Thread: Boots for the farm

Default Boots for the farm

I'm looking at buying some work boots for the farm. As most of you may know, when you wear work boots in manure it reduces the life of a boot dramatically. I don't want 'crap kickers' which are those knee high plastic/rubber boots. I want a boot that lasts, is comfortable to wear all day, and if possible doesn't have large treads to collect and deposit dirt on the kitchen floor! I had a pair of Red Wings that wore great, but in 6 months blew out the seams at the toes. Since then I have bought cheap Walmart boots that may only last 2 months but cost 4 times less than Red Wings. Let me know what works for you! TIA, Matt

I've tried spending more cash on CAT boots and etc. and they wear out just as fast as the cheap ones. I think it might be better to have smaller steel toe rubber boots but they always feel to.... flimsy

I did see a pair of orange Stihl chainsaw "rubber" boots that looked pretty rugged might give them a try.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyB View Post
    I want a boot that lasts, is comfortable to wear all day, and if possible doesn't have large treads to collect and deposit dirt on the kitchen floor!
    lol, I can't understand how anyone's wife lets them get away with walking inside in their work boots! I come from a culture that always takes their shoes off when in someones house, even normal street shoes! It is much more polite to walk around in socks or even bare feet than tracking in mud and dirt everywhere. And what if you have young kids crawling around on the floor?

We wear gumboots (knee high rubber boots) and coveralls on the farm. That way when you get in from milking you can take off your boots and coveralls and you will be pretty clean.

While in the States we used MUCK boots and found they were great. Nice and warm too in negative temps!

Default Reply

I always wear rubber boots for milking. For everything else, I just buy from the army surplus store up the road. Got a pair of size 14F Canadian army boots this spring, first time I ever had a pair of boots that were really wide enough for my feet. Also have a pair of US Army desert boots in size 14 that are a lot lighter, I wear them haying on really hot days.

Well you've pretty much resigned yourself to going barefoot if you don't want rubber boots or work boots. Hope that goes well for ya.

Really though, a good pair of tall rubber boots with a bit of thinsulate are the ticket.
    Get over any fashion statement you want to make with your boots and think practicality.
    And if you are wearing regular work boots and know you're headed for slop use rubbers.

Quote Originally Posted by sammyd View Post
    Well you've pretty much resigned yourself to going barefoot if you don't want rubber boots or work boots. Hope that goes well for ya.

Really though, a good pair of tall rubber boots with a bit of thinsulate are the ticket.
    Get over any fashion statement you want to make with your boots and think practicality.
    And if you are wearing regular work boots and know you're headed for slop use rubbers.
    The problem with rubbers is that I have a bad knee and a knee high boot makes my knee take most of side to side movements. I do wear them sometimes when milking or when I know I will be in slop but I can't wear them all the time.

In NZ you can get rubber boots that are only half the height. They are great for the summer too! I think Muck makes a boot similar to this but it is not as good as their Muckmaster which I like for the farm.

Default barnyard chemical resistant boots

Several manufacturers have started making a barnyard chemical resistant boot (manure). Georgia Boot's farm and ranch boot and John Deere as well.
    Also, might try something with goretex, so that when outside starts to crack then you have another month before they leak.

I have found a pair of boots that are rubber and do last that are certainly worth a shot. Ranger has a pair rubber boots that are ver pliable rubber, not brittle at all and resist dry rot very well. I am just now on my second pair after 4 years. If you are into giving these a shot you can find them at workingperson.com (search for this: Men's Green Insulated Waterproof Rubber Boots)
    I promise you that you won't be disappointed if you try them out, I had lost my faith in finding a good pair of rubber boots for use around the farm that would last more than 6 months until I found these. Super comfortable, have a removable liner that is made of thinsulate insulation and will keep your feet incredibly warm during the winter months and yet remain wearable during the heat of the summer. If you've hardened your mind to the idea of rubber boots I do suggest RedWing Pecos model # 1155, they are pull on and have never given me, nor my dad, a single problem due to repeated exposure of manure. I know not everyone likes the idea of pull on style boots, nor does everyone like the idea of boots with laces (which I get tired of dealing with laces getting covered in manure that almost always rot), but again they are a pair of boots that are very durable, and break in rather quickly especially if you drowned them with Redwing boot oil prior to the first time you wear them. Anyhow, I hope this insight helps.

Tingley Rubbers......I pretty much wear them religiously over my workshoes, and get 2-3 years of life out of a pair of redwings. Probably get 4-6 months of life out of a pair of tingleys, depending on how well I succeed in not ripping them and patching them, I'll wear the soles thru, Typically wear the 12 inch high ones all winter, low ones when It gets dry in the summer. Simply take them off when going into the house and leave the shoes on.

Wheels

Default work boots on dairy farm

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Tingley Rubbers......I pretty much wear them religiously over my workshoes, and get 2-3 years of life out of a pair of redwings. Probably get 4-6 months of life out of a pair of tingleys, depending on how well I succeed in not ripping them and patching them, I'll wear the soles thru, Typically wear the 12 inch high ones all winter, low ones when It gets dry in the summer. Simply take them off when going into the house and leave the shoes on.

Wheels
    I understand the rubber boots but i really need more support than the rubber boots give so wear a good pair of work boots and when i'm on the skid steer cleaning out stalls or hauling manure i put on a pair of LaCrosse 2 buckle rubbers and still get the support for my ankles. then when in milking parlor its pretty clean and jsut wear my work boots there and i wear the rubbers out before the boots as i rinse them off when done and the grip is good getting in and out of the skid steer

Here 99% have Xtratough barn boots. And why you would buy anything but Danner for work boots is beyond me? ALOT of money but if you oil them quick 5-6 times a year (i mean grab rag and wipe boot goo all over quick while getting in from barn.). I have been getting DeLaval barn boots. Last pair was 2+ years, way better support than Xtrtough and Xtra only make 6-7 months. Short Xtra are nice for summer though. DeLavals are a bit slim but work for me fine. Also in summer a majority of ag guys and gals here wear Romeos from Georgia boot. I have a town pair but they are so short you just get wet no matter what. One buddy wears good Nike type shoes and over boots since he says its easier on his back with the support. I kinda like that idea in summer.

Have you looked into pull-over rubber boots? They are somewhat heavy but slip over your work boots and you can kick them off when you dont need them. Should extend the life of your work boots a lot longer. Not sure what brand mine are but they cost about $70 if I remember right.

New Balance sneakers, year round. Hot summer or -30, milking, feeding, cleaning, or going to church. Boots slow me down to much.