Thread: Auctions

Default Auctions

We've been going to auctions to see what cows & stuff are going for. Can't believe how cheap cows are going for here. A couple of decent herds, all AI for many many years, no BST, 24,000# herd avg low SCC. Many cows going for a couple hundred over beef price. Calves $100. Short-bred heifers $800. Springers $1,250.

Less than what they went for 35 years ago.

Been watching the dairy sales at the salesbarns in the paper, herd of 50 comes in, 20 head listed in the results in the paper, down to $875-900, Springers still bringing 1500-1650 at the barns, Local radio station just had a couple of video clips on FB tonight from Albany's sale.

Went to a on-farm sale a few weeks back, Average herd of cows was topping close to 2k, 12-1500 would have gotten quite a few cows, I didnt' stay for the hiefers, although I thought they looked more desirable than the cows.

That's frustrating for you . Hope you can hold off a little bit longer and avoid selling at those prices .

Prices for good dairy animals have ticked up a bit with our recent opening prices . Springers advertised in today's paper around the 1600-1800 mark which would be realistic I guess .
    "Those people who say they have no time for bodily exercise will soon have to find time for illness ". Joseph Pilates

It is what it is, we're not going to milk one day longer than our feed supply dictates. Sexed semen really changed the dairy industry. Plus milk price shows no signs of improvement, & feed looks to be plentiful.

There weren't many buyers at these auctions, not like I remember when we starting out in the 80's.
    It's a good thing we stopped raising heifers when we did, and put that money towards debt.

Mingling around the crowds, guys said no one has any money.
    Last edited by cousinit; 06-16-2017 at 11:53 PM.

It is hard to point the finger at any one thing for current lower cattle prices. Sexed seman has had a factor but so has processors limiting intakes. The larger farms thar are left also have great management, for the most part. The good management has left them with the options to sell animals or grow internally and not need to purchase outside animals.

Milk price and profitability will always be a larger factor in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G360R6 using Tapatalk

My take on low replacement prices are two things: 1) sexed semen. And 2), custom heifer raiders.

Family farms that still exist have relied on their own replacements for years don't have the need to go out to the sale barn and buy any extras. They're able to get all they need from the heifer grower via private sell.