Thread: Dean foods

Default Dean foods

More farmers being cut off I see. Wal-Mart's new processing plant possible to blame.

I heard about this today. Didn't know if it was just a rumor or truth. Hard to tell in my town. Any idea what state?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Was picking up some straw to bed calf hutches With at a local Mennonite dealer. He said he visited his brother in PA last week, and this was the talk everywhere. Think his brother even got the dreaded letter.

I heard the dropped farms were in KY, TN, OH, and IN. And I have also read on AGweb I believe that DFA has already stated that it cannot pick up the milk in TN and KY. I can't even imagine what those farmers are going through.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerseycowfarm View Post
    I heard the dropped farms were in KY, TN, OH, and IN. And I have also read on AGweb I believe that DFA has already stated that it cannot pick up the milk in TN and KY. I can't even imagine what those farmers are going through.
    I'd call that a mercy killing. Would've made my decision much less painful.

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyfarmer View Post
    I'd call that a mercy killing. Would've made my decision much less painful.
    So you decided to throw in the towel? No shame in quiting today. The industry and society as a whole does not value producers over consumers. Sad times

Yep, the last load leaves today

I didn't think Dean had any farms in PA anymore. I thought that they just bought what they needed. I'm central PA. The local Maryland Virginia co-op is having a rough time also I hear. 3 of my customers already said it was gonna get kinda rough.

Anyone know how many farms?

Quote Originally Posted by Sollenberger Farms View Post
    Anyone know how many farms?

Rumor this morning says 119. Also might involve some farms in the Somerset area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Best wishes in the future. Like I said no shame in that move. Be grateful your not 61 and all equity tied up in the herd and now you cant sell 'em. Few guys here are "stuck" per se since they cant get what they owe or enough basically to retire/quit. And 1 said to route guy, "who want to hire a 63 yo now days?". I think he'll be fine, younger gen wont work so ...
    Get some rest and start your less stress life!!

http://www.lancasterfarming.com/farm...d651d2a68.html

( Sent from Lancaster Farming )

Article about dropped farms

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Is it possible Walmart will pick these farms up?

When we were talking about it the other day that was a thought for many? Not sure but, it would make sense to me since they'll need farms for their canning company...

Quote Originally Posted by TWissell View Post
    Is it possible Walmart will pick these farms up?

When we were talking about it the other day that was a thought for many? Not sure but, it would make sense to me since they'll need farms for their canning company...
    I'd heard that they had already lined up their milk supply for the new plant
    DiederichFarm
    "You are only as good as your next success, not your last" Sir Jock Stirrup

Quote Originally Posted by drdiederich View Post
    I'd heard that they had already lined up their milk supply for the new plant
    Me too. And they sure aren't taking any multiple farm/mixed loads.

Deans foods has been hurting for a while now. They have closed plants around the country. I would not blame Walmart directly. Walmart will still be selling milk just jog bottled by Deans.

My wife is a youngstock nutritionist and has a large customer in Indiana that got the cutoff letter. They are milking 4,000 now and barns have been going up for another 4,500 since last fall. They have not stopped construction. They are actually filling barns as they finish them. They are not afraid of getting a new processor. They said that all plants are waiting till almost the cutoff date to see who is left to pickup. Currently they have a herd from Virginia purchased, to be delivered this week. The herd is 560 cows. The plan is to cull 225 as soon as they arrive. Once they are culled the remaining animals will be averaging over 95 pounds of milk and cell count less than 100k. They are buying this herd for $1,000 delivered after culling he figures the total cost will be $1,400 per remaining animal.

So my thoughts are if you have cull cows now maybe the time to get them out. The cull market is going to be flooded soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Producers that received the cut off are also being told that they are just the first round. There is more cutoff to be expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here it is 12-21-18 and I haven’t read the Forum for a while but I have a pretty good reason. I also noticed that The Forum has not commented very much lately on “Dean’s Letter”
    We got one and I can tell you this has been the most traumatic year since my husband died. We had three months to sell a lifetime of work& the breeding we put into our all registered cows, we had been inthe dairy business for over 50 years. None of the processors we talked to would even discuss picking up our milk & we called just as soon as we got the letter from the post office . A group of the “good-ole-boys” got together and set the pricing on our cows before our auction and we only got stock yard pricing. Equipment in our parlor went for .10 cents on the dollar. Thank God we didn’t sell our machinery thru the auction , we have been selling it privately.
    A friend of mine (also got “the letter”) who had been in the Dairy business as long as we have, ended up having a heart attack & dying....another sold his cows, equipment & land and bought himself a Harley and hit the road
    I’ll bet you are waiting for “The rest of the story”.......well so am I....

My god I'm sorry to read your post.

Its terrible to see what dairy farmers are going through these days.

I wish peace for you this Christmas.
    John Osthus
    Dairyforums.com Creator and Admin Guy
    St. Louis, MO