Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grassland

Default Grassland

So as of May 3, some 75 Wisconsin producers need to find a different processor than Grassland, who shipped their milk to Canada? I'm not understanding something. Why is Grassland exporting dairy products to a country that has a quota on their own producers?

Apparently they were exploiting some loophole in the Canadian law and exporting derivative products. The bigger question is will all these guys find a market for their milk? Talk about a cat on a hot tin roof.....

Then "those guys" were at risk shipping to Grassland in the first place.

They were shipping ultra filtered milk. The way the company went about announcing was pretty poor. Find it hard that the producers will find a home for the milk. Nasonville dropped 17 farms last month over losing a sales contract also. Most of those farms sold thier cows.

We are not Grassland producers but attached is the letter that was sent out to the producers being dropped.

.Name:  FB_IMG_1491317598178.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  41.8 KB

Sent from my SM-G360R6 using Tapatalk

Our milk goes into making deep-fried mozzarella sticks (frozen) for sale to taverns, restaurants & grocery stores. There's no shortage of taverns in WI. Seems like a good business model.

Wasn't it not to long ago Grassland got a butter contact with McDonald's,. I thought they figured one million pounds a day extra to supply that. (They dropped a million a day with these cuts) Has McDonald's purchased their own processing plant? (We ship to Grassland, maybe i should know). I wonder if any of the bst elimating is noticed yet? I'm very much aware that x amount of farms have not quit it yet though.

Quote Originally Posted by cihguy View Post
    Wasn't it not to long ago Grassland got a butter contact with McDonald's,. I thought they figured one million pounds a day extra to supply that. (They dropped a million a day with these cuts) Has McDonald's purchased their own processing plant? (We ship to Grassland, maybe i should know). I wonder if any of the bst elimating is noticed yet? I'm very much aware that x amount of farms have not quit it yet though.
    Our BST guy is still making the rounds. I doubt he is on the road just for us. Although he is pushing Imrestor now.

Grassland made a large push for more suppliers here in eastern WI about 2 years ago. My guess is they did not plan on the amount of increased production and the loss of a large contract. The field rep stopped here with attractive numbers which made switching look really good. Glad we didn't switch.

Sent from my SM-G360R6 using Tapatalk

Ya, imrestor might be a good product, I don't know. But I was told elanco is pushing that to make up for the posilac sales decline.

Really is something, our farm gets passed every day by trucks from Lynn's, nasonville, Mullins, foremost and Grassland. Plus one organic milk truck.

Ya, imrestor might be a good product, I don't know. But I was told elanco is pushing that to make up for the posilac sales decline.
    As they should be. Soon the anti-BST agenda will get shoved down everyone's throats I imagine. Even though sexed semen is really the culprit.

I'm a Grassland producer. I did not get cut. Which surprised me. We are pretty far from their plant.

While I would not have been happy to have been dropped, such are the risks of dealing with an independent processor. We get paid better than any Coop that has ever given us a price comparison. But they can also drop us like a bad habit when they feel like it.

I know some people don't like how Grassland has gone about this, but I don't think there really is a good way to go about it.

For now, I'm sitting tight. My field rep told me that nobody is out of the woods yet. So I'm not breathing easy yet.

IMO this will affect the pay price for many milk processors in Wisconsin. Grassland was a huge buyer of "spot" milk and if they have surplus production of their own they won't be bidding on those loads. If nobody wants an extra load of milk and it ends up getting dumped that cost is quickly going to get passed along to the producer.

It's rumored that Grassland owns a herd or two? Of course they didnt get cut.

I will bet they cut their smallest herds. Or maybe the oldest guys.

They have at least 3 larger farms. 1,000+ cows Two of which are basically right next to plant. I'd too like to see the demographics of farms cut. Hard to say what a "small" farm is. Always thought 300 was a lot, but have 5 of them in seeing distance from farm. So is even 500 "a lot"?

Which I know there's more to it than meets the eye, but man, why would they want hassle of running farms, when us Farmers beat our heads in producing it for a relatively cheap purchasing price.(that we receive)

All this being said, were happy with grassland. Get a long good with our field rep and hauler.
    Last edited by cihguy; 04-05-2017 at 07:12 PM.

How many producers does Grassland have? I wonder how they determined which producers got cut off.

Quote Originally Posted by whistle pig View Post
    Apparently they were exploiting some loophole in the Canadian law and exporting derivative products. The bigger question is will all these guys find a market for their milk? Talk about a cat on a hot tin roof.....
    A neighbour of mine and a fellow daryman wrote this article today. She explains things alot better then i can.

https://inuddernews.com/

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks for passing that article along CanadianCowMan. Its disappointing any way you put it, but that article explains it well
    “There are three things a cow should be doing; She should stand to be milked, stand to eat and drink, and lay down. If she’s doing one of these things she’s making you money.”
    ~Dr.Gordie Jones DVM

I know it is a terribly unpopular idea among dairy producers in the US, but there is simply going to have to be some sort of quota system in place to control orderly growth or this will become standard procedure in the dairy industry.