Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheese

Default Cheese

What is your favorite type?

I am partial to a big chunk of (Grande) Parmesan, Colby-Jack (Dupont if I can find it) and a cheddar that my sister-in-law makes. What are your favorites and how much do you eat? I eat about my body weight in cheese every year; much of it on sandwiches that I take to work.

We eat a lot of cheese. Always 2 or 3 kinds in the fridge along with grated Kraft Parmesan. Also always have string cheese to grab for a snack.

We buy Agropur Sharp Cheddar Master Reserve & baby Swiss made in Monroe, Wisconsin.

I eat copious amounts of cheese. I'm a fan of juusto, very sharp cheddar, provolone is one of my favorites. Asiago is darn good to snack on too

I can't prove it but likely no one on this forum eats more cheese than me. I doubt many people any where eat more cheese than me.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
    DiederichFarm
    "You are only as good as your next success, not your last" Sir Jock Stirrup

My preference is anything aged or sharp, but I will try anything. Gouda is one of my favorites but right now I'm stuck on Cabot extra sharp, my cheese making skills are not yet good enough to produce my own. My consumption is a 2 lb block per week minimum, plus whatever other cheese I am trying. Ever been to one of those cheese importer stores with a walk in cooler room filled with hundreds of different kinds of cheese from everywhere? Heaven on earth.

As a side note "Processed American Cheese" is an abomination and a gross misrepresentation of the words cheese and American

Cedar Grove Cheddar
    Carr Valley when I want some fancy cheese.

Just got the supplies so I can start making my own mozzarella again. Might branch off and try making some of my own cheddar.

Monterrey Jack for my Latin cuisine.

Muenster for cold cut sandwiches. BBQ place in my town has some awesome Muenster cheese curds.

Homemade pizza I use a combination of mozzarella and provolone. I always loved Grande cheese for making pizza.

I don't eat a real lot but I like the Bega vintage 15 pack of ready sliced cheese to put on a sandwich or make cheese on toast . Also we sometimes have Cracker Barrel which is a carefully aged cheese to have .

I think my wife buys packets of shredded Parmesan for cooking.

Never saw any cheese from Wisconsin lol ..
    "Those people who say they have no time for bodily exercise will soon have to find time for illness ". Joseph Pilates

What I miss is the "young" Gouda that my host family ate all of the time in Holland. (Side note: a country that believes in cheese sandwiches for breakfast, lunch, and tea is an awesome place to stay...also the only place I was addicted to caffeine (in tea).) Unfortunately, Gouda should be made with raw milk, and that means it needs to be aged >2 months here, so the only way I am going to get to eat it again is to travel back or make my own.

Where do you find Muenster cheese curds? "Monster cheese" was always one of my favorites as a kid, and who doesn't love a child that's half orange.

You been to Holland? That is awesome. As well as being the birth place of gouda they have one of the highest consumptions of dairy and are the tallest people world wide. Reckon there is a correlation? When were you there? Did you get to stay on a dairy?

We usually have blocks of AMPI sharp cheddar, pepper jack, colby and mozzarella in the fridge. We tend to have mozzarella sticks most of the time. Sliced cheddar (Sargento I think?) either mild or sharp is preferred for our burgers and sandwiches here. I've recently got into sliced provolone and really like it. AMPI block parmesan is really good as well.

Mom will make a Portuguese fresh cheese often (similar to the queso fresco they make south of the border).

We also like getting a cheese from where my parents grew up. Queijo São Jorge (São Jorge Cheese). From the Azores island of São Jorge, it's a world famous cheese that can only be made on that island. Many people have tried replicating it on other islands and in the U.S. but the cheese doesn't taste the same. It's hard to get here in the states. Usually we get some from a relative that goes to Azores and brings some back for us. The most similar cheese I've tasted to it is Gouda. Although São Jorge Cheese is much sharper and has a lot stronger flavor. It's delicious

Quote Originally Posted by BoerMaak'nPlan View Post
    You been to Holland? That is awesome. As well as being the birth place of gouda they have one of the highest consumptions of dairy and are the tallest people world wide. Reckon there is a correlation? When were you there? Did you get to stay on a dairy?
    Tallest people world wide ? That's a big call ?

So is their height due to consuming lots of cheese ? Most Dutch folk I've known drink a lot of coffee and play a lot of cards .
    "Those people who say they have no time for bodily exercise will soon have to find time for illness ". Joseph Pilates

I am a curd fan. I like Colby when it's so fresh it's like a big block of curd.
    Swiss is good.
    The wife loves a good aged cheddar but I can't stand it in any form by itself.
    I have cottage cheese every morning for breakfast does that count?

Cottage cheese counts, we always have some on hand. There are variations of quality & I cannot stand a poorly made cottage cheese & it has to be at least 2% bf but preferably 4, & large curd.

My grandpa was 100% Dutch & was tall & honery. He did drink alot of coffee (black) & did play alot of cards. And ate a lot of cheese. And donuts. Lived to 99 years of age, died almost 40 years ago.

I am not fond of aged cheeses. Mozzarella, Farmer's and Muenster all vie for top place.

Quote Originally Posted by cousinit View Post
    My grandpa was 100% Dutch
    This explains a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by ElJefe View Post
    This explains a lot!
    No Dutch on the other 3 sides. So I'm only 25%.

Quote Originally Posted by cousinit View Post
    No Dutch on the other 3 sides. So I'm only 25%.
    Genes aren't necessarily passed on equally!

Well so be it. He lived to 99 when many around him succumbed to cancer & heart disease. So I'll take those genes thank you very much ��

Quote Originally Posted by Lead Cow View Post
    Tallest people world wide ? That's a big call ?

So is their height due to consuming lots of cheese ? Most Dutch folk I've known drink a lot of coffee and play a lot of cards .
    Saw a study done on it, think it was a British university ? I was in Amsterdam for awhile and didn't think people looked much taller, but I am not that short and other things were far more interesting that people's height. One thing I did notice was that the Dutch seemed very fit and active, push bikes everywhere.

This might sound weird, But my favorite is a sharp cheddar with my mothers homemade strawberry jelly spread on it. It makes a nice contrast between the sharp and the sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    This might sound weird, But my favorite is a sharp cheddar with my mothers homemade strawberry jelly spread on it. It makes a nice contrast between the sharp and the sweet.
    Husband puts jelly on his cheese, too. And he puts jelly on summer sausage. Totally grosses me out.