Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Bovikalc is gone

Quote Originally Posted by cousinit View Post
    The mastitis has resolved, & the fresh cow has an RP cuz she calved 2 weeks early. She looks alot better today. I'd buy a fresh 3 yr old who was the best of class last year, RP or no.
    How did the sale turn out? Was there good attendance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wisjag View Post
    How did the sale turn out? Was there good attendance?

It was a learning experience, to be sure. Had some interesting conversations with the auctioneer during the weeks prior to the auction & afterwards, concerning the dairy landscape, his experiences with dairy farmers recently, and the future of dairy.

I was most shocked by the fact that dry cows are only worth $100 over beef price, no matter the age or the record. Buyers paid well for fresh heifers & 3 year olds. Milk price down a buck in December & another buck in January. Cull price will only get worse as BGH babies go to town in January.

But hey, we met our goals, husband & I are still healthy, we have maybe 2 doors of haylage left, 3 pails of protein, a few ton of corn silage, a couple hundred pounds of corn. Winter is coming soon, didnt want to be milking in sub-zero temps.

Sounds successful to me. Dry cows are interesting to me because some sales they are high and then the next they are in the tank. Guess it is just a matter of when people need milk in the tank.

Yeah, a few of our dry cows made 33,000#. Didnt matter. A dry hojo made over a thousand of fat, she brought $900.

Two cows didnt sell, one brought $850 at Green Bay dressed beef.

Miller said 1/3 of the buyers were FSA clients. A prominent southern WI farm bought most of the best 2 year olds.

We didnt have any machinery to sell, but even if we did, the auctioneer is recommending to his clients not to sell their eqt at auction because there is no demand.

Friday morning prior to 9 am he received 4 calls from dairymen wanting to schedule auctions. One 75 cows, one 150 cows, one 300 cows, & I didn't get the other one. He told them to wait till spring. They are with land o lakes & going over quota & losing money every day on the amt over quota they are getting docked on. Winter auctions don't work, but they want out.

Our 3,000 gallon bulk tank, on the other hand, is in demand. We were shocked at the interest in that thing. People need to switch to every other day pickup because of what's going on with milk hauling.
    Last edited by cousinit; 11-18-2017 at 06:26 PM.

Yeah, a few of our dry cows made 33,000#. Didnt matter. A dry hojo made over a thousand of fat, she brought $900.

Two cows didnt sell, one brought $850 at Green Bay dressed beef.

Miller said 1/3 of the buyers were FSA clients. A prominent southern WI farm bought most of the best 2 year olds.
    I thought you didn't have any hojos left. Had I known I'd have made it to the auction and bought em all.
    DiederichFarm
    "You are only as good as your next success, not your last" Sir Jock Stirrup

Quote Originally Posted by drdiederich View Post
    I thought you didn't have any hojos left. Had I known I'd have made it to the auction and bought em all.
    I had 3. Well one half & half & 2 were 3/4 Holstein 1/4 jersey so are they Hojos?

The one hojo brought $1,700 milking 100# but only 2.8 test go figure. The other only brought $1,200 she was smaller but a nice cow.

I had 3. Well one half & half & 2 were 3/4 Holstein 1/4 jersey so are they Hojos?

The one hojo brought $1,700 milking 100# but only 2.8 test go figure. The other only brought $1,200 she was smaller but a nice cow.
    I just looked it up, cow 193 had a 4.8 test. You coulda had her :-). I really liked that one, she already had DA surgery in July so she was set for life.

The low value on dry cows seems strange. To me, a healthy proven dry cow is a better buy than a cow that's currently milking. She'll calve in and be ready to go, whereas a cow in milk will slump pretty bad on arrival. A recent dry cow that's looking at her 2nd to 4th lactation would be second only to springers in value to me.

It wouldn't take a lot to prove her worth to me; Other than a visual inspection, I'd want to see DHI records of the last lactation showing good production and consistently low scc, and a clean culture taken at dry off.

Quote Originally Posted by kipps View Post
    The low value on dry cows seems strange. To me, a healthy proven dry cow is a better buy than a cow that's currently milking. She'll calve in and be ready to go, whereas a cow in milk will slump pretty bad on arrival. A recent dry cow that's looking at her 2nd to 4th lactation would be second only to springers in value to me.

It wouldn't take a lot to prove her worth to me; Other than a visual inspection, I'd want to see DHI records of the last lactation showing good production and consistently low scc, and a clean culture taken at dry off.
    I agree 100% kipps. Buy them dry, get them acclimated.

The auctioneer said that today's buyer is only interested in immediate milk. They have no patience.

We had a lot (>25%) dry & close to dry cows.

It's much the same here . Especially for small lots and anything with a slight amount of age there's bugger all demand .

Really it's just a buyers market but the wheel will turn eventually. China holds the cards IMO . What happens there seems to have increasing relevance.
    "Those people who say they have no time for bodily exercise will soon have to find time for illness ". Joseph Pilates

If we get a really dry autumn , which happens every few years , then it can be very costly to feed dry cows. It can be hard work selling but once the rains come purse strings seem to loosen everywhere.
    "Those people who say they have no time for bodily exercise will soon have to find time for illness ". Joseph Pilates

I agree 100% kipps. Buy them dry, get them acclimated.

The auctioneer said that today's buyer is only interested in immediate milk. They have no patience.

We had a lot (>25%) dry & close to dry cows.
    Doesn't make sense to me. Lowest value for me at an auction would be a mid lactation bred cow. Going to be a big drop in milk and a higher chance of dumping the calf.

Think it was worth it to do the auction?

Quote Originally Posted by Lead Cow View Post
    If we get a really dry autumn , which happens every few years , then it can be very costly to feed dry cows. It can be hard work selling but once the rains come purse strings seem to loosen everywhere.
    Feed here is plentiful & dirt cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Doesn't make sense to me. Lowest value for me at an auction would be a mid lactation bred cow. Going to be a big drop in milk and a higher chance of dumping the calf.

Think it was worth it to do the auction?

That is the cows I liked buying, never had one slip a calf. I never had much luck getting a open cow bred after purchase.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Somebody asked how the auction went. On average, a tad more than 2x cull price. Top was 3x cull price, bottom was $100 over cull. Came out a little better than if we had sold privately.

Still shell-shocked from no more cow syndrome. It's really weird not getting texts about various & sundry things from the employee's wife at all hours of the day & night. That's what I don't miss at all.

Planning some trips. Have a buddy from Russia wants us to go along next year when he visits home. What say you? We're talking Moscow, St Petersburg, Black Sea region. Anybody been there?

Still shell-shocked from no more cow syndrome. It's really weird not getting texts about various & sundry things from the employee's wife at all hours of the day & night. That's what I don't miss at all.

Planning some trips. Have a buddy from Russia wants us to go along next year when he visits home. What say you? We're talking Moscow, St Petersburg, Black Sea region. Anybody been there?
    I've got some friends from stavropol. Definitely suggest a trip to the black sea!

Are there any animals on the place at all or totally barren?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Baazevedo1 View Post
    Are there any animals on the place at all or totally barren?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Totally barren, except for the barn cats. We would love to find a home for some of them, too. There are far too many.