Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using Teat Seal on Heifers

Default Using Teat Seal on Heifers

I use blanket DC and TS on everything but have been thinking about teat sealing all the rising 2yr old heifers as well . A few people do this locally with good results .

Is it worth it?
    "Those people who say they have no time for bodily exercise will soon have to find time for illness ". Joseph Pilates

I would be interested in knowing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lead Cow View Post
    I use blanket DC and TS on everything but have been thinking about teat sealing all the rising 2yr old heifers as well . A few people do this locally with good results .

Is it worth it?
    I'll sell up before anyone gets me treating heifers before they calve, it makes no sense. heifers shouldn't have mastitis, find the problem.

I find the vet clinics push hard for it. Nice boost in sales for them vs just telling the farmer to calve the heifers somewhere clean.

Having done it then not done it...

I would only do it again if wintering on crops on a very wet farm

Must have some sort of death wish to want to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi_Milker View Post
    Having done it then not done it...

I would only do it again if wintering on crops on a very wet farm
    Did you do it yourself on the platform or did vets do it etc ?
    "Those people who say they have no time for bodily exercise will soon have to find time for illness ". Joseph Pilates

Tasmania, Australia where the grass is always green

Good question @Lead Cow, I've heard good things about it too. Pretty sure I've seen journal articles before that I'll try and dig up for you.

Dug up these references.. They tend to say that teat sealant is beneficial (not with a dollar figure) to cow health; however, it is noted in the 2012 article that they are more important in environments that favour pathogens..

De Vliegher, S, Fox, L, Piepers, S, McDougall, S & Barkema, H 2012, 'Invited review: Mastitis in dairy heifers: Nature of the disease, potential impact, prevention, and control', Journal of Dairy Science, vol. 95, no. 3, pp. 1025-1040.

Parker, K, Compton, C, Anniss, F, Heuer, C & McDougall, S 2008, 'Quarter-level analysis of subclinical and clinical mastitis in primiparous heifers following the use of a teat sealant or an injectable antibiotic, or both, precalving', Journal of Dairy Science, vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 169-181.

Parker, K, Compton, C, Anniss, F, Weir, A, Heuer, C & McDougall, S 2007, 'Subclinical and clinical mastitis in heifers following the use of a teat sealant precalving', Journal of Dairy Science, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 207-218.

Thanks Freddo .

Bazza is right though , it's a service the vets are pushing a bit . Another job and another cost .

However , each time you get a heifer come in with mastitis , clean calving area or otherwise , you'll think it over perhaps ?

However , each time you get a heifer come in with mastitis , clean calving area or otherwise , you'll think it over perhaps ?
    If you a getting low single digit percent of fresh heifer mastitis I'll think along the lines of if she gets mastitis that easy on the truck is probably a better place her.
    Last edited by Bazza; 04-25-2016 at 03:28 PM.

Thanks Freddo .
    No worries. Let me know if you can't access them, as I can PM you a PDF.

Hoards had a write up about this recently. Looks very promising. Study was done in the southeast where the fly problems in the summer can be terrible on a wet year. The study showed the heifers that were dry treated had no staph infections at calving and their SCC was half that of the untreated. Interesting read.

Do you see much variance in the quality of teat seal between brands ?

Did it, then stopped. Zero change, marginal savings in materials, huge reduction in stress to livestock and handlers. Much time saved.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Steinberger View Post
    Hoards had a write up about this recently. Looks very promising. Study was done in the southeast where the fly problems in the summer can be terrible on a wet year. The study showed the heifers that were dry treated had no staph infections at calving and their SCC was half that of the untreated. Interesting read.
    Wouldn't treating a naturally sealed teat increase the risk of indroducing a bug into an udder??? I pity the poor bugger who has to treat heifers who have no udder and have never been touched before, trying to avoid being kicked by cows while dry treating cows is bad enough.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianCowMan View Post
    Wouldn't treating a naturally sealed teat increase the risk of indroducing a bug into an udder??? I pity the poor bugger who has to treat heifers who have no udder and have never been touched before, trying to avoid being kicked by cows while dry treating cows is bad enough.
    A tip table is better than a stand up chute for dry treating heifers, but they both royally suck. I have absolutely zero intentions of dry treating my own heifers. Put that labor into making cleaner facilities and fewer flies and be much farther ahead.

Side note: I almost lost it when the BTO thought dry treating heifers twice before they freshened was going to be the best.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianCowMan View Post
    You have to be very clean which is easier said than done.

People have been quoting research showing the benifits of teat seal on heifers. Yeah sure, there was also some research showing treating every heifer as they freshen with injectable Antibotics for mastitis also lowered mastitis risk in heifers. Not something that you would think should be recommended though.

If your heifers a gretting mastitis you would think your mind should go to what's going wrong rather than shove things up teats but really if that's what people want to do, go for it. It's not contributing to antibotic resistance so that's good, that is if you are only using TS.
    Last edited by Bazza; 05-26-2016 at 03:16 PM.

I've been going the other way and experimenting with doing less dry cow and test seal. I experimented with selective dry cow and TS on the cows we were drying off over Jan and feb.

We dry treated/sealed teats on heifers for quite a few years. Stopped doing it in the past six months. Kind of a risk as we don't have adequate dry cow facilities and when overcrowded the spillover dry cows end up going out on dirt (ie: mud when it rains). The consequences of stopping haven't been terrible. Slightly elevated SCC on first lactation cows but very few clinical cases. We'll see what happens as the heat comes, I may pay for this yet. I know when we first started dry treating heifers it was because of the same situation I have now, though we did do a bunch of excavating in the dry cow dirt yard for better drainage.

I'll just have to deal with it until I can put up a new dry cow shed.

This was a good thread from last year and influenced my decision not to go the way of using TS on heifers . Especially good to read of guys who have done it then stopped Etc . Still get the odd one come in with mastitis and I do wonder what we could do . With grazing farms you obviously want them on a nice clean area of pasture but a lot easier said than done once it gets wet .