Thread: Zero Cooling Tanks

Default Zero Cooling Tanks

Looking at buying a larger bulk tank. The one tank I've seen is a Zero Cooling milk tank. They aren't any or hardly any in my area. Wondering if anybody on here knows much about them. Do the tanks hold up/ last a while? This tank doesn't come with compressor or wash panel/unit. Any info on these tanks is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by calvin View Post
    Looking at buying a larger bulk tank. The one tank I've seen is a Zero Cooling milk tank. They aren't any or hardly any in my area. Wondering if anybody on here knows much about them. Do the tanks hold up/ last a while? This tank doesn't come with compressor or wash panel/unit. Any info on these tanks is appreciated.
    Obsolete,

They use a DC agitator motor. Spins slow in forward and fast in reverse.

The high speed reverse along with a properly shaped agitator paddle is what washes the tank.

Seem to be reliable tanks, but dont get upset with your dealer when he tells you it might take a week to get a replacement agitator motor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Amusing concept. I never thought of that method of washing a tank, but I can see it working -- sort of. A conventional agitator pushes milk down against the floor and away. Presumably this minimizes splashing and cavitation. If spun fast the other direction, it would fling the wash water up into the tank.

I don't know why they would need a DC motor. Washing machines run straight AC into a handful of motor wires. Energize the blue and yellow wire, and the motor runs low speed reverse. Energize the black and red wire, and the motor runs high speed forward. Etc. Etc. It's all a matter of which windings are energized.

A possible lower cost retrofit, would be to rig up two belt-drive motors on the same gearbox. Different pulley sizes, different hp, etc. Energize one motor for agitate, energize the other for wash. It would be a bulky apparatus that would be getting dirty looks from the inspector, though.

Correct me if I am wrong, but couldn't you just use a conventional motor to run the agitator and use a freestanding tank washing pump like any other tank? I also wonder how complicated it would be to simply modify the tank to use a spray ball like most big tanks use. I have seen "broken" tanks that wouldn't hold freon used to store milk direct cooled to 35F by a chiller....more than one way to get things done.

Quote Originally Posted by cows250 View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but couldn't you just use a conventional motor to run the agitator and use a freestanding tank washing pump like any other tank? I also wonder how complicated it would be to simply modify the tank to use a spray ball like most big tanks use. I have seen "broken" tanks that wouldn't hold freon used to store milk direct cooled to 35F by a chiller....more than one way to get things done.
    Absolutely!

If I was a current owner of such a tank I would do it.

However, with a normal agitator motor approaching a grand, a wand washer or a pump and spray ball for about the same amount, wash/agitate timers for +/- 200, and labor for a technician willing to play "outside the box". . . .

You'd have to buy the tank for next to nothing or the total cost would be more than what you could buy a brand that offers repair parts for 1970's models.

On the other hand, with Mueller backed up to July on new tanks, the used market is drying up fast. Especially 1500 gal and up.
    Might have to take what you can get if its urgent.

Did they have issues with leaking freon?

When you say chiller, are you referring to a plate cooler? Or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by calvin View Post
    Did they have issues with leaking freon?
    The few zero's in this area never have?

A chiller cools glycol remotely which then runs through a plate cooler. Usually the plate cooler has 2 sections utilizing well water through the first and glycol second.

Anybody seen them tanks in a green colour( I think they were plastic on outside)? If so, were these older than the stainless?

Quote Originally Posted by kipps View Post
    Amusing concept. I never thought of that method of washing a tank, but I can see it working -- sort of. A conventional agitator pushes milk down against the floor and away. Presumably this minimizes splashing and cavitation. If spun fast the other direction, it would fling the wash water up into the tank.

I don't know why they would need a DC motor. Washing machines run straight AC into a handful of motor wires. Energize the blue and yellow wire, and the motor runs low speed reverse. Energize the black and red wire, and the motor runs high speed forward. Etc. Etc. It's all a matter of which windings are energized.

A possible lower cost retrofit, would be to rig up two belt-drive motors on the same gearbox. Different pulley sizes, different hp, etc. Energize one motor for agitate, energize the other for wash. It would be a bulky apparatus that would be getting dirty looks from the inspector, though.
    Sounds pretty simple till you try to find a motor with the windings you need to make the speeds you want. So much simpler to run the DC motor and regulate the voltage to change speeds. Belts and pulleys...LOL, again, just use the DC motor and be happy.

The Zero tanks were pretty hardy. A lot were used under vacuum as part of the step saver system.

Using a Mueller style washer might be an option worth looking at if the washer is gone.

Personally I would look for an affordable Mueller.