Thread: silage bagger

Default silage bagger

I am looking to bag silage this year for my first time.I will use a custom chopper who chops into dump trucks.Which bagger is best and should I use a bagger tender or a bagger with it's own platform?

How many cows do you have? How many tons do you need?

If you are big enough to use the biggest size bag, do it. When we bagged we had a custom guy do it and always had great results. He had a Versa bagger and we used the biggest bags. It worked very well, packed well and had little spoilage. The bags were smooth and tightly packed. I never worked with any other bagger so I can't speak about them.

I milk about 200-240 cows and will bag about 100 acres of corn and about 190 acres of rye grass.

Not sure how you currently store your forage but If you havent done so already, you may want too look at an asphalt pad. We had at one time used bags and switched to piles and would never go back. It has saved us alot of time both harvesting and feeding. Plastic is not cheap when you start doing any amount of bagging. The sound of bagging makes me kringe!

I'm with ringadairy here. We put down concrete last fall and pile it. We still have plastic on top, but we would not go back to bagging, due to the expense. It does make nice feed, though, I will admit that. Another reason we switched from bagging is we could never get the bagger here on time.

We also put down an asphalt pad last year and have been happy since we switched from bags. We did it for a few years until we had the cash for the asphalt. In general we had a good experience with the bags... the biggest problem for us was the one 500 footer that we would put on dirt for winter feeding during those winter thaws or huge snow storms was a bit tough to deal with. We usually had no problems getting the custom guy here with the bagger. The problem with the piles is its a real pain in the a$$ to put the tires down...

yes, dr, it is a real PITA, the tires. I admit. But I still think it is the best, cheapest way to put up feed. We used to pile on the ground + limestone, and we got so much dirt and gravel in the feed bunk (and the cows, hubby and the vet still pull out wads of limestone from inside of cows). How good can that be?

Quote Originally Posted by cousinit View Post
    yes, dr, it is a real PITA, the tires. I admit. But I still think it is the best, cheapest way to put up feed. We used to pile on the ground + limestone, and we got so much dirt and gravel in the feed bunk (and the cows, hubby and the vet still pull out wads of limestone from inside of cows). How good can that be?
    At least you wouldn't need to add buffer to the ration to raise the pH with all that limestone in there.....j/k :-) lol

we store in a pile. We use to feed a lot of beef so we would keep a fairly big pile. Now that we have cut back on beef I have bought precast walls. This year I took the time to run the plastic down the walls before we started filling then I just pulled each side over the top and put on my tires. It is the best pile we have ever had. There is zero waste and no problem with the plastic lifting in wind storms. It is a PITA (like cousinit says) but a day of hard work at the start and end of filling and you have great feed all year

Breweye, our plastic keeps lifting in the wicked winds we've been having this year.....so, how high are the walls? And let me get this straight, you put the plastic UNDER the wall on one side before you start, then you fill, then wrap the plastic over?

We tried a grass silage agbag once!! Dad said if he starts talking of putting feed in a bag again to get us to check him into a institution with a striaght jacket!! It was a diseaster!!! All our grass is now in round bales and the corn goes in a bunker.
    cousinit- hang the plastic down on the inside of the wall so the bottom of the plastic is almost at the floor and the extra goes over the top and is outside the wall while you fill. Just like breweye says it works great!! We use tires too but our tires are cut in half around the tread so they dont collect water. We cover the whole top with tires touching each other. This is the first year we used a product called Silo Stop and we are really impressed. Its a oxygen barrier plastic ( almost like seran wrap in your kitchen ) and we put that down first before we put the regular black and white plastic on.

yep just like canadian cowman said I put the plastic over the wall the whole length before filling right to the base an put some buckets of fresh corn to hold the base down and started to fill. The only scary part for me was that you pray for no real wind while filling because half the plastic is over the wall waiting to cover a full bunk and not really ancored to anything. If it got windy I could see where you could get some holes from wearing at the top of the wall. It works really well