Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Going off BST

Quote Originally Posted by ElJefe View Post
    Grassland had us stop by January 1st. We are already 3x.

Definitely don't go off cold turkey. You'll give back any gains you had by staying on right until the end. I stopped enrolling new cows last summer.

We've moved our voluntary waiting period up to 50 days from 60 days. Before, we always gave the cows from 60-100 days to show a heat on their own. Now we will give the cows one cycle from ~50-70 days before we will PGF them. No heat off the PGF and we put them in a CIDR sync protocol. I'm a crossbred herd, persistence is not necessarily one of their advantages so getting them pregnant ASAP is important. So far, very few cows are making it to the CIDR sync protocol.

I'm more willing to cull pregnant cows that drop off too much late lactation. We have plenty of replacements.

Overall, I won't say we've maintained production but I think over time with some of the adjustments we made I think we can get back to where we were. Just need to reduce those >350 days in milk cows that will tend to fall off a cliff.
    What breeds do you use in your program?

Your thought on breeding is close to what I am leaning towards. Lower my voluntary waiting period. We use ovsynch and get great results. Problem like you say is those long days in milk cows. We have cows milking over 350 days and producing over 100 pounds/day. Are these cows just good milk gentics or are they being held up by bst?

Sent from my SM-G360R6 using Tapatalk

Are these cows just good milk gentics or are they being held up by bst?

Sent from my SM-G360R6 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
    Both.

Be careful with cross-breeding. El Jefe has luck but we only have 2 HoJo's & one calved in Dec with her 3rd calf, bred one month & milks 40 pounds of 3.1 Bf milk. Looks like an angus. She's out of a 30,000# Holstein.

Quote Originally Posted by cousinit View Post
    Are these cows just good milk gentics or are they being held up by bst?

Both.

Be careful with cross-breeding. El Jefe has luck but we only have 2 HoJo's & one calved in Dec with her 3rd calf, bred one month & milks 40 pounds of 3.1 Bf milk. Looks like an angus. She's out of a 30,000# Holstein.[/QUOTE]
    There's got to be more to the story. My cows don't even fall off that bad and I'm a low grain fed herd feeding most grass, grass balage, and grass hay

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by yongfarmer89 View Post
    Both.

Be careful with cross-breeding. El Jefe has luck but we only have 2 HoJo's & one calved in Dec with her 3rd calf, bred one month & milks 40 pounds of 3.1 Bf milk. Looks like an angus. She's out of a 30,000# Holstein.
    There's got to be more to the story. My cows don't even fall off that bad and I'm a low grain fed herd feeding most grass, grass balage, and grass hay

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
    Oh she's healthy, come take a look. Never sick a day in her life. And this is on BST. She's short & probably goes 1,800. Thinking we'll be down to one hojo soon.

Genes are a funny thing.

Quote Originally Posted by wisjag View Post
    What breeds do you use in your program?

Your thought on breeding is close to what I am leaning towards. Lower my voluntary waiting period. We use ovsynch and get great results. Problem like you say is those long days in milk cows. We have cows milking over 350 days and producing over 100 pounds/day. Are these cows just good milk gentics or are they being held up by bst?

Holstein, Scandinavian Red, and Fleckvieh/Montbeliarde (a little Normande and Brown Swiss sprinkled in too) is my current rotation. We also have a lot of Jersey blood in the herd but no longer use much, if any Jersey.

I'd say it's a combination. I'm actually quite happy with the persistence on the Fleckvieh/Montbeliarde sired animals. You'd think a beefy animal would put on more condition and stop milking but they hold up pretty well. Of course not too many of them make it out very far past 300 days because they get pregnant so fast. Heck, some of them are showing heats at 10 days in milk already.

Jerseys are probably my worst for persistence. BST definitely keeps them going but I've had plenty that even BST couldn't keep going.

Holsteins have the market cornered on high averages. I get some Swiss that just refuse to milk, I always think I'll give her another lactation but it's usually the same story. You would think crossing Swiss or jersey with Holstein would help this issue, but it doesn't seem to. My experience with has been similar to eljeffe's in that breeding a stein to more of a "beefy" breed gets you a better animal than crossing dairy breeds often enough.

We finally got our notice to be off by 1-1-18. A really long letter, I didn't read the whole thing, something about how they were frustrated and how they tried really hard to fight it through the years.

Do any plants allow it any more? I wonder what our Elanco sales rep is going to do. Is anyone sticking with Imrestor? We're going off that, too. We bought enough to get our rebate. We see no value in keeping on it.

Do any plants allow it any more?
    Correct or not, I've gotten the impression that BST was a mid-western thing. Most milk sold here carries a bst-free label, and I think the majority of co-ops on the east coast haven't allowed bst for years.

I think all milk carries a BST label but what about cheese, ice cream, butter, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by kipps View Post
    Correct or not, I've gotten the impression that BST was a mid-western thing. Most milk sold here carries a bst-free label, and I think the majority of co-ops on the east coast haven't allowed bst for years.
    California there is (or was) a lot of bst use. We have always shipped to plants that allowed bst use. They just wanted to know of we were using it or not and wanted us to sign an affidavit if we didn't. We can also use it here at the plant we ship to. However we've never used bst.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think all milk carries a BST label but what about cheese, ice cream, butter, etc?
    IMO up until lately the "consumer" didn't put 2 and 2 together and figure out that cheese, butter, and ice cream were made out of milk, let alone that it could possibly have bST in it. Grande sells premium italian cheese up and down the East coast to higher end pizzerias, but the last I had talked to Lynn (the field rep) no one had asked about sourcing bST free cheese. The switch was made because of Grassland's switch. Now that things at Grassland have changed, I would guess that they will no longer be selling loads of milk that way. Dunno if they will still move towards being bST free. I will ask the next time I order some cheese.

I got a letter yesterday from my Co-op saying they will be rbst free by January 1st 2018. They primarily make cheeses and other non fluid milk products

I started using posilac in early March of '94, "had" to quit about 5 years ago. Sexed semen has more than made up the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by nydairy View Post
    I started using posilac in early March of '94, "had" to quit about 5 years ago. Sexed semen has more than made up the difference.
    Sexed semen more than makes up the difference in pounds of milk produced nationally, but it costs more money to raise a heifer than it does to use BGH.

Quote Originally Posted by Baazevedo1 View Post
    I got a letter yesterday from my Co-op saying they will be rbst free by January 1st 2018. They primarily make cheeses and other non fluid milk products

I suspect I got the same letter, really liked how they had to add that management will continue to stand up for the use of scientifically proven safe products and production practices, fieldman hasn't got a cranky-mail from me.... yet..

Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    I suspect I got the same letter, really liked how they had to add that management will continue to stand up for the use of scientifically proven safe products and production practices, fieldman hasn't got a cranky-mail from me.... yet..

Wheels
    Haha yeah I thought that was a nice touch lol

Just ran a few numbers to see how my farm's production has been affected by going off BST.

Over the first four months of 2017, compared to 2016, we are down 3.1% in terms of lbs of fat, and 3.7% in terms of pounds of protein. Total volume without components is down 5.3%. So we have lost a bigger amount of volume but gained some components to make up for it. Of course there are other factors involved, but they shouldn't have a huge influence as feed is pretty similar for the most part.

Interestingly, April 2017 production beat April 2016 by a fair margin. Maybe I'm learning how to live without BST?

Quote Originally Posted by ElJefe View Post
    Just ran a few numbers to see how my farm's production has been affected by going off BST.

Over the first four months of 2017, compared to 2016, we are down 3.1% in terms of lbs of fat, and 3.7% in terms of pounds of protein. Total volume without components is down 5.3%. So we have lost a bigger amount of volume but gained some components to make up for it. Of course there are other factors involved, but they shouldn't have a huge influence as feed is pretty similar for the most part.

Interestingly, April 2017 production beat April 2016 by a fair margin. Maybe I'm learning how to live without BST?
    No, your type of cows maybe never benefitted from it because of your calving interval, for one.

If I could I'd still be using it, but with a new barn and superior cow comfort, I'm making more milk per cow than I did in the bst days.

Quote Originally Posted by nydairy View Post
    If I could I'd still be using it, but with a new barn and superior cow comfort, I'm making more milk per cow than I did in the bst days.
    You & everybody else. A race to the bottom!