Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

Thread: The Bovikalc is gone

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Kaukauna WI
    Posts
    4,885

    Default The Bovikalc is gone

    I hope nobody else calves before the auction.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Orient, SD
    Posts
    896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cousinit View Post
    I hope nobody else calves before the auction.
    When is your last day?

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Kaukauna WI
    Posts
    4,885

    Default

    Next Thursday.

    Have about a months worth of haylage left in the silo but it will have to stay there because the auger is shot. But we did manage to feed out all our corn & beans. There will be about $200 worth of corn silage left lol.
    Looking back, I think we went a month too long. Physically can't do it any more.

    Getting ready for an auction is alot of work. Kinda wish we would have opted for the price per head we were offered a month ago. Cows are all clipped, ready to go.

    Neighbor's auction is today. Another neighbor's auction is the first week of December.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Northeast WI
    Posts
    293

    Default

    Saw it in the paper.....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Kaukauna WI
    Posts
    4,885

    Default

    The weird thing is we weren't even trying but got our cell count down to 188. We don't hold any teats out or anything, this is from the plant.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    216

    Default

    I saw the ad also didnít put it together that it was your herd. I always like the way Gregg describes the cows. Very nice looking cows in the ad.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Kaukauna WI
    Posts
    4,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wisjag View Post
    I saw the ad also didn’t put it together that it was your herd. I always like the way Gregg describes the cows. Very nice looking cows in the ad.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This year was our nicest bunch of 2 year olds ever.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    999

    Default

    Got a nice long vacation planned yet?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Lynden Washington
    Posts
    268

    Default

    Best wishes on your new life. Different out here no one has auctions. Just call 1 of 3-4 cattle jockeys and they get em pretty quick. Milk and load on trailer, from decision to gone generally less than a week. Depending on if they need blood test to leave state.

    I am assuming auction prices are soft?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Kaukauna WI
    Posts
    4,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ElJefe View Post
    Got a nice long vacation planned yet?
    Went last nite to an informational meeting on an old people's tour of Switzerland Austria & Bavaria for aug 2018.
    There will be lots of traveling. Keith is going to badger game nov 18.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Kaukauna WI
    Posts
    4,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Troydairy View Post
    Best wishes on your new life. Different out here no one has auctions. Just call 1 of 3-4 cattle jockeys and they get em pretty quick. Milk and load on trailer, from decision to gone generally less than a week. Depending on if they need blood test to leave state.

    I am assuming auction prices are soft?
    What's not soft? Cull prices are in the tank. Along with milk prices.

    It's really difficult if not impossible to time a retirement dispersal. We met & exceeded our goal of being debt free at retirement, & used up our feed.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    999

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cousinit View Post
    Went last nite to an informational meeting on an old people's tour of Switzerland Austria & Bavaria for aug 2018.
    There will be lots of traveling. Keith is going to badger game nov 18.
    I absolutely loved Bavaria. Can't wait to go back. I'm hoping to get to Austria and Switzerland sometime too.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    South West Victoria , Australia
    Posts
    1,496

    Default

    All the best and hope it works out well for you .

    Pretty exciting time with travel plans etc . Have a look at flying business class if you have back issues , that's my tip ..
    "Those people who say they have no time for bodily exercise will soon have to find time for illness ". Joseph Pilates

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Kaukauna WI
    Posts
    4,885

    Default

    T minus 48 hours......

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Central Valley California
    Posts
    426

    Default

    Is the sale at your dairy or at an auction house?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Kaukauna WI
    Posts
    4,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLOOMFIELD View Post
    Is the sale at your dairy or at an auction house?
    It's here.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Kaukauna WI
    Posts
    4,885

    Default

    Getting ready for an auction is not for the faint of heart.

    We somehow got our cell count down to 169 & that's with a 4 million cow. So the 4 million cow has to go in the morning but then another cow got mastitis yesterday. How do treated cows sell at auction? I'm thinking not very good. And a fresh cow isn't taking off. Everything is predicated on how the animal looks that day. Not yesterday, not last week, but that day. oh and one of our best older cows decided to get a sore leg.

    Makes me think we should have gone the private treaty method. So much a head. Done deal. No micro-managing around one day.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Central Valley California
    Posts
    426

    Default

    Is there a friend or neighbor you could bring those few off cows for a while till they get better so you don't give them away at an auction?

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Kaukauna WI
    Posts
    4,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BLOOMFIELD View Post
    Is there a friend or neighbor you could bring those few off cows for a while till they get better so you don't give them away at an auction?
    The mastitis has resolved, & the fresh cow has an RP cuz she calved 2 weeks early. She looks alot better today. I'd buy a fresh 3 yr old who was the best of class last year, RP or no.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Southern Ontario
    Posts
    127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cousinit View Post
    Getting ready for an auction is not for the faint of heart.

    We somehow got our cell count down to 169 & that's with a 4 million cow. So the 4 million cow has to go in the morning but then another cow got mastitis yesterday. How do treated cows sell at auction? I'm thinking not very good. And a fresh cow isn't taking off. Everything is predicated on how the animal looks that day. Not yesterday, not last week, but that day. oh and one of our best older cows decided to get a sore leg.

    Makes me think we should have gone the private treaty method. So much a head. Done deal. No micro-managing around one day.
    I'd sleep better knowing what price per head I was getting rather than sending them through a ring. Dad sold his herd years ago via auction and it turned out ok. I bought part of mine private and I much prefer that as a buyer - no 5 second decisions on prices and less stress on the cattle. The guy managed the herd til I needed it and gave me all his records. Much less hassle than the cows I've bought at auction. Any surplus animals I sell privately for the reason mentioned above.

    All the best today!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •