I like your style of thinking. However, I think your thinking backwards in a way. Your saying that if you can sell a hiefer for $1900 and it cost $700 to raise her that you should sell a calf for $1200. I highly doubt you will sell a calf of any breed for that unless she has some genetics behind her. A 6 month old Jersey calf may get up to $800-$900.

Here's where your thinking is good. Lets say you buy one of those calves for $800. You put $700 in feed into her and sell her as a springer for $1900 for a profit of $400!

I advise not to sell calves or open heifers unless your barns are full or your feed is gone. You can make more profit selling springers.

Depends on what you're looking for. If she's a grade heifer (non-registered), 400-500 hundred should be a fair price. If she's papered, As much as you're willing to pay for her genetics. At the Tulsa State Fair last week the winner in one of the heifer classes was an $800 longshot beating out a $5000 superb critter. It's all down to one persons opinion.
    At an auction, dairyman won't give more than she's worth to make them a profit. If you're interested in getting her for a family milk cow, you can pick one up if you're willing to keep bidding. However, the replacement heifer market will drive the price.

I agree that it would be a good idea to raise all the Jersey heifers one could find if they were readily available at the 4-600 bucks. My math in my situation would show a profit if I were able to do just that, I just don't see that many Jersey heifers for sale in this part of the world.

In my round-about way of thinking, I cannot afford to sell the little brown critters for a low amount if I plan on milking. I just can't buy replacements cheaper than I can grow them.

It's all very clear in my head, just hard to illustrate written down.

Jared in TN

I agree Jared, raising your own heifers is cheaper than buying replacements. Also you don't have to take chances on buying animals that could bring disease into the herd.

Default Prices?

I am an FFA member, and my chapter has an agreement with a local Jersey farm who lets us borrow the cows to show. But the conditions at the farm are disgusting. I picked the heifer I wanted to use. But all I could see was her fore-quarters. She was in muck up to her lower cannon bone, and her knees were caked with it. When I took her out it was much worse. Her hind end was bald, her manure had taken all her hair off. I began to cry. I raise horses, animals are my life. I don't do it to win, I am not a dairy farmer. When I grow up I'm going to rescue farm animals, I want her to be my first. I can't save all those cows, but I have to save her. It isn't rare to, when you go to that farm, to see a dead cow laying in the aisle. I do not want that to be my cow. I have facilities waiting for her, she's not for sale, meaning I might have to pay more. But I am wanting to know how much to offer to the owner for her. Any help at all would help me greatly.

Thank you for your time,
    Celeste

Default Jersey Heifer Prices

Here in NY, grade heifers that age are going for $400-$800. Registered are still holding thier own, the average at the Syracuse National sale was around $3600, highest went for $11k. The spring sale in Whitney Point I think was a little less, but not far off. Somewhat popular here locally are F1 Crosses, 1/2 Holstein 1/2 Jersey, usually from an AI Jersey Sire. Jersey heifers, grade or registered, are always a touch hard to find more than 1-2 at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by DandysMissEcho View Post
    I am an FFA member, and my chapter has an agreement with a local Jersey farm who lets us borrow the cows to show. But the conditions at the farm are disgusting. I picked the heifer I wanted to use. But all I could see was her fore-quarters. She was in muck up to her lower cannon bone, and her knees were caked with it. When I took her out it was much worse. Her hind end was bald, her manure had taken all her hair off. I began to cry. I raise horses, animals are my life. I don't do it to win, I am not a dairy farmer. When I grow up I'm going to rescue farm animals, I want her to be my first. I can't save all those cows, but I have to save her. It isn't rare to, when you go to that farm, to see a dead cow laying in the aisle. I do not want that to be my cow. I have facilities waiting for her, she's not for sale, meaning I might have to pay more. But I am wanting to know how much to offer to the owner for her. Any help at all would help me greatly.

Thank you for your time,
    Celeste
    Edited by administrator. Welcome to the forum; but let's please keep personal converations in PMs or thorugh private email. And stick with the topic. Which in this case is prices.

To all members: There is a difference between normal operations and neglect. If anybody becomes aware of animals being exposed to conditions that they believe are not customary and consitent with a typical dairy operation, please report this to local authorities. Also, keep in mind that accusations of neglect are very serious, and probably not suitable for the forum.
    Last edited by administrator; 09-10-2009 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by milkmaid View Post
    Have a question for you Jersey folks... what's a 6 month old unregistered Jersey heifer worth? She's dehorned, not sure about vaccinations, currently waiting on pictures and don't know her weight. Can you give me a price range to work with?

Thanks-
    I would question why one animal is being sold on it's own? What is wrong with her? Why is she for sale? . . . And also why are you spending a lot of time just for one heifer? You are obviously not chasing her genetics, so are you trying to buy a group of heifers? If so buy them all from one farm, it is a buyers market right now.

Just curious if the prices have changed much in your folk's neck of the woods!

I just bought 8 holstein /jersey cross bred heifers last week for $700 each.They are bred about two months along to a jersey bull. Very classy group of heifers. I am pretty proud of them and think they will do well on my grazing dairy.

In my neck of the woods, a person should be able to buy any heifer of any dairy breed for less than $1000. (And that's bred) Two years ago, it could've been double that for a heifer. The price of heifers follows milk prices in my experience. Sadly though, the high-priced ones on the end of a good milk price trend never pay for themselves. IMHO.