Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Grassland

Grassland knew Canada was working on fixing this glitch at least a year ago. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are lawsuits over grasslands conduct in that time.

I have to agree

Stupid question but do patrons have any rights? It's been awhile since we switched plants but I'm not sure what we signed when we started with them. Is there typically a 30 day notice type of thing for either side, like when you're renting an apartment?

With just one week remaining, approx 40 Grassland producers are without a home for their milk, according to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.

Quote Originally Posted by cousinit View Post
    With just one week remaining, approx 40 Grassland producers are without a home for their milk, according to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.
    One of my old high school friends farm got picked up by DFA. The only reason they were able to get in though was they are close to the interstate and the truck going by had enough room for them. They have about 150 cows.

Sent from my SM-G360R6 using Tapatalk

A large producer near me was also picked up by DFA. I heard he is only being paid base price with no premiums, about a 20 k hit a month for him. DFA has been selling excess milk at big discounts so it will be interesting to see how this works.

“There are three things a cow should be doing; She should stand to be milked, stand to eat and drink, and lay down. If she’s doing one of these things she’s making you money.”
    ~Dr.Gordie Jones DVM

Quote Originally Posted by wisjag View Post
    One of my old high school friends farm got picked up by DFA. The only reason they were able to get in though was they are close to the interstate and the truck going by had enough room for them. They have about 150 cows.

Sent from my SM-G360R6 using Tapatalk
    I'm thinking we know the same farm...

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
    DiederichFarm
    "You are only as good as your next success, not your last" Sir Jock Stirrup

Let the games begin. Trump seeks to impose tariffs on Canadian lumber, says the dairy deal made him do it.

Hopefully, no one supports that.

On a side note but related; does anyone think these dairy farmers have a legal cause for a civil class action? If so, do you think they will do it?
    Last edited by Baazevedo1; 04-25-2017 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Added second part

Quote Originally Posted by Baazevedo1 View Post
    Hopefully, no one supports that.

On a side note but related; does anyone think these dairy farmers have a legal cause for a civil class action? If so, do you think they will do it?
    Can't a plant drop you like a hot potato whenever they want, with a little notice? Just like the producer could drop them?

Can't a plant drop you like a hot potato whenever they want, with a little notice? Just like the producer could drop them?
    Right but I don't know if this qualifies as an exception being the scope of it and the time that grassland was aware this could happen? Only giving a 30 day notice and bringing severe financial hardship to 75 families isn't a small deal...

Right but I don't know if this qualifies as an exception being the scope of it and the time that grassland was aware this could happen? Only giving a 30 day notice and bringing severe financial hardship to 75 families isn't a small deal...
    Suppose it depends on your contract. But I'm not sure they even have to give a reason. What if your plant goes out of business? Thirty days seems about right, legally. I'm sure Grassland is lawyered up.

Suppose it depends on your contract. But I'm not sure they even have to give a reason. What if your plant goes out of business? Thirty days seems about right, legally. I'm sure Grassland is lawyered up.
    Negligence would be the thing here. If it's found they practiced negligence, they could be in heaps of trouble. But I'm not an attorney

Heres another article about it that i found interesting.. Seems that different warmers in Wisconsin area saying its not a national problem (Canada vs USA) its more of a WISCONSIN problem... http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada...BAa0cm?ocid=sf
    Still very unfortunate any way you slice it
    “There are three things a cow should be doing; She should stand to be milked, stand to eat and drink, and lay down. If she’s doing one of these things she’s making you money.”
    ~Dr.Gordie Jones DVM

I don't believe there is any legal remedy here unless milk was forward contracted (and Grassland took the forward contract farms back).

The contract we sign with Grassland is pretty straight forward. We can drop each other like a bad habit so long as 30 days notice is given. (if I remember correctly, it's been over a year since I signed it!).

This isn't a cooperative so it can be pretty cutthroat.

Not saying it's illegal what they did. I think it was all technically legal. However I think there may be a case for negligence, is what I'm saying

If it was all technically legal, there wouldn't be a basis for a lawsuit, no?

Quote Originally Posted by ElJefe View Post
    If it was all technically legal, there wouldn't be a basis for a lawsuit, no?
    Not necessarily. If it's found they practiced negligence, that contract becomes as good as toilet paper. Just because it's legal, doesn't mean there wasn't wrong doing or that it's unethical. That's why there are negligence charges.

Negligence is pretty serious and I don't think that applies here. You can sue anyone for anything.....if grassland was procuring milk during the past year knowing full well they will likely loose a significant market, I would think you have more than enough for a lawsuit.