Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Grassland

I don't think I could get behind a government quota system (despite being a pinko commie liberal), but if coops and individual processors want to institute their own, have at it.

Quote Originally Posted by ElJefe View Post
    I don't think I could get behind a government quota system (despite being a pinko commie liberal), but if coops and individual processors want to institute their own, have at it.
    I thought pinko commie liberals were all for big government.

Quote Originally Posted by cousinit View Post
    I thought pinko commie liberals were all for big government.
    Wouldn't be the first time you thought wrong about the pinko commie liberals!

Our government has peoven time and time again it's ability to screw up a wet dream.

My coop has a quota system that they are currently enforcing, we can still produce as much milk as we want, anything over quota has a $20 deduction...doesn't have to complicated or have gubment involvement.

Wouldn't be the first time you thought wrong about the pinko commie liberals!
    You need big govt to manage the taking from the rich & giving to those who don't wanna work.

Quote Originally Posted by cousinit View Post
    You need big govt to manage the taking from the rich & giving to those who don't wanna work.
    Now that's a hot take right there. Keep 'em coming.

Quote Originally Posted by whistle pig View Post
    Our government has peoven time and time again it's ability to screw up a wet dream.

My coop has a quota system that they are currently enforcing, we can still produce as much milk as we want, anything over quota has a $20 deduction...doesn't have to complicated or have gubment involvement.
    And that's the way it should be.

Question for coop members. As somebody who sells to an independent processor, I know before any expansion that we have to make darn sure that our current processor can take the extra milk before we go ahead and actually do it. Can Coop members expand without any worry if the Coop doesn't have a system in place?

Now that's a hot take right there. Keep 'em coming.
    Ah I don't have time right now, need to look for employee time cards so he can try & get his baby on Medicaid.

Humm, how can you get on Medicaid when you make almost $50k?
    Last edited by cousinit; 04-07-2017 at 12:54 PM.

Fieldman stopped in this afternoon, dropping off detergent. He said he's been fielding many phone calls from Grassland producers. Agropur is not accepting new milk.

Interesting article. Since the US has such a surplus of milk how would you go about getting down where it should be. To me even if farms sell cows to down size or even stop farming the cows just get bought up by others and the amount of milk stays the same.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

We need to create access to additional export markets. My opinion is there are many countries with a shortage of food and milk in particular. Policy makers needs to work with foreign governments to create an environment where the people there have access to affordable dairy products that offer a high plane of nutrition at an affordable cost.

Tasmania, Australia where the grass is always green

Shhhh! Notice that the exporters on this forum are keeping quiet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Baazevedo1 View Post
    We need to create access to additional export markets. My opinion is there are many countries with a shortage of food and milk in particular. Policy makers needs to work with foreign governments to create an environment where the people there have access to affordable dairy products that offer a high plane of nutrition at an affordable cost.
    I was gonna say it's a little early to be drinking but I guess it's getting there.

And that's the way it should be.

Question for coop members. As somebody who sells to an independent processor, I know before any expansion that we have to make darn sure that our current processor can take the extra milk before we go ahead and actually do it. Can Coop members expand without any worry if the Coop doesn't have a system in place?
    Before our co-op had a quota system in place expansion ran wild to the point we could hardly handle the milk during holidays and spring flush. We've had a quota system in place for around ten years now. It wasn't too popular at first but I guess it worked. The co-op only charged anybody over their quota when they had extra charges to move milk around. I think our co-op would love to have some of that Wisconsin milk right now. We are very short of milk.

I understand this is already happening ? We are told at factory meetings that product coming out of the US is competing with our own product throughout south east Asia . Infant formula, UHT milk and the like .
    "Those people who say they have no time for bodily exercise will soon have to find time for illness ". Joseph Pilates

Quote Originally Posted by Lead Cow View Post
    I understand this is already happening ? We are told at factory meetings that product coming out of the US is competing with our own product throughout south east Asia . Infant formula, UHT milk and the like .
    Yes it we have been increasing our exports every year, if I'm not mistaken. I think there's many untapped markets. We have a free market to produce here but we are limited in market export access. I think this is part of the problem. I understand some people want to cut supply, which is obviously effective. However, I think there is a lack of emphasis on expanding export access.

In this particular case, it was an export market that closed for the processor. They knew it was coming, however, and failed to find an alternative export market in time. The dairyman suffers unfortunately. Had they had access to additional export markets, perhaps they wouldn't have had to cut dairymen. I don't know if they can powder milk or have any other products that easily ship long distances. Policy and the processor let these dairymen down.

Yes it we have been increasing our exports every year, if I'm not mistaken. I think there's many untapped markets. We have a free market to produce here but we are limited in market export access. I think this is part of the problem. I understand some people want to cut supply, which is obviously effective. However, I think there is a lack of emphasis on expanding export access.

In this particular case, it was an export market that closed for the processor. They knew it was coming, however, and failed to find an alternative export market in time. The dairyman suffers unfortunately. Had they had access to additional export markets, perhaps they wouldn't have had to cut dairymen. I don't know if they can powder milk or have any other products that easily ship long distances. Policy and the processor let these dairymen down.
    The problem is the world is generally over supplied . Russia having pulled out of the market Etc hasn't helped. Also , it seems to take much longer than most people appreciate to build brands and develop markets . Like , decades ...
    "Those people who say they have no time for bodily exercise will soon have to find time for illness ". Joseph Pilates

Quote Originally Posted by Lead Cow View Post
    The problem is the world is generally over supplied . Russia having pulled out of the market Etc hasn't helped. Also , it seems to take much longer than most people appreciate to build brands and develop markets . Like , decades ...
    This is true. The world is over supplied because policy gets in the way. There are many areas of the world where people struggle with hunger (Venezuela right now). Milk is the single most nutrient dense, easily transported (powdered milk), easily reconstituted, no cooking required affordable product to combat hunger. Yet governments create an environment where their citizens either don't have access to milk or can't afford milk. I see lots of people around the world struggling with this. We don't have too much milk. We simply aren't getting it to the people that need it.

Most people in South America & Africa are lactose intolerant.

This is true. The world is over supplied because policy gets in the way. There are many areas of the world where people struggle with hunger (Venezuela right now). Milk is the single most nutrient dense, easily transported (powdered milk), easily reconstituted, no cooking required affordable product to combat hunger. Yet governments create an environment where their citizens either don't have access to milk or can't afford milk. I see lots of people around the world struggling with this. We don't have too much milk. We simply aren't getting it to the people that need it.
    Fair enough,

A couple of weeks back I listened to a CEO of a multinational talk about what it's taken to develop brands and market access abroad . These things take a lot of time .