Thread: Virtual Fencing

Default Virtual Fencing

Just reading today about a trial wherecowswear collars fitted with GPS receivers to know where a virtual fence is located . Collars emitt a noise when cattle approach a boundary line . If they continue they would receive a mild shock .

Sounds a bit like those security systems for keeping dogs contained from wandering .

http://www.csiro.au/Organisation-Str...g-Project.aspx
    "Those people who say they have no time for bodily exercise will soon have to find time for illness ". Joseph Pilates

Can't imagine animals rights people allowing that.

I feel like the training period would be long and that the frequent movement to different paddocks would make it excessively difficult to achieve success
    DiederichFarm
    "You are only as good as your next success, not your last" Sir Jock Stirrup

Quote Originally Posted by drdiederich View Post
    I feel like the training period would be long and that the frequent movement to different paddocks would make it excessively difficult to achieve success
    I agree. Fences need both an incentive(barbed wire, electric, thorns, solid barrier, etc) and a visual cue. The only way I would use collars like that is if it was backing up a hedge or dilapidated fence-row.

I could also possibly see this being used for several family cows in a non-intensive-grazing situation, where the cows are in the same large pasture for years.

Quote Originally Posted by kipps View Post
    I agree. Fences need both an incentive(barbed wire, electric, thorns, solid barrier, etc) and a visual cue. The only way I would use collars like that is if it was backing up a hedge or dilapidated fence-row.

I could also possibly see this being used for several family cows in a non-intensive-grazing situation, where the cows are in the same large pasture for years.
    agree here. It may be cost effective to keep cows out of a muddy spot that may be hard to access/ fence?

Tasmania, Australia where the grass is always green

It would be handy for dry cows or young stock on runoff blocks that are not close.

Quote Originally Posted by kipps View Post

I would be happy if barbed wire was never invented.

Thinking about the concept more, this is brilliant! It would be great if you could set the break fence to continuously move throughout the feed/day, thus offering fresh feed all the time. In grazing systems, the cows that are last to the fresh break often miss out on the best pick of feed. You could set your farm up in a myriad of ways depending on where your drinking water access is, thus always back fencing paddocks, which in turn promotes more growth. Maybe even use the fence to herd the cows and encourage them out of the paddock towards the dairy.. (The mind boggles)..

Quote Originally Posted by freddobonanza View Post
    Thinking about the concept more, this is brilliant! It would be great if you could set the break fence to continuously move throughout the feed/day, thus offering fresh feed all the time. In grazing systems, the cows that are last to the fresh break often miss out on the best pick of feed. You could set your farm up in a myriad of ways depending on where your drinking water access is, thus always back fencing paddocks, which in turn promotes more growth. Maybe even use the fence to herd the cows and encourage them out of the paddock towards the dairy.. (The mind boggles)..
    Agree. If it works properly it could have massive potential. Like the article said batteries will be a huge issue and a long way off solving it. Power hungry resources such as gps and the little electric shock. I mean we still can't even get an iPhone to last the whole day.

Very true and we can't even keep a hardwired electric fence up and running..

I have heard of local guys setting up a few hot wires with disconnects that have a timer: one lets go in the morning, next one lets go in aft, etc....

I think these are in intensive grazing situations, where they are putting a few hundred animals on an acre or two for an hour or two. They would be setting these up every day...

At least with this, there would be a visual fence that the cows could understand: I wouldn't give my cows enough credit to figure out an invisible fence

Well , there's a bit of movement with the virtual fencing technology.

Should be interesting to see where it leads to http://adf.farmonline.com.au/news/ma...e/2754962.aspx
    "Those people who say they have no time for bodily exercise will soon have to find time for illness ". Joseph Pilates

Do you have a dollar amount in mind @Lead Cow, as to what you'd be happy to pay per year per collar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tell you, I'm excited about the prospect...if it works!
    DiederichFarm
    "You are only as good as your next success, not your last" Sir Jock Stirrup

Quote Originally Posted by freddobonanza View Post
    Do you have a dollar amount in mind @Lead Cow, as to what you'd be happy to pay per year per collar?

Havn't thought that far ahead . Thought it was interesting that the NZ fencing company, Galagher , have invested in the company that is developing the technology .

Probs a wise move, look what happened to Kodak when they turned their nose at digital...