Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Going off BST

Quote Originally Posted by cousinit View Post
    No, your type of cows maybe never benefitted from it because of your calving interval, for one.
    Ehh, I dunno. We've slipped in that regard over the last year Our calving interval was right around 400 days when we put in the AI24 system.

Quote Originally Posted by ElJefe View Post
    Ehh, I dunno. We've slipped in that regard over the last year Our calving interval was right around 400 days when we put in the AI24 system.
    You think 400 days means you're slipping?

You think 400 days means you're slipping?
    That is correct.

That is correct.
    I agree. We've been 13.5 months or less for a while. Usually at or under 13.... that's under 400.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
    DiederichFarm
    "You are only as good as your next success, not your last" Sir Jock Stirrup

I guess if you want to breed cows & heifers that milk well over 100# a day and dry them off at 80 pounds, so they can have a calf that's worth $50. Makes zero sense to me but I think that's why milk prices are what they are.

I guess if you want to breed cows & heifers that milk well over 100# a day and dry them off at 80 pounds, so they can have a calf that's worth $50. Makes zero sense to me but I think that's why milk prices are what they are.
    $50 per calf? I get triple that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$50 per calf? I get triple that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    And we get 5 or 6 times that. But my point is calves were worth more than that before you were born. We're overproducing.

Just ran a few numbers to see how my farm's production has been affected by going off BST.

Over the first four months of 2017, compared to 2016, we are down 3.1% in terms of lbs of fat, and 3.7% in terms of pounds of protein. Total volume without components is down 5.3%. So we have lost a bigger amount of volume but gained some components to make up for it. Of course there are other factors involved, but they shouldn't have a huge influence as feed is pretty similar for the most part.

Interestingly, April 2017 production beat April 2016 by a fair margin. Maybe I'm learning how to live without BST?
    What happened to your DM intakes after going off? With having crossbreds what has happened to the body condition in the past year? I think it is going take time get get the production back.

As for repro we are currently running a 12.7 month calving interval. We know our repro will help us maintain somewhat closer to our average production nunbers.

Sent from my SM-G360R6 using Tapatalk

And we get 5 or 6 times that. But my point is calves were worth more than that before you were born. We're overproducing.
    Dad And Mom sold a calf under my name shortly after I was born (feb 81), I seen the check stub a few years ago, Pretty sure in wasn't $50, probably more like 20 or 25. I think the money was used to buy me a snowsuit.

FBM instructor had some interesting Data comparing BST herds to non using herds when he stopped by a few weeks ago. Non-users made $50-60 dollars more per cow last year than herds using BST.

Wheels

The BTO was at 390 for a calving interval when I left...and they didn't stop breeding because of DIM or times bred. My big push was always how many cows got pregnant in the first 100 days after the VWP...almost hit 90% (94% with the DNBs excluded). The cow that gets pregnant 1st or 2nd service will probably make it to dry off again...the cow getting bred at 400 days, even with bST, had a good chance of ending up a fat low producing cull.

Just wondering, do you think that losing bST is going to shift even more breeding focus to higher repro bulls, even if it means sacrificing a few thousand pounds of milk?

One interesting thing I thought about is there really is no way to regulate rBST use. You cannot test for it in milk and so it's all honor system, really. How can it be enforced? It can't.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Baazevedo1 View Post
    One interesting thing I thought about is there really is no way to regulate rBST use. You cannot test for it in milk and so it's all honor system, really. How can it be enforced? It can't.

It depends how many processors ban its use. If it gets banned across most of the nation I see Elanco shutting down production, as most of the rest of the world already bans its use. However, if say 50% of process still allow it, it would be really easy to just buy it off a neighbor. Elanco does like to keep track of how many doses go to each farm, but I have never had them refuse to send more than cow numbers would justify at "label dose and interval". If they want to they could, however....then even a mega dairy would only have a few hundred doses to sell a neighbor every month, unless they cut back themselves and shortened intervals wouldn't work either.

Quote Originally Posted by cows250 View Post
    It depends how many processors ban its use. If it gets banned across most of the nation I see Elanco shutting down production, as most of the rest of the world already bans its use. However, if say 50% of process still allow it, it would be really easy to just buy it off a neighbor. Elanco does like to keep track of how many doses go to each farm, but I have never had them refuse to send more than cow numbers would justify at "label dose and interval". If they want to they could, however....then even a mega dairy would only have a few hundred doses to sell a neighbor every month, unless they cut back themselves and shortened intervals wouldn't work either.
    Right, that's what I see happening too. But as far as regulating the raw product (milk); From a logical, regulatory point of view, it simply doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Dad And Mom sold a calf under my name shortly after I was born (feb 81), I seen the check stub a few years ago, Pretty sure in wasn't $50, probably more like 20 or 25. I think the money was used to buy me a snowsuit.

Wheels
    Early 80's was a bad deal for all economic sectors, but by the mid 80's Holstein heifer calves were selling for $200 minimum.

The BTO was at 390 for a calving interval when I left...and they didn't stop breeding because of DIM or times bred. My big push was always how many cows got pregnant in the first 100 days after the VWP...almost hit 90% (94% with the DNBs excluded). The cow that gets pregnant 1st or 2nd service will probably make it to dry off again...the cow getting bred at 400 days, even with bST, had a good chance of ending up a fat low producing cull.
    We don't have that experience here. Are we the only ones that have persistent-milking cows?

There can't many processers left that accept bst milk. Does DFA take bst supplemented milk? I can't see it be profitable for Elanco to continue making the product in a continuing shirking basis.

Just wondering, do you think that losing bST is going to shift even more breeding focus to higher repro bulls, even if it means sacrificing a few thousand pounds of milk?
    Will the bulls selected for use be higher production or higher in fertlity? Starting to think there may be more of a focus on components to make up the difference in pay.

I am also thinking that there is going to be more new barns built to increase comfort and productivity. Dry cow and transition facilities will get more focus also.

Tasmania, Australia where the grass is always green

My thoughts exactly

I wouldn't want to take any chances getting caught though. In the current state of overproduction any reason for a processor to drop a patron.

Quote Originally Posted by wisjag View Post
    I wouldn't want to take any chances getting caught though. In the current state of overproduction any reason for a processor to drop a patron.

Correct. Just saying there's no way to regulate it like antibiotics, from a regulatory standpoint i.e. test milk for positive or negative traces. It will be beneficial overall because of a drop in milk production because we have a lot of milk. Just a shame that, from a science and technology point of view, the bst ban is unfounded.