Thread: Genex scr

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Genex scr

Reading genex horizon magazine article on the activity monitors. At end they mentioned tiestall producers are adopting the technology. How would it work in a tie stall herd when/if the cows are locked up most of day, especially during winter when not on pasture?

Now that I actually read whole article, this family does have a tie stall,housed herd

I don't have the SCR system and I don't have a tie stall barn either. I have been using the Cowmanager activity monitor eartags for 3 years.

The eartags work by monitoring the motion of the ears and cow temperature. When cows chew, their ears move a certain way. When they jump, their ears move a different way. When they walk/run, it is different too. These motions are recorded and sent by wireless signal to a receiver. The receiver is hooked to a personal computer and sent to a mainframe somewhere and analysed. The program figures out if they are ruminating or in heat based on the ear movement patterns. I have no idea how accurate these are in tie stalls, but I'm sure that someone has tried it.

Other activity monitors use necktags and work in a similar way. A few of them even have microphones to listen to rumination. Again, I have no idea how well they work when cows are tied up.
    Nature View Farms
    PolledJerseys.com

Tasmania, Australia where the grass is always green

We use SCR's collars (grazing pasture). I'd imagine that cows activity increases even when tied up all day long. Furthermore, I'm fairly certain rumination is considered in their heat index algorithm along with days since last heat, etc.

So even being tied up, the rumination monitoring part of it shouldn't be any different or less accurate than say a freestall herd? I can see how the "activity" part of it would be restricting. Though even being tied up, a guy can sometime tell if they are heat with more side to side movement, etc.

Our herd is let loose and parlor milked, so they have oppurtuniy to show us,estrus

Yes the rumination should work fine. I would think the heat detection would work too. Part of the heat detection algorithm uses the rumination as one of the indicators. We see a steep drop in rumination during heat. The program compares each individual cow to the rest of the herd..... this compensates for weather variations, ect.
    Nature View Farms
    PolledJerseys.com

Here's a graph of a cow that I can't seem to get bred (in heat again today). You can see the increase in activity and the drop in rumination at each heat:

Name:  cowmanagergraph.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  108.8 KB
    Nature View Farms
    PolledJerseys.com

Quote Originally Posted by JayHerron View Post
    Here's a graph of a cow that I can't seem to get bred (in heat again today). You can see the increase in activity and the drop in rumination at each heat:

Name:  cowmanagergraph.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  108.8 KB
    I would suspect her to be cystic since her cycles are two weeks apart.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by torch318 View Post
    I would suspect her to be cystic since her cycles are two weeks apart.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    Hit her with Cystorelin in Nov and Dec. Hasn't helped. She's about to 300 days and I've bred her 7 times. Still milking 58#. Here's her 60 day graph:
    Name:  cysticcow.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  117.3 KB
    Nature View Farms
    PolledJerseys.com

seems to me like is time to give up on her
    DiederichFarm
    "You are only as good as your next success, not your last" Sir Jock Stirrup