DairyBusiness
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Inflations

Quote Originally Posted by jmart View Post
    Do most of you use vented inflations? We used to use unvented delaval 08 inflations with old superflow lite claws. We switched to vented IBA pro square inflations with those claws with out any major problems. We then got new boumatic flowmax claws and kept the same shells and inflations. I haven't been super impressed with how they are doing our scc runs around 250 and I would like to get it down. Does anyone else have boumatic flowmax claws? If so what inflations are you using.
    I seem to think that those flowmaxes come with vented liners. Having said that, I don't know if all air bleeds are made the same.

Being a DeLaval guy, I suggest you switch to Silicone Harmonys

I would like to know on the venting as well. The physics tell me it will depend on your claw size and milk hose diameter. Inflation venting might allow for a lighter claw and/or faster milk flow without back-flow contamination on the teat-end. Can someone tell me if the vented inflations need higher vacuum settings to maintain sufficient teat-end vacuum?

I'm going to get some silicone Harmony's to try. I would guess it would be best to try the ones the same weight as my current inflations?

On the vented inflations, we tried them many years ago before we got the Harmony claws, we did not increase the vacuum. At least to the best of my recollection. Where is a better place for the vent? In the milk tube or on the side at the top of the inflation? Have saw them both ways. We had the vents in the milk tubes. Truth be told, the vented claw on the Harmony is WAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better than vented inflations. IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by dairyfarmmn View Post
    I'm going to get some silicone Harmony's to try. I would guess it would be best to try the ones the same weight as my current inflations?

On the vented inflations, we tried them many years ago before we got the Harmony claws, we did not increase the vacuum. At least to the best of my recollection. Where is a better place for the vent? In the milk tube or on the side at the top of the inflation? Have saw them both ways. We had the vents in the milk tubes. Truth be told, the vented claw on the Harmony is WAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better than vented inflations. IMHO
    I wish we could go with the vented claw. It pisses me off that we can't do it because we might get too much air in our receiver jar because we have a stupid flat barn parlor with a high line. Do you guys really think that is problem?

Quote Originally Posted by milkatron View Post
    I seem to think that those flowmaxes come with vented liners. Having said that, I don't know if all air bleeds are made the same.

Being a DeLaval guy, I suggest you switch to Silicone Harmonys
    Can you get those to fit in 08 shells or would we need new shells as well?

Umm...is the 08 shell the plastic and stainless one? Because that's the only shell that the Silicone Harmony liner will fit in. Perhaps I should have mentioned that.

From my standpoint, I'd say one air bleed on a claw is better than four on liners because
    a) less chance of straw or whatever plugging it up
    b) I think it be more stable a claw vacuum being that it's on the claw and not right at the teat end. Think of the vacuum controller on your milking system, it usually sits on the ballast tank, where the reserve is, rather than on the pulsation line. It's the same principle, if you want to accurately control it, you put the vent at the point where you have the most reserve.

Also, the harmony claw is designed with reserve vacuum in mind, that's why it sucks milk up from the bottom and top unloads, it leaves a nice vacuum reserve right in the claw at all times. I've never seen anyone flood a harmony yet.

In terms of a vented claw putting too much foam in the milk because it's a highline, I call shenanigans on that. I can take you to over 500 farms that are milking with single airbleed claws, in a highline and not having foam in the milk. Is that what the dealer told you, or what you experienced?

Quote Originally Posted by milkatron View Post
    Umm...is the 08 shell the plastic and stainless one? Because that's the only shell that the Silicone Harmony liner will fit in. Perhaps I should have mentioned that.

From my standpoint, I'd say one air bleed on a claw is better than four on liners because
    a) less chance of straw or whatever plugging it up
    b) I think it be more stable a claw vacuum being that it's on the claw and not right at the teat end. Think of the vacuum controller on your milking system, it usually sits on the ballast tank, where the reserve is, rather than on the pulsation line. It's the same principle, if you want to accurately control it, you put the vent at the point where you have the most reserve.

Also, the harmony claw is designed with reserve vacuum in mind, that's why it sucks milk up from the bottom and top unloads, it leaves a nice vacuum reserve right in the claw at all times. I've never seen anyone flood a harmony yet.

In terms of a vented claw putting too much foam in the milk because it's a highline, I call shenanigans on that. I can take you to over 500 farms that are milking with single airbleed claws, in a highline and not having foam in the milk. Is that what the dealer told you, or what you experienced?
    I've flooded a Harmony claw...... but it really was more of a malfunction. The plastic cylinder inside the claw had tipped slightly so it was not properly sucking the milk up. lol

We have the 06 shells. The silicone liners for the Harmony claws are a two piece deal right? A milk tube, then the liner/shell combo? At least that is what the IBA ones look like.

I had more foam in the jar when we had the vented inflations before we got the Harmony claws then we have AFTER getting the Harmony's.
    Last edited by dairyfarmmn; 03-14-2013 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dairyfarmmn View Post
    I've flooded a Harmony claw...... but it really was more of a malfunction. The plastic cylinder inside the claw had tipped slightly so it was not properly sucking the milk up. lol

We have the 06 shells. The silicone liners for the Harmony claws are a two piece deal right? A milk tube, then the liner/shell combo? At least that is what the IBA ones look like.

I had more foam in the jar when we had the vented inflations before we got the Harmony claws then we have AFTER getting the Harmony's.
    The silicone harmony liner is a one piece liner, with the classic harmony flange end for fitting into your claw. The way I tell the difference is that the silicone is shinier than the rubber liner, and has a different shaped head.

If the 06 shell is the stainless shell, I don't think the silicone harmonys will fit. But perhaps your dealer will lend you some plastic shells to try them out, they are lighter than the SS shells. No problems with the silicones shutting off.

Have not read all the replies, but I have been using Lauren vented liners for over 3 years now.Very little air leaks, faster milk out, and much better teat ends. SCC has come down also, but that is so dynamic I can't pinpoint one change. Clinical mastitis is down to just about 2/3 of what it was before.

Went to a trade show today and one of the things we looked at was inflations. Everyone raved over the Impulse. One vendor said 95% of his clients use them. They were steering us away from silicone. They also said we should switch to FloMax claws.

Quote Originally Posted by cousinit View Post
    Went to a trade show today and one of the things we looked at was inflations. Everyone raved over the Impulse. One vendor said 95% of his clients use them. They were steering us away from silicone. They also said we should switch to FloMax claws.
    For what my opinions worth, teats are round, so the liner should be round! Until we have square, octagon and triangle shaped teats, I'll leave those liners to the side. (I say this, even as Universal makes a Triangular liner)

I've also always preferred a single airbleed to four. Less bleeds to plug and I think it offers better claw vacuum stability.

Being that I've given my disclaimer in the past. I suggest you at least try the Harmony 360 with the silicone or the Harmony + with the silicone, if you're in the market for new claws/liners. It's the original top unload claw, something the FloMax has tried to emulate.

You can believe what you want about the shape of liners but I know going from rounds to triangles was an improvement for me on my farm.

Silicon just seems so slow in our area. All the silicon barns I know only get 3.4-3.8 turn/hour with them. Unacceptable IMO. I am with Dr and others. One vent is better than 4. That 1 plugs and you see it asap. One teat plugs and milks 400 teats violently b/f anyone...IF anyone sees it.

Quote Originally Posted by Troydairy View Post
    Silicon just seems so slow in our area. All the silicon barns I know only get 3.4-3.8 turn/hour with them. Unacceptable IMO. I am with Dr and others. One vent is better than 4. That 1 plugs and you see it asap. One teat plugs and milks 400 teats violently b/f anyone...IF anyone sees it.
    Educate me on the vent plugging up. How can you tell if it's plugged?

We just switched to Impulse this week.

Quote Originally Posted by cousinit View Post
    Educate me on the vent plugging up. How can you tell if it's plugged?

We just switched to Impulse this week.
    Usually, you can either see it plugged, or the claws will flood and cows will milk out slow.

It's usually advised you have a air bleed pin somewhere handy if it's visually plugged.