Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: How to get time off

My point to everyone here is, if you are a relatively small farmer, don't plan on doing any milking past the age of 60. Do whatever you have to do to avoid it. We both thought we were in pretty good shape & thought we could tough this thing out till 65, and we even have regular milking help. This winter we found out we can't do even one milking by ourselves. Your body has a limit. Depending on others completely isn't the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by cousinit View Post
    My point to everyone here is, if you are a relatively small farmer, don't plan on doing any milking past the age of 60. Do whatever you have to do to avoid it. We both thought we were in pretty good shape & thought we could tough this thing out till 65, and we even have regular milking help. This winter we found out we can't do even one milking by ourselves. Your body has a limit. Depending on others completely isn't the way to go.
    Sounds like good advice , ha ha .
    "Those people who say they have no time for bodily exercise will soon have to find time for illness ". Joseph Pilates

I managed to go to Nashville last week and everything was still in one piece when I got home. Left my farm phone in the hotel room most of the time and barely gave the farm a thought the whole time.

I played 72 holes of golf last weekend... came back and went for an evening drive sand they were still working because the weather was good and was going to rain midweek

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi_Milker View Post
    I played 72 holes of golf last weekend... came back and went for an evening drive sand they were still working because the weather was good and was going to rain midweek

You must have a dedicated crew.

Yeah I took a few days break post breeding and we had been getting behind due to the weather so they knuckled down and put some hours in. Will bring after work drinks next time everyone is on

Default Time off

Quote Originally Posted by cousinit View Post
    Your body has its limits!! Amen
    Am interested in hiring a calf feeder......what is the going rate....$$$ per calf.....number of calves fed per day, etc........would be interested in feed back

I pay by the hour. Paying someone by the animal just encourages them to rush... feeding calves shouldn't be rushed

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
    DiederichFarm
    "You are only as good as your next success, not your last" Sir Jock Stirrup

Absolutely by the hour. We try to keep our absolute new hires out of the calf barn and only introduce them to it if it seems like they have the attention to detail required

Quote Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
    Absolutely by the hour. We try to keep our absolute new hires out of the calf barn and only introduce them to it if it seems like they have the attention to detail required
    Seems like a good idea . Do women make better calf rearers than men ? At least in the early stages .
    "Those people who say they have no time for bodily exercise will soon have to find time for illness ". Joseph Pilates

The potential is certainly there. But we do have one girl who started this summer who is slow as molasses and will be staying in the parlour where we can work alongside her and get her pace up to snuff, so she wouldn't be working alone for a month or two yet. Anyone who has been a better fit is usually ready to work independently after a few weeks

Default calf feeders??

Quote Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
    By the Hour?? seems to be the consenses, hummmmm....but doesnt that make them drag their feet... making a two hour job into four hours??
    I guess there is no one true answer that works for everyone, and yes I feel women make a much better calf feeder. No offence guys!!

We had women calf feeders. They seem to have more patience with the calves, but that's just my observation from my experiences.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

We are fortunate enough to be in a position where if someone can turn a 2hour job into a 4 hour job, they will be doing it while working for someone else! Whether they are in the parlour or the calf barn, if you can't keep up to the pace we set after a reasonable learning curve, it's time to have a serious chat about whether or not them working with us is still a good fit....

Quote Originally Posted by Holstein Lady View Post
    By the Hour?? seems to be the consenses, hummmmm....but doesnt that make them drag their feet... making a two hour job into four hours??
    I guess there is no one true answer that works for everyone, and yes I feel women make a much better calf feeder. No offence guys!!
    By the hour or full time on salary. How long does it take to feed your calves if I may ask? My bias is towards a female calf feeder but Attention To Detail is by far the most important trait to hire on. Patience and cleanliness are not far behind.

Pail feed our calves here in plastic pails. Never washed a pail in our lives. Use same pail for every calf. There's never any residue left in the pail. The pail is put under the pipeline drain daily, I guess you could call that washing but there's no scrubbing. This is milk replacer. Lost one calf in the past 12 months.

I am female and hate feeding calves. It's a misconception that women are better at it.
    Last edited by cousinit; 05-25-2017 at 07:25 PM.