Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cheese

My grandfather always ate his his grilled cheese with jam spread on top. Thought it was nasty until I tried it and now that's the only way I eat them. I like provolone with most stuff but if there is sliced meat I'll eat any kind gladly 😁

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cows250 View Post
    What I miss is the "young" Gouda that my host family ate all of the time in Holland. (Side note: a country that believes in cheese sandwiches for breakfast, lunch, and tea is an awesome place to stay...also the only place I was addicted to caffeine (in tea).) Unfortunately, Gouda should be made with raw milk, and that means it needs to be aged >2 months here, so the only way I am going to get to eat it again is to travel back or make my own.
    Try Wakker Cheese from Kewaunee. Excellent Gouda from raw milk.

We just had a Mennonite come by with a mobile cheese making setup that made 225 lbs of cheese from our milk. It has to be aged for a couple months since it was all raw milk so it's tough to resist every time I open the fridge lol

I like a good Gouda and an old cheddar. My wife likes goat cheese...I think it tastes like a goat smells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    We just had a Mennonite come by with a mobile cheese making setup that made 225 lbs of cheese from our milk. It has to be aged for a couple months since it was all raw milk so it's tough to resist every time I open the fridge lol

I like a good Gouda and an old cheddar. My wife likes goat cheese...I think it tastes like a goat smells.

Agree with you on the goat cheese.

We just had a Mennonite come by with a mobile cheese making setup that made 225 lbs of cheese from our milk...
    You have me curious--

Did you sell your milk to this traveling cheese-maker, they gave you a few samples, and they kept the rest for future sales? Or did they process your milk on contract, and you kept the entire batch of cheese?

I've never heard of traveling cheese-makers, so I was wondering what business model was being used.

We made a lot of goat cheese when we milked goats. We used a recipe that made a harder cheese just like the stuff cows milk makes. It was very good and not goaty at all.

Quote Originally Posted by kipps View Post
    You have me curious--

Did you sell your milk to this traveling cheese-maker, they gave you a few samples, and they kept the rest for future sales? Or did they process your milk on contract, and you kept the entire batch of cheese?

I've never heard of traveling cheese-makers, so I was wondering what business model was being used.
    We basically paid them to make cheese for us out of our milk. Came with a trailer set up with some tanks and all their equipment, backed up to the barn and pumped the milk right from the tank to the trailer. Ended up being a little pricey in my opinion, but hey, now I've got four fridges stocked up with two years worth of cheddar lol. I think they've got a handful of setups traveling around. Took about 6 hours to make 225 lbs of cheese.

We basically paid them to make cheese for us out of our milk. Came with a trailer set up with some tanks and all their equipment, backed up to the barn and pumped the milk right from the tank to the trailer. Ended up being a little pricey in my opinion, but hey, now I've got four fridges stocked up with two years worth of cheddar lol. I think they've got a handful of setups traveling around. Took about 6 hours to make 225 lbs of cheese.
    I assume this is all non-certified, and you cannot legally sell the cheese. Correct? Could you have requested different varieties of cheese?

Quote Originally Posted by kipps View Post
    I assume this is all non-certified, and you cannot legally sell the cheese. Correct? Could you have requested different varieties of cheese?
    Can't sell the cheese. Might be some sort of certification for their mobile setup since they still are making a food product. They would just do cheddar but they would make some with different spices. They were looking into making gouda since they go to a lot of Dutch people. I imagine they just do cheddar because it's the simplest maybe? Not sure what goes into making other types of cheese.

Can't sell the cheese. Might be some sort of certification for their mobile setup since they still are making a food product. They would just do cheddar but they would make some with different spices. They were looking into making gouda since they go to a lot of Dutch people. I imagine they just do cheddar because it's the simplest maybe? Not sure what goes into making other types of cheese.

What was your motivation to do this?

Quote Originally Posted by cousinit View Post
    What was your motivation to do this?
    We're a bit over quota on our milk right now so it put 1000 litres to good use. Also we just thought we'd try something new! The neighbours did it a while ago and said it was well worth it.

We're a bit over quota on our milk right now so it put 1000 litres to good use. Also we just thought we'd try something new! The neighbours did it a while ago and said it was well worth it.

Fair enough. While we in the US continue to produce more & more & expect the marketplace to find a home for it all.

When you own this...than you know you have a love of cheese taken to the next level

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
    DiederichFarm
    "You are only as good as your next success, not your last" Sir Jock Stirrup

Here is some current BS on cheese.http://www.npr.org/sections/13.7/201...st-dairy-crack

I couldn't even finish reading the article, I was drowning in so much BS that I couldn't even breathe anymore. Fortunately, I got out alive