Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Imrestor

Just ordered my first box. I'll be monitoring a few things, obviously fresh cow mastitis. I also think Transition Cow Index from DHI will be another figure to watch. And of course reproductive figures. The costs per cow definitely give some pause but if I can quantify areas where we see improvements it should easily justify the cost. I don't want to dismiss something based on cost alone.

I'd be interested how others will attempt to quantify the return on this.

I'm measuring all my transition cow illness, mastitis, SCC, ketosis prevalence, repro, pyridoxine...anything and everything. I'm gonna compare the last 6 months vs the next 6...and a year ago 6 vs upcoming 6. I'm looking for anything that might change. Obviously is slated as a mastitis thing but I'm more curious as to other benefits I might find.
    DiederichFarm
    "You are only as good as your next success, not your last" Sir Jock Stirrup

So to expand a bit...my original post was eaten by tapatalk when I was moving from wifi to 4g....

I know my coats for treatment of each my illnesses. I am not counting university data on production loss or gains...only looking at actual change that I measure through my meters. If I can't pay for it with my hard economic stats than I'll quit after my 6 month trial. I do struggle with transition animal mastitis, so I am hoping that alone will make it worth its while.

I'm happy about the initial trial period deal they are offering; I think it makes it easier for me to give it a shot...I'm going to compare as if I'm paying full price though.

I also wonder about the benefits if only given once...either pre calving or at calving. I'm not going to try that initially though.
    DiederichFarm

Anybody going to try giving both shots but half the dose?

Tasmania, Australia where the grass is always green

Quote Originally Posted by BLOOMFIELD View Post
    Anybody going to try giving both shots but half the dose?
    I'd love to try a few methods, as I love trialling and experimenting with new products but currently can't in Australia

Gave my first eight doses just now.

I stayed mine on Tuesday
    DiederichFarm

I've calved in my first few to receive both doses. So far, so good....not that enough time has passed to know anything, just updating.
    DiederichFarm

I should have a few calved in by the time I get home from California on Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by ElJefe View Post
    I should have a few calved in by the time I get home from California on Tuesday.
    Work or pleasure or both?
    DiederichFarm

Quote Originally Posted by drdiederich View Post
    Work or pleasure or both?
    Pleasure. At least there has been a cold snap here, highs only around 100 instead of 115 like earlier this week.

Updates, Dan & El Jefe?

I've been giving the first shot due on Tuesdays and the second when cows freshen. I can't really say if there's been impact or not...not enough time has lapsed and I haven't gotten my milk tested for management information
    DiederichFarm

I'm probably not going to truly evaluate things until I'm on it through the sixth month period where I get a rebate for using. Should have a healthy sample size by then.

I tried enough doses for 50 heifers/cows. I only wanted to lower ft scc and # of treatments for fresh cows. I have not seen enough data to prove that it works.

Let us know if you see something.

Imrestor was brought up on the MilkHouse Facebook group. I had six cows (out of 80 so far) that were treated with Imrestor and had a SCC at dry off of >1,000,000. All six were <200,000 SCC on first test. That is in conjunction with a normal dry treat, orbseal treatment. Historically, our dry cow cures are around 60-70% anyway.

One person mentioned that perhaps giving it to cows that were high SCC at dry off would be better than everybody, but my repsonse is that it doesn't necessarily preclude benefits that I haven't observed yet in all cows.

I can say that if you get into a patch of moldy corn silage, no amount of anything will help as I found out in the last week.

Update anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by cousinit View Post
    Update anyone?
    I was just thinking about this thread! I'm quite curious!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a believer. We've dramatically reduced antibiotic usage in our post fresh group. It's labeled for mastitis but my experience is showing benefits beyond that. Our protocol has always been putting fresh cows with temps >103 on Ceftiflex (or Naxcel or Excenel). I used to buy a six pack of Ceftiflex bottles every two weeks and now I haven't refilled in over a month.

I won't necessarily say that this is some kind of miracle drug but I've seen enough to go ahead and keep on using as the savings on antibiotics are more than paying for the cost of the drug. Hard to say about any milk gains as we are transitioning off BST at the moment. Time wise, I'll soon be able to replace BST shots with Imrestor shots which only take about 5-10 minutes per week.