Thread: Feeding Biotin

Default Feeding Biotin

Is anybody feeding Biotin in an effort to improve hoof health, particularly sole ulcers? Is it working as advertized? What is the cost?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I am feeding biotin. I have only been on it for 1 month. Anyone I have talked to about it claims you need 4 months to see a difference.

Costs 4 cents per cow here

www.dairyhack.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dairyhack View Post
    I am feeding biotin. I have only been on it for 1 month. Anyone I have talked to about it claims you need 4 months to see a difference.

Costs 4 cents per cow here

www.dairyhack.com
    What's your feeding rate? Notice anything yet?

I just started with it last load. I guess we will see if i notice any changes in a few months. Started feeding Zinpro as well. My goal is to reduce sole ulcers. I think i have to many cows lame with them.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianCowMan View Post
    I just started with it last load. I guess we will see if i notice any changes in a few months. Started feeding Zinpro as well. My goal is to reduce sole ulcers. I think i have to many cows lame with them.

I've been on it since September. Gained 2/10ths point of bf. Consistently running 4.9. Put at least 50 cows over table every month for maintenance trims and lame cows. Wrapped 3 warts this months on 54 cows through the chute

www.dairyhack.com

I've been on it since September. Gained 2/10ths point of bf. Consistently running 4.9. Put at least 50 cows over table every month for maintenance trims and lame cows. Wrapped 3 warts this months on 54 cows through the chute

www.dairyhack.com
    So is this an improvement from where you were before? How many cows are you milking in total? How many warts or ulcers did you see before you used biotin?

Quote Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
    So is this an improvement from where you were before? How many cows are you milking in total? How many warts or ulcers did you see before you used biotin?
    Milk 410. Try to get cows over the table 3 times a year. Always wrapped 4-5 cows with warts per month and 6-7 cows with ulcers. Sole ulcers seem greatly improved but we are also not in hot weather. August trim list had 14 ulcers on 58 cows. That pushed me to the biotin

www.dairyhack.com

Milk 410. Try to get cows over the table 3 times a year. Always wrapped 4-5 cows with warts per month and 6-7 cows with ulcers. Sole ulcers seem greatly improved but we are also not in hot weather. August trim list had 14 ulcers on 58 cows. That pushed me to the biotin

www.dairyhack.com
    I have been feeding biotin for at least six months, have had one sole ulcer on 65 cows. Today I had 19 on table and wrapped 42 feet, mostly warts. Obviously cheery picked the bad ones, wrapped with tet, now I get to find out if I dump my milk or not.

Quote Originally Posted by always something View Post
    I have been feeding biotin for at least six months, have had one sole ulcer on 65 cows. Today I had 19 on table and wrapped 42 feet, mostly warts. Obviously cheery picked the bad ones, wrapped with tet, now I get to find out if I dump my milk or not.
    Are you running a footbath too?

www.dairyhack.com

No foot bath on my farm, I did the math, after 20 years of the recommended rate of copper sulfate my land will start having negative yield effects....... Cows don't make a farm, land does, cows are disposable and replaceable, land is not. Besides, foot baths don't solve the problem, they just kick the can down the road.

Wondering what everyone's current status is on feeding biotin? Still feeding it? notice an improvement?

Quote Originally Posted by Baazevedo1 View Post
    Wondering what everyone's current status is on feeding biotin? Still feeding it? notice an improvement?
    Still feeding it. I think it helped really well this summer as the cows are walking really well right now considering we are just coming out of the summer heat. 1 cow on a block right now because of a toe abcess, no new sole ulcers which is what i was trying to improve on.

I started feeding Zinpro at the same time and now im wondering if its helping my repro. My 12 month rolling 21 day preg rate is currently 38%.

I hope this success continues and am thinking of moving my VWP up from 60 days to 75. Thoughts? Currently drying cows up less then 300 DIM.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianCowMan View Post
    Still feeding it. I think it helped really well this summer as the cows are walking really well right now considering we are just coming out of the summer heat. 1 cow on a block right now because of a toe abcess, no new sole ulcers which is what i was trying to improve on.

I started feeding Zinpro at the same time and now im wondering if its helping my repro. My 12 month rolling 21 day preg rate is currently 38%.

Awesome. I'm wondering If you also saw a bump in milk production? There's several studies that noted a slight increase.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Baazevedo1 View Post
    Awesome. I'm wondering If you also saw a bump in milk production? There's several studies that noted a slight increase.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    No volume increase but it may have contributed to a bf production per cow increase from around 1.2 to a 1.3 kgs per day. We have been producing 1.2 for quite some time but for the last 6-9 months ive been over 1.3.

Last edited by CanadianCowMan; 10-13-2017 at 11:40 PM.