Thread: Small dairy.

Default Small dairy.

I just acquired an old dairy farm with a gable barn with a white milk house coming off the side. I have 32 stanchions, new vacuume lines and water lines. Milk house consists of a 300 gallon flat top tank, newer hot water heater, wash sinks, and four surge milk buckets refurbished within the last three years. The barn yard is about a 5 acre plot. The farmer I got it from died, "he lived and milked there all his life" I was told he kept up to 40 cows on the 5 acre spot and fed year around? I'm asking is that really possible? And if so how much feed would I really need? He put up 6000 square bails and had 2 decent sized top unload silos but I have no idea if that's enough to support milking at least 32 cows. Also the floor in the barn is pretty messed up, me didn't have a barn cleaner just two gutters he shoveled by hand, if my floor isn't perfect will an inspector shut me down?
    Thank you for any input and I know small dairys arnt profitable or at least that's what I'm reading everywhere..

Where is this farm located? Did he rent land from the neighbors to fill the silos? is the land hilly or flat?