Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Quad Bikes

Quote Originally Posted by Lead Cow View Post
    Honda make a light quad bike that is only a 250 but of course you wouldn't tow anything with it . The new cost is not that much more than a two wheel and would be fine for moving stock and such .

I've had a chat to a couple of mechanics about the Can-am brand which look well put together. I was recommended to stay away as they aren't suited for ag use on dairy farms I'm told . Also they are pricey .

Also I know farmers who have owned Polaris bikes and use swear words to describe them!

I still have my old Honda 420 that we bought new in 2010 which has done close to 40,000kms . The motor is fine but all the running gear on it is the problem . We had a comprehensive service done which cost about $800 so decided to just keep it as a spraying bike only .

I have looked at buying a bigger quad that could be used to spread urea when ground conditions are marginal and maybe other heavy towing . Hard to justify the cost .
    We find the same that often the engine is gpod but everything else is wrecked.... That is the attraction of 2 wheelers for me is less parts and maintenance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi_Milker View Post
    We find the same that often the engine is gpod but everything else is wrecked.... That is the attraction of 2 wheelers for me is less parts and maintenance.

Yes I agree . Some of the negatives though:

Leave it on the track accidentally and cows will knock it over .

Get off in a wet paddock to shift a fence and stand sinks in and falls over .

Give a rougher ride on rough ground .

Not a lot of capacity to carry items like fencing materials etc .

Can't tow anything .
    "Those people who say they have no time for bodily exercise will soon have to find time for illness ". Joseph Pilates

Yes I agree . Some of the negatives though:

Leave it on the track accidentally and cows will knock it over .

Get off in a wet paddock to shift a fence and stand sinks in and falls over .

Give a rougher ride on rough ground .

Not a lot of capacity to carry items like fencing materials etc .

Can't tow anything .
    Yeah absolutely all relevant!

I think we will replace one quad with one and then play it by ear seeing how it goes...

Oh and you left one out... effluent hoses hidden in a paddock

If you bought a two wheel , what would you buy?
    "Those people who say they have no time for bodily exercise will soon have to find time for illness ". Joseph Pilates

Tasmania, Australia where the grass is always green

Can see what you mean by using a two wheeler to check a pump or some other similar task, but isn't it easier to go under fences and gates on a quad?
    Two wheelers are certainly easier to go over portables. Guess it's a horses for courses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Lead Cow
    In NZ I had used the Yamaha AG200 (4 stroke) and AG100 (2 stroke) I like the 200 but they are heavy brutes.

In USA the CRF range seems good. They make a 150 geared towards recreation rather than racing. I'd look seriously at them.

Cannot get the farm type range in the US as far as I am aware

Quote Originally Posted by freddobonanza View Post
    Can see what you mean by using a two wheeler to check a pump or some other similar task, but isn't it easier to go under fences and gates on a quad?
    Two wheelers are certainly easier to go over portables. Guess it's a horses for courses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I go over the fences on the 2 wheeler too but most are only two wires. I'm hoping to put bars on one of the 4 wheelers for going straight over fences too. Similar to pivot walkers

What is the legal situation there with helmets ?

It's a legal requirement to be wearing a helmet at all times here now whether owner or employee etc . There is a never ending list of accidents and deaths that keep hitting the news. However , I don't wear one myself unless I'm on the road .

What is the legal situation there with helmets ?

It's a legal requirement to be wearing a helmet at all times here now whether owner or employee etc . There is a never ending list of accidents and deaths that keep hitting the news. However , I don't wear one myself unless I'm on the road .
    There is no situation haha. We offer them but not mandatory

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi_Milker View Post
    @Lead Cow
    In NZ I had used the Yamaha AG200 (4 stroke) and AG100 (2 stroke) I like the 200 but they are heavy brutes.

In USA the CRF range seems good. They make a 150 geared towards recreation rather than racing. I'd look seriously at them.

Cannot get the farm type range in the US as far as I am aware

What type of bike do other grazing dairys use ?

I remember, years back to the old Honda trikes . My folks had one and they were quite dangerous **** things really . If you put your foot out you would run it up your leg . Also , I can vaguely recall my dad owning a Kawaski mountain goat 100 which had chains and cleats on the back tyre . This probably the early 1970s , shows how old I am !