Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Going off BST

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    FBM instructor had some data comparing Herds that use BST to non users, Go ahead and keep using it, the average user was making 50-60 bucks a cow less profit than the average ones who don't use it. What I found surprising was the small number of herds in the FBM program using it, not sure if it just isn't really that popular or some aren't admitting it.

Wheels
    What does FBM stand for?

The cow is supposed to make an additional 10# of milk per day when injected. At $18 milk that's $1.80 a day. Over the 14 day injection period that's $25. The injection costs around $6.50. The cow does eat a little more to make that 10#.

That's the math on it. If milk is $13 and your cows only milk an extra 7 pounds, it doesn't make sense to use it.

If your herd management is good to start with, you will make money on BGH. If it isnt, you won't. If you can't make at least an extra 7 pounds because there's a hole in your management somewhere, you won't profit.
    Last edited by cousinit; 05-28-2017 at 07:39 AM.

Farm business Management,

Basically there's a group of college instructors throughout the state that visit some farms and help with recording of the financial data, said data is compiled with the other farms in the state and put into a yearly report, Dairy numbers can be sorted out various ways for comparison, herd size, tie stall/freestall/robots, Conventional/organic, Sand bedding/mats and so forth

Here's the link to the BST Report, must be a lot of poor managers using it. https://finbin.umn.edu/FinB.dll/generate?RecId=399697

And yes, I'm one of those farmers that there's a hell of a lot of other things I can do to get a few more pounds of milk before I have to resort to a shot I can't use anymore anyways

Farm business Management,

Basically there's a group of college instructors throughout the state that visit some farms and help with recording of the financial data, said data is compiled with the other farms in the state and put into a yearly report, Dairy numbers can be sorted out various ways for comparison, herd size, tie stall/freestall/robots, Conventional/organic, Sand bedding/mats and so forth

Here's the link to the BST Report, must be a lot of poor managers using it. https://finbin.umn.edu/FinB.dll/generate?RecId=399697

And yes, I'm one of those farmers that there's a hell of a lot of other things I can do to get a few more pounds of milk before I have to resort to a shot I can't use anymore anyways
    Ok, I steered clear of state-funded & even private farm consultants fairly soon into the start of our going on our own. The first one told us to save money on calf huts by building our own wooden huts instead of investing in Calf-tel. Ya well they lasted about 2 years, hard to move, harder to clean, fell apart. 2nd one told us to work up our 75 acre corn field 21 days after a 6" cold pummeling rain, he said there were no live plants underground. Next day they started popping up & the field ended up producing 130 bu.

Anyhow, I'm having trouble interpreting your chart. It appears all these farms use BST. Some make money & some don't. What am I missing?

I didn't include the average for not using BST, also found a straight average page tonight which will be easier to read, that first one compared the top performers, average and bottom performers using BST,

Here's the summary for BST https://finbin.umn.edu/FinB.dll/generate?RecId=399709

Here's the Non BST, https://finbin.umn.edu/FinB.dll/generate?RecId=399707

A little summary for those of you not wanting to spend your memorial day looking at a bunch of numbers, I tried to pick a few that seem relevant

47 herds, BST herd average 26,923 on 346.2 cows, received $16.28 cwt for milk, spent $5.63 day per cow on feed and 144.15 on vet expenses, Net return of -35.68
    360 herds,Non BST average 23,737 on 175.3 cows, received $16.65 cwt for milk, spent $5.09 day per cow on feed and 103.70 on vet expenses, Net return of 181.51

I'm not sure why there's nearly a 40 cent difference in price, I'm guessing components? You can interpret away on the rest,

FBM does very little consulting and is mostly concerned on record keeping, data and the interpetation of it, Your bank/lender probably does similar stuff on you in terms of reports/analysis of your farm operation

And for those of you who are really bored this weekend, here's the main site to play around on and sort through the different farm types and so forth

https://finbin.umn.edu/LvSummOpts/LvSummIndex

And a rotational grazing summary for Youngfarmer to compare his numbers to https://finbin.umn.edu/FinB.dll/generate?RecId=399714

Thanks for the links Wheels, very interesting.

I didn't include the average for not using BST, also found a straight average page tonight which will be easier to read, that first one compared the top performers, average and bottom performers using BST,

Here's the summary for BST https://finbin.umn.edu/FinB.dll/generate?RecId=399709

Here's the Non BST, https://finbin.umn.edu/FinB.dll/generate?RecId=399707

A little summary for those of you not wanting to spend your memorial day looking at a bunch of numbers, I tried to pick a few that seem relevant

47 herds, BST herd average 26,923 on 346.2 cows, received $16.28 cwt for milk, spent $5.63 day per cow on feed and 144.15 on vet expenses, Net return of -35.68
    360 herds,Non BST average 23,737 on 175.3 cows, received $16.65 cwt for milk, spent $5.09 day per cow on feed and 103.70 on vet expenses, Net return of 181.51

I'm not sure why there's nearly a 40 cent difference in price, I'm guessing components? You can interpret away on the rest,

FBM does very little consulting and is mostly concerned on record keeping, data and the interpetation of it, Your bank/lender probably does similar stuff on you in terms of reports/analysis of your farm operation
    I printed these reports off and compared categories in order to analyze what the differences were. Generally, per cow:

BST herds: Milk up $420 (as you stated, don't know why the non BST milk was 37 cents higher)

Feed up $200 (seems excessive for just the 7-10# increase due to BST, that's 65 cents a day on 305 day, when milk is only $.16 a pound, they are spending half of their BST gains on feed expense). Obviously the higher the price of milk, the greater the profitability. 2016 was not a very good year for dairy no matter who you were. But in my earlier post I probably understated the increased feed expense.

Hired labor up $215 (maybe because these farms are larger & milk 3 x a day?)

Machinery & building depr up $45 (again, maybe bigger farms, more depreciable stuff)

Obviously BST works much better when milk price is higher. Even the nonBST herds had a negative net return over labor & mgt, in your example.

The grazing 1 has organic farms figured in. Kinda tough to compare

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk