Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: How to get time off

Runk, try Craigslist. It's not great but it is free and usually generates some responses.

Finding full time help is a bigger issue than part time help fío those entry level jobs or the kinds typically found on dairies. There might be Spanish language papers in your area... they might be worth looking into but perhaps not.

Word of mouth is usually the best route. Tell everyone you know and tell your current staff to tell people they know. It usually takes longer to find someone that way but referrals tend to work out the best.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
    DiederichFarm
    "You are only as good as your next success, not your last" Sir Jock Stirrup

Quote Originally Posted by drdiederich View Post
    Runk, try Craigslist. It's not great but it is free and usually generates some responses.

Finding full time help is a bigger issue than part time help fío those entry level jobs or the kinds typically found on dairies. There might be Spanish language papers in your area... they might be worth looking into but perhaps not.

Word of mouth is usually the best route. Tell everyone you know and tell your current staff to tell people they know. It usually takes longer to find someone that way but referrals tend to work out the best.

I had bad luck with Craigslist. All responses had no drivers license or a criminal record. I tell neighbor farms I'm looking for someone and I've even put a sign in our front yard. Good employees tend to hang around good employees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tasmania, Australia where the grass is always green

Second that, our experience has always given us great workers through word of mouth / referrals.

Quote Originally Posted by cousinit View Post
    So glad you have all the answers. Did you read the part where he doesn't want his hours reduced?
    If you go back a few years on your posts, Dr, you will be reminded of how you managed employees. In one post you said you cut their hours when they screwed up. Must have not been the owner's fault that time ��

Managing employees is getting tougher & tougher. Runk went on quite a diatribe herself. There is not an inifinite number of good ones. There is keen competition between employers. With the border situation, it will only get worse.

Agri-Staff USA conducted a survey of area Hispanic employees a few months ago. I'm finding out if I can share the responses or if it is proprietary information. Employers will be surprised at some of the responses.

We just had an opening, no problem filling it. Multiple applicants without advertising anywhere. I can pretty well leave it up to my current employees to bring new people on. I haven't had to use an agency or any advertising for about ten years now.

Quote Originally Posted by ElJefe View Post
    We just had an opening, no problem filling it. Multiple applicants without advertising anywhere. I can pretty well leave it up to my current employees to bring new people on. I haven't had to use an agency or any advertising for about ten years now.
    You are in that zone now where you can offer rotating schedules & everyone's happy.

El Jefe, are you at all concerned about the border situation? Or do you think law-abiding workers will be able to slip through? Your workers now are like cows, old & reliable. But what about " fresh heifer" employees? Or are most of yours 2nd gen?

You are in that zone now where you can offer rotating schedules & everyone's happy.

El Jefe, are you at all concerned about the border situation? Or do you think law-abiding workers will be able to slip through? Your workers now are like cows, old & reliable. But what about " fresh heifer" employees? Or are most of yours 2nd gen?
    My last two hires are pretty fresh to the United States, both just a few months here. There was no border situation because they didn't cross the border the way you probably think they did.

My last two hires are pretty fresh to the United States, both just a few months here. There was no border situation because they didn't cross the border the way you probably think they did.
    Humm, are they coming across through more ingenious ways? Sessions won't be able to track them? ;-)

I'm surprised the Trump administration has not mentioned mandatory E-verify yet.
    Last edited by cousinit; 04-18-2017 at 11:07 AM.

Humm, are they coming across through more ingenious ways? Sessions won't be able to track them? ;-)

I'm surprised the Trump administration has not mentioned mandatory E-verify yet.
    No, it's nothing new. You tried to argue with Dr a while back that they don't come this way.

Trump is full of hot air. He's not going to do anything massive.

No, it's nothing new. You tried to argue with Dr a while back that they don't come this way.

Trump is full of hot air. He's not going to do anything massive.
    Oh the tourist visa. I remember well.

Good luck.

We hace tried CL multiple times with no sucess. It costs $15 to put ad on for 30 days. The longest we have had someone last is 40 hours and the shortest is 4 hours. Once they realize they need to work and meet expectations and can't do what they want when they are suppose to be working they quit. Sitting on their phones and watching the rest of us do their work is not cool. The others have so much experience but wreck more than they make in a 2 weeks time.

Quote Originally Posted by milklotsofcows View Post
    I had bad luck with Craigslist. All responses had no drivers license or a criminal record. I tell neighbor farms I'm looking for someone and I've even put a sign in our front yard. Good employees tend to hang around good employees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Very true. There are a lot of people with criminal records. Depends on the crime and when on if it matters. A sign in front is a good idea as well. Best yet is like you said, good employees tend to give word of mouth to good employees prospects.

DiederichFarm

We have found the fresher to the US the better they are...not americanized. Easier to train. Once they speak english they seem to think they are special and can work less and get paid more

Quote Originally Posted by Runk View Post
    We have found the fresher to the US the better they are...not americanized. Easier to train. Once they speak english they seem to think they are special and can work less and get paid more
    Well...they are special. They speak two languages in a nation where that skill is handy in an industry where it's even handier. They are bringing extra skill to the table. Once speaking English isn't a requirement than the ability to do so becomes an added skill.

DiederichFarm

I remember sitting in meetings 20 years ago surrounded by "experts" telling us producers that we had to expand our operations to gain "quality of life".......Been a long time since I heard that phrase.

There is something to be said for speaking 2 languages,but that does not exempt you from doing the job you were hired for. Demanding bankers hours and 3 days off a week in a dairy industry gives a bad vibe. When the owners and operator don't take a single day off. And, their milking and machine operating skills are poor and generally not there. Granted there are good ones out there...if you have one hold on to them. This is what we have found in our area along with other posters on CL we have called each other and asked for suggestions and are trying to help each othwr out since we are in the same boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Runk View Post
    There is something to be said for speaking 2 languages,but that does not exempt you from doing the job you were hired for. Demanding bankers hours and 3 days off a week in a dairy industry gives a bad vibe. When the owners and operator don't take a single day off. And, their milking and machine operating skills are poor and generally not there. Granted there are good ones out there...if you have one hold on to them. This is what we have found in our area along with other posters on CL we have called each other and asked for suggestions and are trying to help each othwr out since we are in the same boat.
    As far as days off go, owners don't matter one whit.

As far as guys taking shifts for other guys in an emergency, when we had 2 employees & one wanted to switch shifts, the other employee never cooperated anyhow. He just said "not my problem, what he do for me?" All of a sudden he knew some English lol.

This thread goes good with a beer in my hand

Sent from my SM-G360R6 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wisjag View Post
    This thread goes good with a beer in my hand

Sent from my SM-G360R6 using Tapatalk
    Hey I have a craft beer in my hand too. If the Brewers & the Bucks both win tonite there will be lots of beer flowing in WI tonite

Too funny, it is all perspective... heck, I get the same thing sometimes... because I work next to my house that I'm "home" when I'm working... thus I'm never working. Or when I'm in my house people think I'm not working...because that bookwork does itself.

I hear ya on the perspective thing. I've been born and raised on a farm, dad worked for 40 some years before ever taking a day of vacation and then he had me to fill in for him, I've milked cows now since I was twelve (first with dad and then later by myself primarily) When I was 28 I took a trip to the Philippines where I met my wife, came home engaged. On eyear later I went back to the PI to bring my fiancee (now my wife) home with me and since 2003 we haven't taken time off other than to go to church on Sundays. My point here is this, I love farming, yeah sure I get tired of the stress many times........and yeah I get rotten attitudes sometimes but all in all my wife supports what we're trying to do here. And that to me is the driving factor that keeps me going without "needing' time off... We milk 50 cows twice /day. used to do the three times by myself for seven years.
    With a strong commitment to me and from me to my wife, we keep going with no plans to stop we're early forty's.
    Last edited by grunex125; 04-24-2017 at 11:38 AM.