Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ovsynch not wanted here

Quote Originally Posted by nydairy View Post
    The last thing I'm going to do is rely on a computer for pregnancy confirmation .
    I was a little skeptical at first too. When we milked in the stanchion barn dad preg checked at around 90 days by palpation.
    So far the computer has yet to give me a false positive preg check.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Nice discussions over here ! We have 100 % Holstein herd with prod of 29500 on 2x no bst. We breed of natural heats starting at 50 days with heat detection between 60 - 65 % and 40-45 % conception. Open cows on weekly vet check enroll in ov synch . DHI plus gives me a number of 75 % heat detection but dont know what it's based of. We have 12 % open over 150 dim . Cross breeding might be an option for the future but not sure yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where are you located? That's good breeding. Why would you want to consider cross breeding with a good Holstein herd like that?

Quote Originally Posted by BLOOMFIELD View Post
    Where are you located? That's good breeding. Why would you want to consider cross breeding with a good Holstein herd like that?
    We are in Lodi , cross breeding is not really an option right now but just wonder if you can maintain production with even better repro and other health traits in combination with the hi bred vigor of the crosses.

I love my crossbreds, but with those production numbers and repro numbers I'm not sure it'd be the best way to go? Depends on your milk market (solids pay better?) and transition cow health. You'll also see some feed efficiency improvements.

When my herd was split between crossbreds and Holsteins, my preg rate on crossbreds was typically 6-8% higher. But I'm not sure if that would be true at your already high reproductive efficiency?

Either way, you are doing a splendid job with your Holsteins.

Quote Originally Posted by ElJefe View Post
    I love my crossbreds, but with those production numbers and repro numbers I'm not sure it'd be the best way to go? Depends on your milk market (solids pay better?) and transition cow health. You'll also see some feed efficiency improvements.

When my herd was split between crossbreds and Holsteins, my preg rate on crossbreds was typically 6-8% higher. But I'm not sure if that would be true at your already high reproductive efficiency?

Either way, you are doing a splendid job with your Holsteins.
    Thanks el jefe , we do take pride in our work !