DairyBusiness

Thread: Harvestore unloader parts and experiances

Default Harvestore unloader parts and experiances

dr and others out there that are successfully managing Harvestores for haylage and corn silage. I was curious what chains, hooks, ant other parts you have used and your experience with the different brands and styles. Do you use Harvestore branded products or aftermarket etc.? Also what unloaders you are using. We have one Goliath and 2 Alliance unloaders in our 20x80's and recently tried a cast link cutter chain with stainless pins from QPI and it seems to be holding up so far but need more hours to fully test. We are very pleased with feed quality out of a well managed Harvestore.

We have 1 XL (in the 25x80), 2 Alliances (the 20x80s), 1 Goliath (20x35) and one Spartan (HMSC 20x42). The XL is a fantastic unloader. A HUGE improvement over any of the other ones. I was about to swear off harvestores until we put that in because I hated the Goliath in the 25x80 so much. The XL unloads so fast... we had to get a new conveyor because the old one couldn't keep up. The Alliances work well on the 20 footers and we get the feed out quickly. Regular maintenance and adjustment is the key (which we do ourselves). All of our silos are empty at least once a year which makes it really easy to work on them. We use parts from our Harvestore dealer.

I'll have to look up what chains, hooks and such we are using. I know in the XL we had the hooks and paddles changed a few times right after installation (the company paid for it as we were the test farm for the unloader).
    DiederichFarm
    "You are only as good as your next success, not your last" Sir Jock Stirrup

Quote Originally Posted by drdiederich View Post
    We have 1 XL (in the 25x80), 2 Alliances (the 20x80s), 1 Goliath (20x35) and one Spartan (HMSC 20x42). The XL is a fantastic unloader. A HUGE improvement over any of the other ones. I was about to swear off harvestores until we put that in because I hated the Goliath in the 25x80 so much. The XL unloads so fast... we had to get a new conveyor because the old one couldn't keep up. The Alliances work well on the 20 footers and we get the feed out quickly. Regular maintenance and adjustment is the key (which we do ourselves). All of our silos are empty at least once a year which makes it really easy to work on them. We use parts from our Harvestore dealer.

I'll have to look up what chains, hooks and such we are using. I know in the XL we had the hooks and paddles changed a few times right after installation (the company paid for it as we were the test farm for the unloader).
    Good to hear on the XL unloader, Do you plan to upgrade the other unloaders in the 20 footers to the xl in the future (would feed speed and service costs justify it in a 20x80)?

Is Genex Farm Systems your dealer up there? If so , how is their knowledge, service, and pricing compare (they recently became our dealer here but have not talked to them any).

Thanks for the info on the chains... Anyone else with using Harvestore unloaders is welcome to chime in as well.

We have no plans to replace any unloaders any time soon as they do all seem to be in excellent condition right now. I am not sure it is worth it with the 20 footers for us to upgrade. The alliance does a decent job of feeding out... not as great as the XL, but if you get her purring she will pump out the feed much better than the old Goliaths or Spartans. If I needed to replace an unloader I would put it in though. Generally, the 20 footers seemed to always feed out faster with the older unloaders. I'm not sure if that was just at our farm or a common thing.

We don't have Genex Farm Systems, we have Foxland Harvestore where I am, but I am familiar with Genex Farm Systems. I know they are putting up a lot of manure storage... so they must be doing something right with that avenue anyway. Other than that though, I can't really speak to their prices or service level. I only have more of a "bird's eye view" of them.

I just got back from a wedding this weekend, so I still haven't looked up the info on the chains or anything like that yet... still coming with it though.
    DiederichFarm
    "You are only as good as your next success, not your last" Sir Jock Stirrup