Thread: Suicide prevention with milk check

Default Suicide prevention with milk check

Iíve been reading on facebook(the only place for proper information) about many farmers getting a letter with there milk check about suicide prevention, including hotlines to call. How vary important to provide this information. But to include it with the low milk check hit a little to close. Iím in Vermont and our local coop included this letter as well as seeing many other areas doing the same

Easy for me to say but quitting farming seems like a better option than suicide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe they'd be kind enough to buy flowers for our funeral, too?

I don't know, but i think some farms are so far in the red even if they were to sell it wouldn't bring enough to cover all the debt. so it must feel for them that no matter the situation it wouldn't solve anything. even if they were to sell and get a well enough paying job to be able to make payments outstanding, There would still be a daily reminder that they lost something that they put their heart and soul into for their whole life. Which I can only imagine would still set someone up for depression ect... and a risk for suicide.

If the futures are any indication, the pain is only beginning....

Quote Originally Posted by ElJefe View Post
    Clearly you aren't Michigan Milk Producers Association. I expect I'll find a rope pre-noosed in mine.

Yeah putting that hotline number with the milk check is pretty lame. Our co-op had a hotline number back in 2012. I think they kept that program in place.

Really, I'm glad they have that. Maybe it seems crass but I'd rather that than just turning a blind eye. Times are tough but there is better otions than offing oneself. If just one person uses it and it makes a difference than it is worth all the people being angry about it.
    DiederichFarm
    "You are only as good as your next success, not your last" Sir Jock Stirrup

Quote Originally Posted by JJs dairy View Post
    I don't know, but i think some farms are so far in the red even if they were to sell it wouldn't bring enough to cover all the debt. so it must feel for them that no matter the situation it wouldn't solve anything. even if they were to sell and get a well enough paying job to be able to make payments outstanding, There would still be a daily reminder that they lost something that they put their heart and soul into for their whole life. Which I can only imagine would still set someone up for depression ect... and a risk for suicide.
    Not up on the law but wouldn't a bankruptcy be more beneficial in that situation?
    Paying bills on assets you no longer own seems like a real downer.

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyfarmer View Post
    Clearly you aren't Michigan Milk Producers Association. I expect I'll find a rope pre-noosed in mine.
    Nothing like a little coffee shot through my nose to get me going. Thanks for the laugh jerseyfarmer.

love the comment jersey!!!

Sending out a note is very cool. With the check....little tacky. But some are in tough shape and for some reason dairymen more than any other ag or profession seem to be TIED to their occupation. If you aint a dairyman what are you? I know a guy who quit milking in the mid 90s and went into Pastoring a church and still refers to himself as a old dairyman. Guys who went on 87 buyout still say they were a dairy guy if you chat with them. I guess it's the 365 nature and you gotta be committed to dairy (in a asylum or emotionally). So when you cant do what your previous 3-4-5 generations did it hits hard.

I think I seen a Farm Credit thing about their hotline too.

Quote Originally Posted by ElJefe View Post
    Milk plant did send a bouquet of flowers for dad's funeral, so did the milk hauler, him and the driver both came to the wake as well. Wasn't suicide though, cancer's a beatch. Dad was one of the district elected officials for the co-op for about 20 years, although they sent flowers to my grandparents/uncles funeral too years ago and they were just patrons.

I can also think of a couple of guys who aren't milking anymore that still consider themselves dairy farmers.

Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Milk plant did send a bouquet of flowers for dad's funeral, so did the milk hauler, him and the driver both came to the wake as well. Wasn't suicide though, cancer's a beatch. Dad was one of the district elected officials for the co-op for about 20 years, although they sent flowers to my grandparents/uncles funeral too years ago and they were just patrons.

I can also think of a couple of guys who aren't milking anymore that still consider themselves dairy farmers.

Wheels
    Wheels, sorry to hear about your dad but as they say, he's in a better spot.

Quote Originally Posted by cousinit View Post
    Wheels, sorry to hear about your dad but as they say, he's in a better spot.
    Thanks Cousnit, Dad was at home right up until the end, which gave me a front row seat, He's surely in a better place. last 6 months he wasn't able to come out and help with chores so I'd sit down and fill him on things in when I'd come in for breakfast. Mom has been pretty good about leaving me take the reins and make decisions on the farm, and so far, I haven't screwed up too big-time yet. Took a lot of long term solutions to overall issues in 2016 which paid off in '17, and as for 18, that's gonna be kind of a "god help us" year no matter what due to prices and feed situation.

Wheels

Checking in here to offer my sincere condolences to Wheels.

Also, I'm sorry to say I know something of depression. Its why I haven't been around much. It's a terrible disease that most people don't understand. If anyone here feels suicidal, please get help. There's a place you can call in St. Louis called BHR that has free 24 hour phone counseling. You can find them on google.

never give up!!!
    John Osthus
    Dairyforums.com Creator and Admin Guy
    St. Louis, MO