Thread: Farm first dairy co-op

Default Farm first dairy co-op

Well Guys what do you think of the new co-op? Is it gonna be able to do what it says?

I don't see that they own any processing facilities. I see in the newsletters they put out,lots of interest in what the Government is doing. I see nothing stated about what theya re going to do in the market place. Seems like every CO-OP manager and board member always starts with what the Gove. is going to do or how they want the Gov. to act and yet they make no mention of how they are going to work in the enviroment we find ourselves in so as to gain world market share. In fact when you look back the late 80's were awful good times to be milking cows. THe reason?

The dollar was strong.

The American consumer had purchsing power therfore they saw milk as a value. YEa our exports sucked but we owned the american mkt. We had surging growth in our domestic population that spurred on our purchases. Seems to me that a insightful CO-OP would stand up and say the way to return to prosperity is to get back to a strong domestic mkt. But instead we are going to once again focus on what uncle sam will give us as a gift.

Why can't there a be a Capitalistic milk marketing CO-OP? Oh yea Dufus don't start braggin here.

I am so tired of the Government being looked to as the savior of the dairyfarmer.

Is that the one we're in? We hooked up with someone in the fall. We used to be Family Dairies or something like that.

As you can tell, I'm not huge on coops.

Quote Originally Posted by jrthe original View Post
    Well Guys what do you think of the new co-op? Is it gonna be able to do what it says?
    Jr I think this could be a good merger BUT. For the most part they are just a milk testing co-op and represent farms on the Federal Order. The milk they phisically handel is very little and I know of no manufactureing plants. There are probaly several on this forum that are members. From what I see so far there has been no shrink in the 3 boards and I don't think that is good, its too big. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by cousinit View Post
    Is that the one we're in? We hooked up with someone in the fall. We used to be Family Dairies or something like that.

As you can tell, I'm not huge on coops.
    Yes Family Dairies is one off the co-ops involved.

It is a great move for testing milk.