DairyBusiness

Thread: PI problems

Default PI problems

We have been having PI problems for the past month and a half. Out of the last 7 tests, 6 have been high ranging from 4 million to 2 million down in the 100,000's and a low of 33,000. We have checked everything that we can think of. Crawled in the bulk tank twice, looked in every stainless line, opened units and changed gaskets, checked water temp and 'slug', checked volume of soap, acid, and sanitizer, used disposable paper towels for a bulk tank test. We can't find it and this is with a parlor less than 2 years old. I will be getting an independent testing lab to take a sample and see what they get but I can't imagine that they will get anything different. Has anybody experienced or heard about producers that found odd problems causing high PI counts?

Quote Originally Posted by bmvf View Post
    We have been having PI problems for the past month and a half. Out of the last 7 tests, 6 have been high ranging from 4 million to 2 million down in the 100,000's and a low of 33,000. We have checked everything that we can think of. Crawled in the bulk tank twice, looked in every stainless line, opened units and changed gaskets, checked water temp and 'slug', checked volume of soap, acid, and sanitizer, used disposable paper towels for a bulk tank test. We can't find it and this is with a parlor less than 2 years old. I will be getting an independent testing lab to take a sample and see what they get but I can't imagine that they will get anything different. Has anybody experienced or heard about producers that found odd problems causing high PI counts?
    I would look for cooling problems. We had low freon levels this spring and high PI counts. It could also be a cow. How is your SPC?

I tend to be suspect of the hauler, though thats a tricky situation. We have occasional jumps from below 10,000 to over 100, and then right back down again, and the only variable is we hardly have the same hauler twice in a row. I'd test a few samples the hauler had nothing to do with and see how that looks.

We've been thru that. I kept asking field staff, former dairymen, posted online, where ever and still high counts. One day the Fed. Milk Inspector show up while I was in the barn and I complained that I was having high PI's. He looked things over a minute then showed me, it was in the vaccum line. So now I try to rinse it monthly and our counts have been 10,000 and less.Mostly less.

How did you rinse our your vacuum line.

JF, we had a hauler a few years ago that would take the sample flask and with his thumb on the underside of the cap would scoop the milk up from the tank. So yes, we've had hauler problems. Usually the whole route suffers when a hauler is taking short cuts. Now days, our hauler is the best we have ever had. He is always on the route and always tells me to check his ice and let him know if I think he can do better.

Rinsing vacuum. On our system I can occasionally slug some solution into the moisture trap. Also I have a drain on the vacuum just above the wash sink where I can hook a hose and alternate water and air to slug the line. Once I've done that I shut down the system, let it drain, then start back up to remove any moisture and then shut down again.this is what worked for me.

I have found a problem! A supply dealer told me to do the final acid rinse for the bulk tank with hot water because it is easier to see scum on a dry surface. Well I did that and opened the top to a stench of stale milk. There was scum on the sides and actual spots of milk high on the walls. I turned the tank washer on again to find that water wasn't filling correctly. Why I didn't find that earlier I don't know. Did the hot water rinse allow me to see the problem? Has the problem worsen since I last crawled in the tank? Hopefully this is the issue and I can stop my 'witch hunt'.

Updating the situation. It was a broken impeller that was causing the bulk tank problems. The impeller is plastic and broke. It dropped down and hindered the flow of water into the tank. According to the serviceman, the impeller could have cracked and not washed correctly for that past 2 months. After fixing the problem we tested the washer. Looking into the tank I couldn't see the scum that was on the sides because the sides were wet and not dry. Seems like acid rinsing with hot water is the way to find problems!

Gotta love a good hot acid wash

I am glad for you you found the problem. Sometimes it can be so frustrating. Have a good day!