Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: No Calves. Milking for 1000 plus days

How do the economics of a $3000 cow work out? My rough math here would be $1-$2 per day to pay for herself plus expected cull value means I should pay between $1300 ($700+$600 cull) upto $2300 ($1400 + $900 cull). I assume beef prices are relatively close, so either those farms are expecting to get far longer cow longevity, far higher repayment per day, or substantial extra value for calves born that can then be sold.

Thanks to all the Canadians posting actual numbers, it really helps compare between the two systems.

Quote Originally Posted by cows250 View Post
    How do the economics of a $3000 cow work out? My rough math here would be $1-$2 per day to pay for herself plus expected cull value means I should pay between $1300 ($700+$600 cull) upto $2300 ($1400 + $900 cull). I assume beef prices are relatively close, so either those farms are expecting to get far longer cow longevity, far higher repayment per day, or substantial extra value for calves born that can then be sold.

Thanks to all the Canadians posting actual numbers, it really helps compare between the two systems.
    If we dont buy the cow and dont fill the quota that is revenue that is lost and will not be able to get back.
    For BC that is cumulative production of less then -15 days. Any time you are less tjen -15 days you cannot ship that milk as -15 is as low as tou can go.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Yeah, it's definitely a big picture scenario. The bare bones immediate cash value is pretty close to that mid $2300-2500 range, but when quota is being allocated due to increased consumption (like it is now. Butter is cool again!) the value of cows goes up, just to help stay within production parameters. The quota system offers substantial price stability but puts big responsibility on producers to manage production within fairly tight margins (-15 days to +10 days in a rolling 365 day measure) we are currently sitting at around -4 (in the past 365 days, we have produced 361 "days" worth of the quota we are responsible for) and are gaining a day or two each month. We have a new entrant in our province coming to our place tomorrow to look at some fresh heifers that he might buy because our barns are full and a surge of fresh heifers coming in the new year.....

Quote Originally Posted by Troydairy View Post
    Sorry....I meant what have you heard guys paying for them there. Unbelievable weather few weeks...eh?
    After rain for 27 of the 30 days in Nov. The last 2 weeks have been awesome. How are your lagoons holding up? Supposed to start getting colder later next week.

Quote Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
    Yeah, it's definitely a big picture scenario. The bare bones immediate cash value is pretty close to that mid $2300-2500 range, but when quota is being allocated due to increased consumption (like it is now. Butter is cool again!) the value of cows goes up, just to help stay within production parameters. The quota system offers substantial price stability but puts big responsibility on producers to manage production within fairly tight margins (-15 days to +10 days in a rolling 365 day measure) we are currently sitting at around -4 (in the past 365 days, we have produced 361 "days" worth of the quota we are responsible for) and are gaining a day or two each month. We have a new entrant in our province coming to our place tomorrow to look at some fresh heifers that he might buy because our barns are full and a surge of fresh heifers coming in the new year.....
    Very well said.....you guys can go to +10??? We are only allowed +5.