Thread: Sources of Stray Voltage

Default Sources of Stray Voltage

Stray voltage in parlours has been discussed a bit on here in the past but what are the common causes ? My herd are often fidgety around this time of the year as the pastures are going through the reproductive stage . So to help with that we have Elatox in the concentrate ration .

If I suspect I have stray voltage , maybe get a multimeter and do a few checks and have a chat to an electrician ?
    "Those people who say they have no time for bodily exercise will soon have to find time for illness ". Joseph Pilates

A lot of times the problem is poor grounding, variable speed motors, nicked wires or improper insulating.
    DiederichFarm
    "You are only as good as your next success, not your last" Sir Jock Stirrup

Mine was an improperly installed AC unit in the barn office. Although really didn't see a difference when we fixed that.

Do you do anything different with your fencer, they can cause it but I think you need a oscilloscope to see it. We took ours and made it solar powered and moved it far away from the parlor and you couldn't see it anymore. We also have it coming in off the power co's nuetral, and still trying to get that resolved.a stray voltage expert may be of good help as there are a few different types of stray voltage.
    https://www.progressivedairy.com/top...hock-your-cows

I would agree that it's not good practise to have an electric fence unit near a milking parlour . I was thinking of shifting the earth from the general power supply and maybe putting in more earth rods in an attempt to get better earthing .

That's the first thing that comes to mind .
    "Those people who say they have no time for bodily exercise will soon have to find time for illness ". Joseph Pilates

Tasmania, Australia where the grass is always green

A person told me about how their family dairy (in the USA) took DeLaval to court for $50m in damages due to stray voltage that caused havoc with production, SCC, etc. (the business walked away with $5m for those interested). From memory, I think they said that DeLaval installed inappropriate wiring with their pulsators. Apparently it was hard to find and they went through the rigmarole of firing the dairy staff, swapping staff from their other dairies, swapping the herds, all while collecting data and then compiling it as evidence.