Thread: Dairy or Ag related magazines or newspapers

Default Dairy or Ag related magazines or newspapers

Hello, I was just curious what do you folks read for dairy or agriculture related magazines/newspapers? I was considering subscription to Hoards Dairyman but undecided. I've also seen "The Country Today" newspaper and heard of Agri View newspaper as well. Thank you in advance

Agri view is a good paper to subscribe to. Covers quite an array of topics. Crops, cattle(beef and dairy), markets, etc. Hoards is the best for more technical data/information/research/studies for the dairy/feeding side of things. We get the country today, but I could do without it. Wisconsin state farmer is a good one too. Really good classified section in that one. I don't get it anymore, but dairy herd management was an excellent one. Obviously was heavy on the dairy topics.

Thank you for the response, I will look into those

I used to subscribe to Hoards, but have since let my subscription lapse. I think "Progressive Dairyman" is a better magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by cihguy View Post
    Agri view is a good paper to subscribe to. Covers quite an array of topics. Crops, cattle(beef and dairy), markets, etc. Hoards is the best for more technical data/information/research/studies for the dairy/feeding side of things. We get the country today, but I could do without it. Wisconsin state farmer is a good one too. Really good classified section in that one. I don't get it anymore, but dairy herd management was an excellent one. Obviously was heavy on the dairy topics.
    I agree, Dairy Herd Management and Hoards are good choices. Another good one is Progressive Dairyman.

Progressive dairyman is a good one. I also like dairy herd management and dairy today.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I tried a 12 month subscription to hoards but I've declined to renew. A lot of material seemed irrelevant to here . I also tried the NZ Dairy exporter magazine but discontinued that as well . Australian dairy farmer magazine is good but by the time we get it a lot of the news is dated as its been on the website . Of course this is the problem with paid subscription. Why pay for something when it's available for free on the net ?
    "Those people who say they have no time for bodily exercise will soon have to find time for illness ". Joseph Pilates

Hoards is fine if you don't have to pay for it, would struggle to justify it if had to pay. Progressive Dairyman is pretty good, also Progressive Forage. Hay and Forage is short but good. Dairy Star is interesting, even though I am not in that area. The Furrow is a surprisingly good magazine, lots of farm feature type stuff. Farmers Weekly U.K. As well as SA is always interesting. Graze is probably my favorite, if you do any grazing. Also stockman grass farmer always has at least something good each issue. High plains journal as well if you live in the central plains.

After hearing word of dms possibly dropping independent producers, I subscribed to 'The milkweed.'
    I skim through the rest of the publications because now and then there's an article that is actually useful.

I gave up on most of them as their mantra seems to be 'get big and take on huge debts,' along with the 'be more productive, be more efficient... let us show you how' mentality.

Most of the articles in progressive dairy are recycled with a new twist. 'Cow comfort is good, migrant labor is good, automation is best, don't be a bad manager... check out our sponsors lineup of stuff you don't need.. And stay tuned for next month's publication on this farmer with a 50mil facility that will never actually be owned by the guy that signed the loan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ford 401 View Post
    After hearing word of dms possibly dropping independent producers, I subscribed to 'The milkweed.'
    I skim through the rest of the publications because now and then there's an article that is actually useful.

I gave up on most of them as their mantra seems to be 'get big and take on huge debts,' along with the 'be more productive, be more efficient... let us show you how' mentality.

Most of the articles in progressive dairy are recycled with a new twist. 'Cow comfort is good, migrant labor is good, automation is best, don't be a bad manager... check out our sponsors lineup of stuff you don't need.. And stay tuned for next month's publication on this farmer with a 50mil facility that will never actually be owned by the guy that signed the loan.
    I spent my youth listening to these fools. Always struggled financially until I started thinking for myself. All these so called experts are really good at spending someone else's money and when it doesn't work they just shrug and move on to the next sucker.

Tasmania, Australia where the grass is always green

Similar to some comments above, I've grown tired with most magazines and tend to focus more time on publications such as the journal of dairy science.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an old thread, but I will offer my two cents. We love Lancaster Farming newspaper here! I don't know where you are located, but you can check it out Here ---> https://www.lancasterfarming.com/