Thread: Vitamin Supplement Prices Gone Mad!

Default Vitamin Supplement Prices Gone Mad!

A fire in a BASF vitamin supplement plant in Germany? A 50 lbs bag of vitamin A is going from $1,000 to $5,000! Vitamin E-50 doubling in price. Vitamin D tripling?

Word around here is that dairy ration spike packs will no longer even include Vit A and severely limit the rest. What is everyone else experiencing with this? Apparently (according to my Google searches), it’s a worldwide issue.

I mix all my own minerals and have to decide how to adjust my levels. My vet did a 24 cow blood sample of my herd that will hopefully give me a roadmap on how to move forward.

I yanked all trace minerals and vitamins but Ca and Mg a few weeks ago. Vitamin shortage and 13 dollar milk coming

Of course the danger is that one wouldn’t be in a position to take full advantage of the inevitable upswing in milk prices if their herd health was compromised because of the backing off needed supplements.

But yeah, also understood that one also can’t take advantage of a rebound if they no longer even have cows. Tough call.

Received this from our premix supplier:
    Why there is a vitamin shortage:
    The summer of 2017 saw China shut down 40 % of their factories in sharp pollution crackdown due to environmental issues and new regulations. The New “Beautiful China” policy was put in place with a mandate of a 20% reduction year over year in air pollution. This tightened up vitamin supply in general and particularly Vitamin A.
    On October 31st, 2017 one of the world’s largest vitamin suppliers BASF had a fire in its citral plant in Germany. Citral is a precursor of Vitamin A. This has affected around 40 – 45% of the global vitamin A production. Force Majeure was declared by BASF on November 10th, 2017 for Vitamin A and Vitamin E. Force Majeure means that BASF is not obligated to fill customer orders or supply their contractual obligations for reasons such as riots, war, fire, floods, acts of GOD, etc.
    Citral is not expected to be produced until Quarter 2 of 2018. Vitamin A is not expected to be available from this plant until Quarter 3 of 2018.
    On November 30th, 2017 India’s Fermenta Biotech had a fire in their Vitamin D manufacturing facility. For these reasons (and others) there are now global vitamin shortages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk