DairyBusiness

Thread: feeding jersey steer for freezer

Default feeding jersey steer for freezer

Hi,
    any advice on feeding out a jersey calf to butcher?
    I bought one today and I have heard that they need a little different ration.

Thanks!!!

I have fed out Holsteins, HoJo's, and HoJo x Swedish Red crosses. They all got the same ration which was pasture and corn silage after being started on waste milk. I have sold some butchered wrapped and frozen to friends and have sent some live to the auction. I barely broke even on all my sales because I fed them calf starter which cost me $200 a piece. So I decided I needed to cut that cost as much as possible and feed them more milk. Now I have a group of 4 that are about 5 months old and I still have yet to put any money into them. The 4 are in a pasture next to the parlor and are getting about 30 gallons of waste milk a day!

We are not doing this commercially. It is just to fill our freezer.
    I got the calf for $21 and will probably only raise him up until he is
    between 400-500 lbs.

He will be losing his essentials today or tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by mmccallum View Post
    We are not doing this commercially. It is just to fill our freezer.
    Still you would want to keep costs low. My calves at 5 month old may be up to 400lbs already. You could try 'grass fed veal'.

We experimented with letting some jersey heifers raise some spring born calves one year, and the bull calves turned out as nice 600 lbs. butterballs when they were butchered in the fall. I don't feel I am an expert, but I seem to find that jersey calves benefit from higher energy ration. Maybe they have a higher metabolism?

If you value the quality of the meat over the cost, then you might have to feed milk longer to get him off to a good start and keep him looking good over the winter. Will you have any spring pasture to 'finish' him on?

Quote Originally Posted by mikehur View Post
    We experimented with letting some jersey heifers raise some spring born calves one year, and the bull calves turned out as nice 600 lbs. butterballs when they were butchered in the fall. I don't feel I am an expert, but I seem to find that jersey calves benefit from higher energy ration. Maybe they have a higher metabolism?

If you value the quality of the meat over the cost, then you might have to feed milk longer to get him off to a good start and keep him looking good over the winter. Will you have any spring pasture to 'finish' him on?
    Yes, bermuda-bahaia overseeded with annual ryegrass. Pasture has a bit of hairy vetch (early) and red clover (late) in it too.

Quote Originally Posted by mikehur View Post
    Will you have any spring pasture to 'finish' him on?
    My milk fed veal calf went to the my corn silage fed steer group. My dad got tired of feeding them whenever I couldn't so the group went to the auction. The calf was 2 months younger than the steers in the group but was the same size from the extra milk. Normally we finish our steers in a pen. It helps to fatten them up and we can give more feed. Usually they get leftover TMR and corn silage with corn if I have some available.