Thread: How to get AI semen?

Default How to get AI semen?

I am new to AI, just finished taking a course on it about a week ago and we are wanting to start AIing our own cows.

With that being said how does someone go about getting semen?
    Do I call a breeding company and have them deliver semen?
    Even if I want to AI the cows myself will they still help me learn the ropes of buying the right semen and any other questions I might have?

Thanks!

Yeah, any ai company will be more than happy to sell you semen.
    DiederichFarm
    "You are only as good as your next success, not your last" Sir Jock Stirrup

Quote Originally Posted by drdiederich View Post
    Yeah, any ai company will be more than happy to sell you semen.
    And many more want to annoy you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do they come right out to the farm to do so? I'm so new to this!
    What do I need to know/say when I originally call?

Do you own a tank? Is it full of nitrogen?
    Back in the day we used 21st century and they would fill our tank with nitrogen if we bought their semen. The cows were all on their MAP program.

Quote Originally Posted by sammyd View Post
    Do you own a tank? Is it full of nitrogen?
    Back in the day we used 21st century and they would fill our tank with nitrogen if we bought their semen. The cows were all on their MAP program.
    Yes we own a tank and it is full of nitrogen, ready to be used!

ABS Global, Select Sires, and Accelerated Genetics are three that come to mind right off. Each of them would have a large selection, and would almost certainly have a sales rep in your area. Accelerated Genetics has been listing bulls in the Select Sires catalogs, so I'm not sure if they still sell directly or not.

Go on the website of a semen company, and look for contact info. E-mail them, asking for contact information for the local sales rep. Give him a call, and I can bet he won't waste any time getting to your farm. He'll give you a sire catalog(be sure to specify what breeds you're interested in) and explain how the pricing system works. Be sure to ask about volume discounts. Get him to pick out 20 units(two canes) of a cheap high fertility bull for starters. Some sales reps can accept a credit card on the spot. Others may need to send you a bill later. He has all the supplies you need on the truck - be sure to ask about them if you don't already have enough for your first 20 breedings. You'll help him carry your tank out to his truck, where he'll transfer the canes of semen directly into your tank. He'll also top off your nitrogen at the same time.

After a week or two, once you've gotten a feel for breeding and have had a chance to look through the sire catalog, pick out a couple of bulls that you like from the catalog, and give the sales guy a call. Ask him if he has those bulls in stock that you want(he may have to order them in, which might take a week), and also ask any further questions on the breeding process. He has likely done a bit of breeding himself, and can give good advice.

Rough idea of prices.
    box of 100 gloves - $12
    50 sheaths - $4
    Gallon of lube - $12
    Replacement gun - $30
    Cheap high fertility straw of semen - $20($200 for a full cane)
    Average straw - $30
    Average sexed semen straw - $50
    These are Jersey prices. I think Holstein is a little higher. Volume discounts can bring the price down some. The straws of semen are packaged in groups of 10 called canes. Generally you buy a whole cane, but the sales rep might be willing to sell a half cane on occasion.

Kipps has very good advice above.

Accelerated Genetics recently became a part of Select Sires. Alta will soon be merging with Genex (CRI).

The big 4 semen companies: ABS, Select Sires, Genex, and ST Genetics. There are still many other smaller organizations marketing semen.

I'm a Jersey guy (polled Jerseys), so I like to use Bullseye to pick my bulls. If you are a REAP member, you can also use JerseyMate to mate your cows. Here's a link to Bullseye: https://infojersey.usjersey.com/publ...bullseye1.aspx

Holstein USA has a software program to help with bull selection: http://www.holsteinusa.com/software/software.html
    Nature View Farms
    PolledJerseys.com

Quote Originally Posted by kipps View Post
    ABS Global, Select Sires, and Accelerated Genetics are three that come to mind right off. Each of them would have a large selection, and would almost certainly have a sales rep in your area. Accelerated Genetics has been listing bulls in the Select Sires catalogs, so I'm not sure if they still sell directly or not.

Go on the website of a semen company, and look for contact info. E-mail them, asking for contact information for the local sales rep. Give him a call, and I can bet he won't waste any time getting to your farm. He'll give you a sire catalog(be sure to specify what breeds you're interested in) and explain how the pricing system works. Be sure to ask about volume discounts. Get him to pick out 20 units(two canes) of a cheap high fertility bull for starters. Some sales reps can accept a credit card on the spot. Others may need to send you a bill later. He has all the supplies you need on the truck - be sure to ask about them if you don't already have enough for your first 20 breedings. You'll help him carry your tank out to his truck, where he'll transfer the canes of semen directly into your tank. He'll also top off your nitrogen at the same time.

After a week or two, once you've gotten a feel for breeding and have had a chance to look through the sire catalog, pick out a couple of bulls that you like from the catalog, and give the sales guy a call. Ask him if he has those bulls in stock that you want(he may have to order them in, which might take a week), and also ask any further questions on the breeding process. He has likely done a bit of breeding himself, and can give good advice.

Rough idea of prices.
    box of 100 gloves - $12
    50 sheaths - $4
    Gallon of lube - $12
    Replacement gun - $30
    Cheap high fertility straw of semen - $20($200 for a full cane)
    Average straw - $30
    Average sexed semen straw - $50
    These are Jersey prices. I think Holstein is a little higher. Volume discounts can bring the price down some. The straws of semen are packaged in groups of 10 called canes. Generally you buy a whole cane, but the sales rep might be willing to sell a half cane on occasion.
    Don't carry your tank to the truck. They have transporting tanks to carry to your tank. Moving your tank around is not a good idea. Don't spend more than $12-14 on Holstein semen. Use beef semen on your bottom third and laugh all the way to the bank. Semen guy won't top off your tank. That's a separate guy coming around.

Quote Originally Posted by cousinit View Post
    Don't carry your tank to the truck. They have transporting tanks to carry to your tank. Moving your tank around is not a good idea. Don't spend more than $12-14 on Holstein semen. Use beef semen on your bottom third and laugh all the way to the bank. Semen guy won't top off your tank. That's a separate guy coming around.
    Here, the select sires trucks are all equipped with a large nitrogen tank. Cousinit knows the neighborhood better -- I'll trust her on this one. Your semen sales rep will know who to call to get it filled, at any rate.

The $12-$14 price is with some pretty decent volume discounts, I'm sure. TWissell will likely not order enough to get the price that low.

Quote Originally Posted by kipps View Post
    Here, the select sires trucks are all equipped with a large nitrogen tank. Cousinit knows the neighborhood better -- I'll trust her on this one. Your semen sales rep will know who to call to get it filled, at any rate.

The $12-$14 price is with some pretty decent volume discounts, I'm sure. TWissell will likely not order enough to get the price that low.
    We only bought 40 units at a time, give or take. Semen was always "on sale" it seems. We also bought some unproven bulls.

If you are uncomfortable reading a sire summary, find a company that you are comfortable with and have them mate your cows. A trained analyzer will come to your farm and score/grade your herd. He will then sit down with you and discuss what your goals are for your herd. He will help you find a few bulls in their lineup that will fit your goal. He will then put together a list of 1st and 2nd choice mateings. This way, when a cow needs to be serviced, all you need to do is look at the list for the sire to use. I have used Select Sires mating program for over 20 years and have been extremely happy with the replacements that we raise.
    If the company knows that you will be an exclusive customer, they will throw out better deals. I have never paid for breeding supplies or nitrogen in 20+ years. 70% discounts from retail price is possible in some areas no matter the volume. Sexed semen is usually nonnegotiable in my area though. If the rep will not discuss this openly with you, send him down the road and call the next company.