Thread: Storing dry hay.

Default Storing dry hay.

We would like to know what works for storing dry hay. Little bales are the most profitable if we can make them. We are planning to build storage and automate the baling process. How is it possible to keep the bottom layer from spoiling?

I keep my small squares in a shed with a dirt floor. I put down pallets and stack them on top. the only issue I have found is that it gives mice, rats, and the occasional opossum a great place to hide.

best luck I've had was spreading out a very thick layer of sawdust

I've heard of people putting a layer of plastic down with lime and gravel over it, no idea how well it works though.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Concrete .

Quote Originally Posted by jcolli140 View Post
    I keep my small squares in a shed with a dirt floor. I put down pallets and stack them on top. the only issue I have found is that it gives mice, rats, and the occasional opossum a great place to hide.
    I put up small squares to both sell and keep, and I have a whole bunch of pallets I use. Works really well for us.

Quote Originally Posted by WaMoo View Post
    I put up small squares to both sell and keep, and I have a whole bunch of pallets I use. Works really well for us.
    Pallets on dirt?

I'm with jcolli here. Plus pallets break & rot, & contain nails. Nails + hay = disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by cousinit View Post
    Pallets on dirt?

I'm with jcolli here. Plus pallets break & rot, & contain nails. Nails + hay = disaster.
    Pallets on gravel. All of my pallets are used, but in good condition, so nails or broken boards are not an issue. Rot isn't an issue either in my arid environment. I think the air gap plays a big role in preventing any spoilage on the bottom layer.

This works for me. Demand exceeds my supply and all my customers are repeats.

Quote Originally Posted by WaMoo View Post
    Pallets on gravel. All of my pallets are used, but in good condition, so nails or broken boards are not an issue. Rot isn't an issue either in my arid environment. I think the air gap plays a big role in preventing any spoilage on the bottom layer.

This works for me. Demand exceeds my supply and all my customers are repeats.
    We are far from arid & so is jcolli. I guess it depends on how arid the climate of the OP.

The last time we did dry hay it was on pallets on asphalt. Before that pallets on gravel, before that pallets on clay. To keep the bottom layer of hay good it has to be kept dry. Either inside or off the ground

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
    DiederichFarm
    "You are only as good as your next success, not your last" Sir Jock Stirrup

A completely inclosed shed with a concrete floor. Keep the doors closed and don't let birds, cats, and raccoons from living in it. I store large square bales directly on the concrete with no problem. Only put in dry hay that has gone through its sweat.
    Name:  P_20151218_140822.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  108.1 KBName:  P_20151218_140822.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  108.1 KB