Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Grassland

I count Mexico in Central America, North America is us and Canada.

I have no idea of percent lactose intolerance, but there is a food culture utilizing milk custard (flan), fresh/high lactose cheese (queso fresco), aged/low lactose cheese (the Jacks), dairy heavy cakes, etc. I have never noticed Hispanic co-workers having an issue with dairy products, and some grew up on small family dairy farms before moving north. Also, Mexico is the largest importer of US dairy products at 25% of all exports http://www.usdec.org/research-and-data/top-charts , so I am thinking many probably eat dairy products there.

I'm thinking most of what Mexico imports in the way of dairy products is to feed Mexico's number one industry which is tourism.

And Mexico is in North America.

Not sure how the imported products are utilized in Mexico. There is a huge underground market in the Mexican/Latino community for unpasteurized queso fresco and another type of cheese that I can not remember. A lot of the guys I have worked with grew up on farms milking a few cows in Mexico. Anyone ever had it? It is pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Baazevedo1 View Post
    Those countries have no money because of poorly managed/corrupt governments. Policy gets in the way. I wasn't just referring to our policy. I know it's a complex can of worms, just pointing out it is part of the problem. We can't move our food, and they're starving.

Go figure
    Indonesia is an often talked about market . Rapidly developing, 200 Million + population. Corruption is rife but also a developing democracy. It's right on our doorstep and you would think a fantastic opportunity for dairy ? Not really , our politicians seem to keep offending them . We were exporting over 200,000 live cattle there until the animal rights people threw a spanner in the works and now they get a lot of their beef from Brazil ..

I remember reading about UHT milk being decanted and on sold as fresh milk for a premium.
    "Those people who say they have no time for bodily exercise will soon have to find time for illness ". Joseph Pilates

Quote Originally Posted by BoerMaak'nPlan View Post
    Not sure how the imported products are utilized in Mexico. There is a huge underground market in the Mexican/Latino community for unpasteurized queso fresco and another type of cheese that I can not remember. A lot of the guys I have worked with grew up on farms milking a few cows in Mexico. Anyone ever had it? It is pretty good.
    Don't know about that . Don't really know much about Mexico but I imagine Mexicans wearing giant sombreros like in that old spaghetti western "The good the bad and the ugly"

Wish I was able to take a couple of months off and cruise up your west coast like Freddo did !
    Sounds very romantic!
    "Those people who say they have no time for bodily exercise will soon have to find time for illness ". Joseph Pilates

Quote Originally Posted by Lead Cow View Post
    Indonesia is an often talked about market . Rapidly developing, 200 Million + population. Corruption is rife but also a developing democracy. It's right on our doorstep and you would think a fantastic opportunity for dairy ? Not really , our politicians seem to keep offending them . We were exporting over 200,000 live cattle there until the animal rights people threw a spanner in the works and now they get a lot of their beef from Brazil ..

I remember reading about UHT milk being decanted and on sold as fresh milk for a premium.
    Exactly. This is what I mean.

Saw this on craigslist last night, https://rmn.craigslist.org/grd/6083262066.html

Talked to a field man from a private processor, He was trying to pick up a couple of these grassland farms that were cut but was cut off at the knees at the last minute from the powers above. Equipment salesman also said he has had several deals fall through this week from nervous dairymen.

it is going to be interesting.....

Quote Originally Posted by whistle pig View Post
    Saw this on craigslist last night, https://rmn.craigslist.org/grd/6083262066.html

Talked to a field man from a private processor, He was trying to pick up a couple of these grassland farms that were cut but was cut off at the knees at the last minute from the powers above. Equipment salesman also said he has had several deals fall through this week from nervous dairymen.

it is going to be interesting.....
    Whistle pig, who is going to pick up milk from 15-20 cows, seriously. I'm surprised they were able to hang on this long.

Well yea, I don't think they have to worry about the next generation either but ......

While I cant imagine bothering with 15-20 cows I'm sure there are guys that feel the same about my 140.

Quote Originally Posted by cousinit View Post
    Whistle pig, who is going to pick up milk from 15-20 cows, seriously. I'm surprised they were able to hang on this long.
    There's a number of Amish in my area milking that many cows or less, Used to be two of them on the milk truck before us, one the Dad retired and the son went into goats, the other one the plant dropped him due to the small amount of milk, Was also some underlying quality issues. I don't think between the two they'd put a 1000 pounds total of milk on the truck every other day. I'm not sure how that milk check got you very far especially on grade B...

Local sales barn is having a special dairy sale on Tuesday, 55 cows coming in due to health issues with two more herds pending, I'm wondering if any of these are grassland herds as they do pull herds out of eastern Mn and Wisconsin. they already sold 4 herds on their first Friday dairy sale this month.

Wheels

Just because you want to milk cows for a living doesn't mean the marketplace owes you the chance to do it.

It is normal to reduce the number of cow herds in the US annually by what, 5%?.
    Last edited by cousinit; 04-13-2017 at 05:28 AM.

Just because you want to milk cows for a living doesn't mean the marketplace owes you the chance to do it.

It is normal to reduce the number of cow herds in the US annually by what, 5%?.
    This is not directed at anyone in particular.

Just because you want to own a farm, the industry, government, or society don't owe you employees.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed from ny View Post

Just because you want to own a farm, the industry, government, or society don't owe you employees.
    Are you of the opinion that no one should have employees?

Quote Originally Posted by Baazevedo1 View Post
    Are you of the opinion that no one should have employees?
    No, not even close to what I said

Should Jim mulhern be in front of congress saying that 7000 dairies may fail without foreign labor while ignoring the 40000 dairies being driven out by those 7000?

Should Jim mulhern be in front of congress saying that 7000 dairies may fail without foreign labor while ignoring the 40000 dairies being driven out by those 7000?
    Good point

Didn't say that was what you said, just asking a clarification question.

What's wrong with labor? If someone is willing to work, let them work. We live in a (mostly) capitalist economic society. There is no quota system like Canada to control everything. I personally wouldn't want one. Everyone has an opportunity to operate how they see fit within our economic system. There are no rules against being big or small. If you choose to be small then that's your business. If you choose to be big, that's your business. It's the system we have. Mostly open market.

Husband heard today that Brancel & Walker are cooking up some scheme to get each processor in Wisconsin to take on a half dozen of those Grassland producers. He also said Grassland knew about this in November already.

Letting farms hire people who are willing to work doesn't mean anyone owed them employees.
    It's simply allowing the free exchange of labor.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
    -Andrew Kern, Kerncrest LLC
    https://www.facebook.com/Kerncrest

Quote Originally Posted by akern47 View Post
    Letting farms hire people who are willing to work doesn't mean anyone owed them employees.
    It's simply allowing the free exchange of labor.

Andrew where you been? Did you just recover from the election?

Andrew where you been? Did you just recover from the election?
    Been busy I guess.
    Haha election was great. It was more fun to watch leftists than it was a drag knowing HE was going to be president.

-Andrew Kern, Kerncrest LLC
    https://www.facebook.com/Kerncrest