Thread: feeding cotton seed

Default feeding cotton seed

So my area had the worst growing season ever! Wettest on record, first cutting was two weeks late because of the rain, corn yielded 30% of last year. I planted enough for silage and energy and didn't even get enough for my silage needs. I do have enough forage due to carry over, but I will be buying protein and energy. The forage I do have is lower quality.

Question: I know starch is big in a diet, but if energy requirments are met with fat on a lower producing heard will milk production suffer? My thinking is cotton seed brings both energy and protein to the table, and might help with fat test.

If fat gets to high in the ration than you actually get problems with both production and milk fat depression.... you need to keep it in check.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
    DiederichFarm
    "You are only as good as your next success, not your last" Sir Jock Stirrup

Default feeding cotton seed

Depending where you are located and your feeding system, wet beet pulp would be a good energy supplement. My wife’s family in west central MN are getting pulp in pretty reasonable right now. Supplemental protein can be found in many by products. I have not priced cotton lately either but definitely check prices on all your options that work in your feeding system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both of the above comments are correct. Fat you like to see about 4-6% of the ration DM, but no more. You will actually limit dry matter intake if you feed too much fat. As well as cause milk fat depression. Also, sugar you like to see 5-7% of ration DM. Sugar plus starch should be less than 30% together. Some people go a few points higher, but it needs to be carefully managed. Cottonseed is an excellent feed in my opinion, if the price is right. I would check your ration, see what area you have room to add, and explore pricing. There are also commercial fat supplements such as calcium salts of fatty acids (Mega-Lac) or palmitic acid (Palmit 80) to keep in mind, although if you can find what you need in feedstuffs, it will most likely be more economical.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The bottom line is the ration needs to be balanced for fiber, fat, energy & protein.

Quote Originally Posted by cousinit View Post
    The bottom line is the ration needs to be balanced for fiber, fat, energy & protein.
    And when times are tough, a good nutritionist can get creative with a ration.

Quote Originally Posted by Ford 401 View Post
    And when times are tough, a good nutritionist can get creative with a ration.
    Sure. Lots of feedstuffs out there. Lots of considerations. Price, availability, storage, consistency in quality & availability, shrink, digestibility, palatability, materials handling. But after all is said & done, ration needs to be balanced.