Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quad Bikes

Default Quad Bikes

These days quad bikes are pretty much essential in my part of the world . These days there seem to be serval more brands on the market . Including some cheap Chinese made ones .

I have been buying Hondas for the about the last 15 years . After about four years they have about had their day . The motor and running gear is still ok but everything else gets shagged out .

Should I buy another Honda 420 trx or look at something else ? I think they are priced at around 12k new .
    "Those people who say they have no time for bodily exercise will soon have to find time for illness ". Joseph Pilates

I went back to the old fourtrax 300s...I found two on Craigslist with the original tires still on them. These are the strongest atvs ever IMO. Honda aren't built like they used to.

Quote Originally Posted by milklotsofcows View Post
    I went back to the old fourtrax 300s...I found two on Craigslist with the original tires still on them. These are the strongest atvs ever IMO. Honda aren't built like they used to.
    I agree...The 300's were insanely reliable and tough. Bought a Rincon in 95, its been alright but its no 300.

Quote Originally Posted by Lead Cow View Post
    These days quad bikes are pretty much essential in my part of the world . These days there seem to be serval more brands on the market . Including some cheap Chinese made ones .

I have been buying Hondas for the about the last 15 years . After about four years they have about had their day . The motor and running gear is still ok but everything else gets shagged out .

Should I buy another Honda 420 trx or look at something else ? I think they are priced at around 12k new .
    None of them last anymore.

I would still stick with the honda.

We have had Yamaha, Suzuki and Hondas recently and there has been no competition. The Hondas are the best of those by a mile.

I owned a Suzuki king quad about 20 years ago and it was actually quite good except the motor wore out too quick . They were ok bikes for the time IMO . A lot of people seem to be getting hurt on bikes and some people are going for the all terrain vehicles but I can't see them being much use to me . They might be good for orchardists and hobby farmers etc . Quite a bit dearer too .

They are all too dear for what they are IMO .
    "Those people who say they have no time for bodily exercise will soon have to find time for illness ". Joseph Pilates

we have a Honda 450 that is ancient, relatively speaking, over ten years old for sure, although it does have the left rear wheel off waiting for suspension parts as I type this...

I would still do Honda again in a heartbeat, we have gotten pretty good at buying parts online for much cheaper than the dealer...

Well we are the UN of quads we have a 2003 Honda trx420 with 1400hrs, I think that's what it is a 2007 yamaha 400 with 2200hrs on it, 2012 shintan 110 has no hr meter and a 2014 Polaris 400 has 55hrs all 4*4 except the ****an well that's what it's got named.

The Honda has been a failer as a bike Carby give a lot of trouble mostly needle and seat. Screen has been unreadable for many years all fuzzy.
    The yamaha has been a great bike gets a flogging shifting irrigators around have done a couple cv joints and a bearing in back diff. Love it for the hr meter and speedo all easy to read and don't get all faded.
    The s?itan is fr the kids as you can guess by the name it's a heap of **** but its Chinese thing so I get what I desever.

The Polaris I'm yet to like get power best we've had over rough ground, guessing it many be a service nightmare but well see.
    Out go the lot my pick is yamaha or Polaris, Honda has done it for me way to pricey and parts are just absurd.
    Haven't had to buy Polaris parts yet but the buy price on Polaris was thousands under the Honda.

Anyway just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausdairy View Post
    Well we are the UN of quads we have a 2003 Honda trx420 with 1400hrs, I think that's what it is a 2007 yamaha 400 with 2200hrs on it, 2012 shintan 110 has no hr meter and a 2014 Polaris 400 has 55hrs all 4*4 except the ****an well that's what it's got named.

The Honda has been a failer as a bike Carby give a lot of trouble mostly needle and seat. Screen has been unreadable for many years all fuzzy.

The yamaha has been a great bike gets a flogging shifting irrigators around have done a couple cv joints and a bearing in back diff. Love it for the hr meter and speedo all easy to read and don't get all faded.
    The s?itan is fr the kids as you can guess by the name it's a heap of **** but its Chinese thing so I get what I desever.

The Polaris I'm yet to like get power best we've had over rough ground, guessing it many be a service nightmare but well see.
    Out go the lot my pick is yamaha or Polaris, Honda has done it for me way to pricey and parts are just absurd.
    Haven't had to buy Polaris parts yet but the buy price on Polaris was thousands under the Honda.

Anyway just my two cents.
    In all the years of owning Honda s I've not seen any Carby trouble at all . I like to trade up to a new one before they lose too much value .

Default Quad Bikes

We used to be all Yamaha until the last two we had spent more time in the shop getting fixed than we got to use them. In the end we told them to leave them in the shop. Plus they drove like absolute crap even when they did work.

Our "new" honda already has 1500 hours on it, hasn't missed a beat yet.
    Last edited by Bazza; 08-01-2014 at 07:46 PM.

My current Honda has just done 20000 km and had a comprehensive service last week . It's still in good condition although I've had to do Work on the guards to keep them secured etc . Decided not to trade yet but need to do oil changes a bit more often . Quad bikes get a hard life but we would be stuck with out them .

I think I heard on the news that there are more people killed in Australia on quad bikes than in tractor accidents .

Tasmania, Australia where the grass is always green

The best quad we owned was a Honda 450, couldn't kill it! We now own a few 500s for pulling calf trailers, cafeteria, etc and generally replace one once a year unless one is accidentally written off.. We have used Yamaha and Suzuki in the past but don't think they cut it as well as the Hondas, like the colour too
    I heard something like that on the news too @Lead Cow

Looking to buy a new quad shortly and will most probably go for another Honda .

I've thought of getting one of the 250s as well just for getting the herd in as those large quads would be so hard on the juice ? Most probably get another 420 again with Kiwi bars and a rego .

We have a honda 420 and then dirt bikes/2 wheelers. I think quads are overrated. I think if we did it again we'd buy a side by side. However they are cheaper in the U.S. Than in Aus/NZ so that might be why I swing that way.

Quads are dangerous to carry a second person so if limiting to 1 person might as well make it a dirt bike that uses 1/4 of the fuel.

Towing irrigators with them (looooongg k lines) wears out clutches, tranny and rear diff. So something with more towing capacity makes sense for me.

Also the sbs makes sense for being able to take a passenger which I frequently do

What sort of 2 wheeler do you have ? Need something with no clutch obviously so that would rule out a lot of them .

What I don't like about a two wheeler is limited for carrying much and also easily knocked over . Also useless here when it's wet and no good on rough ground either .

Fuel economy is the only upside I see .

I rock a Kona Nunu from circa 2000 but with new forks/shocks, new crank, new seat, new tires,new wheel hubs, new rims and new pedals...pretty much only the frame is original.

:-)
    DiederichFarm
    "You are only as good as your next success, not your last" Sir Jock Stirrup

Fuel economy would be the only upside I could think of too. Otherwise, quads work really well for our system.

Fuel economy would be the only upside I could think of too. Otherwise, quads work really well for our system.

Yeah two wheelers are as good as useless here. Make it hard to shift fences, pull calf trailer, pull the bigger trailer ,carry bags of grain or other stuff.

We use ours for getting cows and moving fences- hang reels in the front and sit on standards.

They are two of the more time consuming jobs. Also just checking pasture and cows.

The four wheeler would only be used for moving effluent and irrigation and feeding calves if I had it my way

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi_Milker View Post
    We use ours for getting cows and moving fences- hang reels in the front and sit on standards.

They are two of the more time consuming jobs. Also just checking pasture and cows.

The four wheeler would only be used for moving effluent and irrigation and feeding calves if I had it my way
    In and out with the clutch walking the herd in ?