DairyBusiness

Thread: Ukraine Dairy Farm

Default Ukraine Dairy Farm

My wife and I are planning to move to Ukraine this summer to start a dairy farm. We presently milk around 500 cows in Manitoba Canada. Our five oldest sons will continue to farm here. We would love to contact people with experence milking in Ukraine.

May I ask you why Ukraine? Is it related to land prices, labor costs, official support, your view of the future there or what?

Default Ukraine

We are looking for a way to serve others. Ukraine has tremendous potential, cheap excellent land, labor, and a population that is used to working with dairy cattle. However the dairy industry suffers from a lack of modernization. Most cattle are milked by hand and cooling is nearly nonexistant. Most herds are 1-2 cows.

I have been to Ukraine twice in the past few years and visited Dairy farms collective large, and home farms 1-2 cows. They still do not allow personal ownership of land. Did you find a way to get land as well as as distribution of the milk?

We have been able to secure a long term lease on some land and have bought a house and a plot-5acres- in a village in the southeast of Ukraine, we are moving the first of July

Any updates? How are things going?

I'm curious as well on how this is going. Unless a person is in some kind of missionary work, (which is a great and noble cause) why in the world would you want to invest that much of your life in land you don't own and your kids can't inherit in some country a half a world away? Is it for the adventure?