Thread: Milking goats

Default Milking goats

I went to our states farm show and saw that a local creamery is in need of more goats milk. The price has been $50 a hundred for quite some time now. They said they would give me as many baby goats as I needed to get started. You can be milking a goat in 15 mo from birth. They said the 300 goat goal is quite profitable. I'm going to go visit the creamers own farm tomorrow and have a chat. What am I missing?

A good friend of mine started milking 100 goats last year. He gets about 6-7# a day and let me tell you those little udders are FULL.

A lot of people are getting into this right now, bred females are bringing close to $500.

Compared to cows, You can get into this with little up front cost, but it would seem to me this market is poised to be flooded rather quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by whistle pig View Post
    A good friend of mine started milking 100 goats last year. He gets about 6-7# a day and let me tell you those little udders are FULL.

A lot of people are getting into this right now, bred females are bringing close to $500.

Compared to cows, You can get into this with little up front cost, but it would seem to me this market is poised to be flooded rather quickly.
    Le Clar Goat Farms in Calumetville, WI is reportedly teaming up with a BTO in order to milk 9,000 dairy goats.

Quote Originally Posted by cousinit View Post
    Le Clar Goat Farms in Calumetville, WI is reportedly teaming up with a BTO in order to milk 9,000 dairy goats.
    This is true. From my source who works with Milk Source on the nutrition end, the milk from the operation will be used for cheese. Milk Source already operates one goat farm near Madison. The goats will be milked on a 96 stall rotary.

Sent from my SM-G925R6 using Tapatalk