Thread: 3 titter

Default 3 titter

I just bought a 3 titter cow, knew it when I bought her, no problem there. I milked her for the first time tonight and it feels like the whole quarter is missing, no teat, not even a bag there. The missing teat is the rear right, the rear left seams to be almost in the middle, and the right front is definatly back further than the right front. Ever seen one born with 3 quarters? Can they lose a whole quarter like that? I have seen plenty of 3 titters, but usually there is a dried up little teat left on a saggy quarter. She is a 7 year old Dexter, sweet as can be, gave 3 gallons the first milking. She freshened 2 days ago and the folks that had her could not deal with her, so I bought her right. Thanks for any insight anyone may have.

I can't say I have ever seen a cow born with 3 teats. I guess its possible. Be careful buying an old cow like that. You might want to sample the milk for staph or myco.

I have seen that when heifers calve with a blind 1/4 due to flies.. every year that quarter just shrivels up a little more. I have a cow like that in the herd now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

It's better that way. One less bad quarter to give you grief down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by cousinit View Post
    It's better that way. One less bad quarter to give you grief down the road.
    Disagree. It just means you're missing the spare quarter. One more quarter goes bottoms-up, and she's pretty much done.

Quote Originally Posted by kipps View Post
    Disagree. It just means you're missing the spare quarter. One more quarter goes bottoms-up, and she's pretty much done.
    You misunderstood my comment. Obviously 4 quarters are preferred. But I would much rather one quarter just go quietly away & shrink up rather than flare up every time she freshens.

Perfect robot cow, you can milk 4 3teaters in the same time as 3 4teaters lol robot joke