Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beef to dairy!

I vote no.

401. Plenty of equity laying around, equip tractors, land ect. I also already have a lender who said their going to give us the money once we present them with a business plan and some numbers for what were building... Or atleast they sound very interested. I figure with the beef cattle we have we might not break even on selling ours and buying dairy but it should be within reason. In the last week or so we've talked with some milk buyers and most are suggesting we raise jerseys and go for components and not volume. That sounds like a good idea to me. Also since I'm below thirty in age their seems to be a good bit of government money out their, but id really rather not go that way

Every once and a while you hear of someone without livestock experience that starts out. I think the key to making it work is to surround yourself with a good group of advisors a good nutritionist, vet, A.I tech that can help guide you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherryfarmboy60 View Post
    401. Plenty of equity laying around, equip tractors, land ect. I also already have a lender who said their going to give us the money once we present them with a business plan and some numbers for what were building... Or atleast they sound very interested. I figure with the beef cattle we have we might not break even on selling ours and buying dairy but it should be within reason. In the last week or so we've talked with some milk buyers and most are suggesting we raise jerseys and go for components and not volume. That sounds like a good idea to me. Also since I'm below thirty in age their seems to be a good bit of government money out their, but id really rather not go that way
    Well that all sounds good, but I would still go least cost wherever you can except the barn design. I would go crossbreds vs jersry's probably. Jersey calves are nothing like beef calves.

Quote Originally Posted by torch318 View Post
    Every once and a while you hear of someone without livestock experience that starts out. I think the key to making it work is to surround yourself with a good group of advisors a good nutritionist, vet, A.I tech that can help guide you.
    I agree. If this is really in your heart, you might be able to do it. Personally if I was you, I would, but I wouldn't use all or most of your equity to start out.

Quote Originally Posted by torch318 View Post
    While these can be sources for good advise, they may not always have understand your goals or have your best interest in mind.

Every situation is different. The equipment you currently have may not work on a dairy nearly as well as it does on your beef operation.

Start small, cut costs, use your labor to build equity.....And expect every plan to take twice as long and pay half what you think it will.

Quote Originally Posted by whistle pig View Post
    While these can be sources for good advise, they may not always have understand your goals or have your best interest in mind.

Every situation is different. The equipment you currently have may not work on a dairy nearly as well as it does on your beef operation.

Start small, cut costs, use your labor to build equity.....And expect every plan to take twice as long and pay half what you think it will.
    That made me laugh, but it is a very true statement!

So far I've come up with this, $121k for a new building for the milking parlor. $70k for the milking equipment, and lastly I have an$1800 estimate per new free stall and 10-30k for manure storage. Cattle at most out of pocket would be 10k. So ball park $300-310. To get up and running with new everything, would be a really nice setup. Any suggestions on best milking parlor.

What other equipment do you think other than a tmr?

If you are able, automatic alley scrapers may be the best return on investment you will ever make.

what kind of manure storage only costs $30k? we budgeted 10x that and were still short

admittedly this was for 400 cows for 400 days and we had to redo some earthwork

So far I've come up with this, $121k for a new building for the milking parlor. $70k for the milking equipment, and lastly I have an$1800 estimate per new free stall and 10-30k for manure storage. Cattle at most out of pocket would be 10k. So ball park $300-310. To get up and running with new everything, would be a really nice setup. Any suggestions on best milking parlor.
    It's 1800 per new freestall? Dang I didnt know that. I bought my used ones for 50 a piece, plus some new lags.
    Does that include installation?
    -Andrew Kern, Kerncrest LLC
    https://www.facebook.com/Kerncrest

I have no idea what you have or don't have....Just speaking in general from the beef operations I see around here.

At the risk of being "that guy" ......I don't know your situation, but most established dairy's wouldn't be able to add the overhead you are talking about here.

Quote Originally Posted by akern47 View Post
    It's 1800 per new freestall? Dang I didnt know that. I bought my used ones for 50 a piece, plus some new lags.
    Does that include installation?

ummm...pretty sure he's talking about the cost of the whole barn per stall.

ummm...pretty sure he's talking about the cost of the whole barn per stall.
    Ah I see

Tasmania, Australia where the grass is always green

Have you considered installing a robot?

Our total overhead for the dairy would be what we spend on the buildings and cows. Also I owe 15k on a nh h7230 mower, but other than that we would be free and clear for our start up... How does the guy buying a new $600k farm and spend $300k on cows and equipment make it and we couldn't at only $350k? We looked at robots and I think it's more than what we could afford.

Hmm interesting, my thoughts are from being a dairy farmer that the the only way I would step into something that you are proposing is with robots.

A single robot milks about 50 right? At about 200k?

A single robot milks about 50 right? At about 200k?
    55-60 on average I think. Ya doesn't make sense to me financially either.

Thought it was about 60-70 cows a robot, but anyway drdiederich would be able to say how many and under what conditions. You can buy second hand boxes that are in good condition and not that old for ~$120k.
    I guess my point was more that milking 50 cows 2x, 365 days a year would be a lot of effort especially if you are the sole milker. The commitment would be very tiring.