Thread: Early calving

Default Early calving

Is there any medical reason i should be worried about from having my last 4 cows freshen 15 days early? All were without issue and the calves hit the ground running it's just making me nervous.

Ive got concrete breed dates for all of them no bulls around. Vaccinate twice a year with triangle 10, pinkeye, and rabies.

The heat...

Yup heat stress

Quote Originally Posted by BLOOMFIELD View Post
    Yup heat stress
    I know the barn temps are good. My pasture has good shade, a cool stream, and 3 fresh water tanks. Short of a loafing barn...any tips?

Fans....and lots of them.

Having said that, Im in the same boat. I have shaded pasture and curtain free stall but my cows do suffer in this heat. Im not so sure fans necessarily pay for themselves but they do probably stabilize cash flow a little more and in todays world that's the name of the game.

I've had heifers do that on a pretty regular basis the last few years, I'm thinking heat isn't an issue in October, November or December.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    I've had heifers do that on a pretty regular basis the last few years, I'm thinking heat isn't an issue in October, November or December.
    Our heifers do tend to calve early year-around, too. At least a week or ten days. But not the cows.