Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bovikalc

Default bovikalc

We use bovikalc and like it but have trouble keeping the pills down them. Our gun doesnt seem to push pill out all way. I ordered a different one but was a plastic pos and broke first cow. I see in catalog there is other similar products, one called transition. Anyone use other products and seem easier to give?Thanks

I've been using transition lately. I have used bovikalc before as well. The plastic gun they sent me for transition is shorter than the stainless bovikalc one. It looks like it's half the length and even harder to get the pills to stay down, but I eventually get it and haven't broken the gun yet.

I found the trick with the bovikalc gun was to get it all the way down to where your hand on the handle is against the back of the side of her mouth. I release the pill then wait a like 30 seconds seconds to make sure she swallowed it before pulling it out. Sometimes they can still spit it out but I've had a better success rate this way. Either way, they're a pain.

Don't know if anyone has really good luck (in terms of administration ) with the big pills regardless of brand?

We generally hate giving bovikalc because our neighbor killed a cow giving it, she must have got it down the wrong pipe & she died immediately. I think the neighbor said she gave it to a cow that was lying down & that's. big no-no.

Anyhow I know the pos plastic gun you speak of & we got a metal one now. Husband struggles giving it but we eventually persevere.

I can't help you out on the transition product.

I've given a few, but thought it went well with the cheesy plastic gun. Vet said to dip the gun in water after loading to make pill slide down better. I don't use it much but I have a good dry cow program

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I cut about an inch off of our metal dispensing gun on the advice of our IBA guy. The pill does not push out completely so when you pull the gun out it pulls the pill with it. The new guns are suppose to have a shorter area where the pill is held. After cutting the end off i did polish the end and make sure it was rounded and free of any rough area.

Sent from my SM-G360R6 using Tapatalk

I really prefer the triple calcium bolus's (the big 176 gram size) from AgriLabs: http://www.pbsanimalhealth.com/detai...us/13-863.html

They used to have a offer of buy two cases and they give you a free METAL gun. Or you can buy the metal gun for $27 and use it with the Bovikalc boluses.
    Nature View Farms
    PolledJerseys.com

Quote Originally Posted by yongfarmer89 View Post
    I've given a few, but thought it went well with the cheesy plastic gun. Vet said to dip the gun in water after loading to make pill slide down better. I don't use it much but I have a good dry cow program

I think most on here have a good dry cow program or we wouldn't still be on this forum.

How do you pick & choose which cows get the bovikalc?
    Last edited by cousinit; 02-02-2017 at 08:49 AM.

Vet suggest older cows especially cows that look like they are past due. Like I said I haven't used it much. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the new barn and being able feed a better dry cow program will help me.

Quote Originally Posted by JayHerron View Post
    I really prefer the triple calcium bolus's (the big 176 gram size) from AgriLabs: http://www.pbsanimalhealth.com/detai...us/13-863.html

They used to have a offer of buy two cases and they give you a free METAL gun. Or you can buy the metal gun for $27 and use it with the Bovikalc boluses.
    So that gun listed is the metal one and works with either pill? I don`t see metal one listed for bovikalc. Thanks Jay. I might try cutting little off end like mentioned here. That is what seems to happen, doesnt push out all way sometimes.

Yes the Agrilabs gun is metal and will work with either pill. The plunger on this gun comes all the way to the end, so there is no need to cut any off of it. I work the gun into the back of their mouth, plunge and wait a second for them to swallow before removing the gun. One time in 50 the cow won't swallow and they spit the bolus out. If they are eating, wait for them to swallow the mouth full of feed before trying to give the bolus (been there, done that).

If you buy in bulk, the Agrilab bolus's are about a dollar cheaper per bolus than the Bovikalc. I have Jerseys and give every cow a bolus when they freshen so I go through a lot of bolus's. But it works better than IV (IV if down to quickly elevate blood calcium, but then follow with a bolus for sustained calcium levels).
    Nature View Farms
    PolledJerseys.com

Anybody tried Genex's new calcium product? I've got a case sitting on my porch right now, haven't used it yet or looked at it. Supposed to be smaller than Bovikalc and only needs to be given once (two pills at once rather than one followed by another in 12 hours).

I've been a pretty big fan of Bovikalc. Genex's product was about 70 cents more than my standard Bovikalc pricing. But that 70 cents might be worth the pain in the neck of giving another one 12 hours later, which we usually end up not giving at 12 hours anyway (usually earlier or later, depends when catching the cow to shove a gigantic pill down her throat is more convenient).

Anyway, I'll give a case of this stuff a whirl.

It is intriguing... but would be better yet if it was one pill

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
    DiederichFarm
    "You are only as good as your next success, not your last" Sir Jock Stirrup

Giving those things is a royal pain. Dangerous for the operator & the cow. Neighbor killed 2 cows giving Bovicalc.

We're done with them. Have about 15 left and when they're gone they're gone.

They are smaller than Bovikalc, but not by much. But.... it seems like the first few I gave went down easier. The bolus itself has kind of a slick coating to it.

I've never considered giving Bovikalc dangerous to myself, no more than giving any other pill. I've never killed a cow giving Bovikalc either. Of course that doesn't mean I'd rather catch them twice to shove a big pill down their throat. But I'll do that over IV calcium any day of the week.

We bought 8 bottles of calcium about 2 years ago, and still have 4 left. Those bottles will likely still be here when we sell out this winter. Now it seems the only time we use bottled calcium is for hot mastitis. Quite honestly I cannot remember the last case of milk fever we had, it had to be 3 years ago. If a cow is going to get milk fever, she'll do it before you ever get your bovikalc gun out. Bovicalc is meant to reduce fresh cow disorders, not calving time issues, I thought.

When you're 65 we'll see how much you like to be dealing with a fresh cow's swinging head.

We haven't given the second pill now for at least a year.
    Last edited by cousinit; 06-02-2017 at 08:19 AM.

I've got too much Jersey blood in my herd. That said, I've only had three cases of clinical milk fever in the past year and one was mid lactation. Bovikalc helps with subclinical milk fever which can turn into clinical (especially with Jerseys and Jersey crosses!).

And I don't plan on dealing with too many cows when I'm 65.

Quote Originally Posted by ElJefe View Post
    I've got too much Jersey blood in my herd. That said, I've only had three cases of clinical milk fever in the past year and one was mid lactation. Bovikalc helps with subclinical milk fever which can turn into clinical (especially with Jerseys and Jersey crosses!).

And I don't plan on dealing with too many cows when I'm 65.
    I went to animate. It's reduced my calcium needs at calving a whole bunch. Both clinical and sub clinical

www.dairyhack.com

Anyone giving genex's cal24 a go yet?

Quote Originally Posted by cihguy View Post
    Anyone giving genex's cal24 a go yet?
    I've been trying the Genex product for the past month. It works fine, but I still prefer the Agrilabs triple calcium bolus. The Agrilabs only requires one bolus instead of two.

As an experiment, I tried to use only one Cal24 bolus per cow on a couple cows. It must be a VERY slow release calcium, because the 2 cows started to show signs of milk fever about 12 hours later. Did not seem to get the blood calcium levels up fast enough. Moral of the story: if you use the Cal24, make sure to give both bolus's.

I was disappointed in the packaging of the Cal24. Many broken bolus's in the box I received (shipped by FedEx). Also a couple bolus's were not sealed (thin plastic) but it did not seem to affect the bolus. I did like the fact that you can open a pack without a knife.
    Nature View Farms
    PolledJerseys.com

Neat to hear about your one pill experiment. For me, the "convenience" of Genex's giving 2 pills at once isn't that grand. Fresh cows get locked up usually every milking for a few days to look them over and keep an eye on intakes. So not a big deal to give a bovikalc 12 hours later. Genex guy was high up on how their pill doesn't burn the throat because of a propleyne coating. Vet tells me that farmers who veer off bovikalc for other products, usually come back to bovikalc. (Mind you, they sell bovikalc though)