Thread: Is there an effective treatment for Mastitis anymore?

Default Is there an effective treatment for Mastitis anymore?

With the new drug restrictions we are seeing her in Wisconsin and throughout the U.S. the Percentage of mastitis cases i "Win" is lower than it's ever been. i would say 5-10% if that. Most of the time I am better off if I Kill the quarter as soon as it is detected and prevent her from becoming ill past that point from the beginning.

With that being said i would love to here people's protocols on detection and treatment! I think we all agree that prevention is best, but how do you handle after that is my question

Thank you
    Kyle

I think it depends on a lot of factors, but IMO the better your prevention is the less likely that those problem cows that flair up can be cured. They usually are "structural" mastitis at that point...bad teat ends, slow milkers, leakers, lop-sided udders. It is hard to cure those cows long term, and drying off quarters or culling is a better choice that sticking drugs into them.

If I had access to enough replacements and a low mastitis rate, <15% of the herd per year, I would treat once if it looked promising then dry or cull after that. I have worked with/on 2 mid-sized farms now that have no mastitis pens and don't need them.

Quote Originally Posted by abelacresinc View Post
    With the new drug restrictions we are seeing her in Wisconsin and throughout the U.S. the Percentage of mastitis cases i "Win" is lower than it's ever been. i would say 5-10% if that. Most of the time I am better off if I Kill the quarter as soon as it is detected and prevent her from becoming ill past that point from the beginning.

With that being said i would love to here people's protocols on detection and treatment! I think we all agree that prevention is best, but how do you handle after that is my question

Thank you
    Kyle
    What drugs got taken away from you? I'm not aware of any.

oxytet IV, Ampicillin in the quarter, Sulfa Boluses, and Very strict on Banamine usage.

oxytet IV, Ampicillin in the quarter, Sulfa Boluses, and Very strict on Banamine usage.
    Well banamine isn't going to fix mastitis anywhoo, only helps them feel better. We only use it on hot mastitis. Sulfa we haven't used in ten years.

But oxytet IV & ampicillin up the quarter? We still do that. We also use LS50. If LS50 doesn't work, hold them 60 days & cull.

I haven't been able to get ampicillin for a couple months now

LS50 is said to be for use in chickens only?

I haven't been able to get ampicillin for a couple months now
    Really? I haven't had a problem. But it really isn't that effective for us, at best 50/50 & for DA surgery it has been totally ineffective lately.

LS50 is said to be for use in chickens only?
    Our vet writes scripts for LS50 for pneumonia & mastitis.

Depends on how bad it is. If its bad and there is swelling or if its toxic 2 bottles of hypertoninc, 20 cc dexathsome, 20cc banamine, 50 cc polyflex, You can IV that all into the vein if you want. then another 25 cc polyflex in muscle 12 hrs later and another 24 hrs after that. Dexathsome dont use on animals that are pregnant. Make sure they drink water after hypertonic. They should drink at least 10 gals of water within 15 mins of treatment or you should pump whatever they dont drink.

If its only a slight case of mastitis 50 cc polyflex in the muscle, 12 hrs later 25cc, then another 25cc 24 hrs later. Been working really nice takes a few days to clear up. but usually does the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by HalexGT View Post
    Depends on how bad it is. If its bad and there is swelling or if its toxic 2 bottles of hypertoninc, 20 cc dexathsome, 20cc banamine, 50 cc polyflex, You can IV that all into the vein if you want. then another 25 cc polyflex in muscle 12 hrs later and another 24 hrs after that. Dexathsome dont use on animals that are pregnant. Make sure they drink water after hypertonic. They should drink at least 10 gals of water within 15 mins of treatment or you should pump whatever they dont drink.

If its only a slight case of mastitis 50 cc polyflex in the muscle, 12 hrs later 25cc, then another 25cc 24 hrs later. Been working really nice takes a few days to clear up. but usually does the trick.
    50 cc polyflex, that's 3.5 times what our vet writes on the bottle. Maybe we haven't been using enough is why it wasnt working. And our vet says IM.

Polyflex IM for bad cases with high temps. Still will use spectramast as well. Non-serious cases we jump on with dexamethasone( if cow is not PG obviously) and the magical udder comfort 2-3 times a day. If we're real ambitious, we will strip quarter by hand in between milkings. (One perk of being a small tie stall housed dairy)

Quote Originally Posted by cihguy View Post
    Polyflex IM for bad cases with high temps. Still will use spectramast as well. Non-serious cases we jump on with dexamethasone( if cow is not PG obviously) and the magical udder comfort 2-3 times a day. If we're real ambitious, we will strip quarter by hand in between milkings. (One perk of being a small tie stall housed dairy)
    We tried udder comfort 3 different times. One time we tried the white even! And one time we tried generic.

Never saw one bit of effectiveness, "here".

We put 1-1.5cc dex up the quarter on pregnant cows & never aborted one. Yet. This will NOT pass for putting in the tank, even though it is safe IM for putting in tank.
    Last edited by cousinit; 09-10-2017 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cousinit View Post
    We tried udder comfort 3 different times. One time we tried the white even! And one time we tried generic.

Never saw one bit of effectiveness, "here".

We put 1-1.5cc dex up the quarter on pregnant cows & never aborted one. Yet. This will NOT pass for putting in the tank, even though it is safe IM for putting in tank.
    We have some luck with the blue udder comfort stuff as first treatment. After that we treat 2 days/4 milkings with today and 3 milkings with amoxi mast-fixes 80% of cases. When we have a quarter that won't soften up, we use 3 days/6 milkings masti-clear, it's pen g based and penetrates tissue easier. We have also used dexamethasone -im- on pregnant cows LESS than 60 days pregnant- our vet says that's save and we never had an abortion on it.

Obvisouly there are cases this doesn't apply. But cows have an amazing ability to self heal. That's why we try to add the udder comfort therapy, withhold quarter till it's clean or till we test the scc. That being said, we still have all the treatments on hand. Spec, today, pirsue etc

We truly believe in udder comfort. Fresh cow swelling, mastitis, use it on heifers pre calving to ease swelling. It's not cheap though.

Prevention of mastitis starts at the way of milking. This technology seems to be very promissing:

https://youtu.be/sE0VpWDAjEo

I just listened to a talk presented by Llyod and Daphne Holterman of Rosy-Lane Holsteins LLC. They milk 1000 cows in Wisconsin and they claim they have NOT used ANY antibiotics in over 50 months!!!! (Except drycow treatment at dryoff). SCC is running at 115000.
    He was at a talk once and a person claimed that 75% of mastitis cases are uncureable by antibiotics which made him ask why are we treating? Since then they use hypertonic saline IV then drench with YMCP and electrolytes and aspirin for temperatures.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I have listened to the same talk from rosy-lane. Not using any antibiotics for that long is extremely impressive, especially for a farm that size