Thread: Wagyu

Default Wagyu

I've got five calves sired by Wagyu on the ground now. Anybody ever raised Wagyu or their crosses?

I raised a test group of a few steers from some January calves when my calf buyers didn't have room/didn't want to raise calves in January. We fed them refusals from the milk cows, which we usually aim for close to zero refusals. Of the six steers we raised, two went prime (Fleckvieh and Gyr) and the rest went choice. Finished at 18-19 months old.

I'm thinking about shooting for slightly higher refusals and feeding out some more steers. Figured these Wagyu calves would be good ones to start with. They might take closer to 24 months to get that super Wagyu marbling, so I'll probably keep some good old Fleckvieh calves too. I know those will be finished in that 18 month range.

Not sure how to place a value on refusals. By shooting for a slightly higher rate of refusals, I'm also looking to keep fresher feed in front of the cows. With nowhere to really go with refusals, sometimes my feeder waits to feed if intakes are down some days. This can get him on a more consistent schedule, along with the cows.

Anyway, I think I got the whole Fleckvieh beef thing down, but Wagyu is new to me. The bull I've used (Sanjiro from Semex) carries the low melting point gene for fat. A video I watched on Wagyu says that crossing them with other breeds gets you some nice hybrid vigor in terms of marbling and carcass traits. Though I imagine that crossing on dairy animals isn't like crossing them on Angus for example. Then again, the neighbors think I milk beef cows already.

So I thought I'd check here to see if anybody has experience with Wagyu?

Wagyu cross calf

Fleckvieh cross steer I sold last week

I don't have any experience raising them but I have been breeding all my cows to them since last September. I sell all calves to a local calf raiser. He has a pretty good market for them I guess. My calves look different than the one in the picture. Mine are mostly all black and look like Angus. But I also get a few oddballs.

Quote Originally Posted by BLOOMFIELD View Post
    I don't have any experience raising them but I have been breeding all my cows to them since last September. I sell all calves to a local calf raiser. He has a pretty good market for them I guess. My calves look different than the one in the picture. Mine are mostly all black and look like Angus. But I also get a few oddballs.
    That calf is from a dam that carries a dominant grey coat color gene. He also has a twin brother that is all black. With all the different crosses I already have, my Wagyu calves will have some oddities. One from a Normande x Holstein looks like a regular old Fleckvieh x Holstein with a white face. Also had one come out looking like a Holstein and the others have been all black.

Quote Originally Posted by BLOOMFIELD View Post
    What are you getting for these calves, Bloomfield?

I raised some half breeds years ago. They grow much slower and the one I butchered didn't seem much different than anything else. If you have a market where you can get a good premium you may do alright but if they are sale barn bound, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by whistle pig View Post
    I raised some half breeds years ago. They grow much slower and the one I butchered didn't seem much different than anything else. If you have a market where you can get a good premium you may do alright but if they are sale barn bound, not so much.
    How old were they when butchered? What were you feeding them?

Honestly, I don't remember many details. They were fed the milk cow ration at the time.

I used to work for a local cooperative (seed, chemical, fert), and we sprayed for a guy that had all purebred Wagyu. I think he had at least 100 hundred and may be over 200 by now. He's a younger guy maybe in his early to mid thirties. He sold most of his animals to the Chicago area to the high-end restaurants. They are definitely not as beefy looking as Angus, and they were slower to finish out.

edit: I really like the looks of that Fleckvieh steer too. It actually looks like it belongs in a feedyard.