DairyBusiness

Thread: Rumensin?

Default Rumensin?

Anyone using rumensin in their rations? We tried it when it first was okayed for lactating cows; had a loss of butterfat.To those who do use it, have you had any negative side effects?

I have had customers that requested I put in into their ration. Generally speaking, most had the same response as you, a butterfat depression (just a couple of points), but we penciled out that the rumen efficiency and increased production were more profitable.

Default Reply

We started using it over 10 years ago, didn't notice any particular drop in butterfat at that time. The biggest difference for us was a HUGE reduction in clinical metabolic disorders, almost totally eliminated any visible ketosis, acidosis, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleK View Post
    We started using it over 10 years ago, didn't notice any particular drop in butterfat at that time. The biggest difference for us was a HUGE reduction in clinical metabolic disorders, almost totally eliminated any visible ketosis, acidosis, etc.
    Have you had any of the reproductive problems on the label; such as lowered fertility?

Default Reply

Nothing noticeable hughesdairy.

we just use it in our calf grain, we used to buy our calf grain premixed from the mill, but someone at the mill accidentally put too much remensin and we had at least 16 of our calves die. Now we mix it on site our selves, it's a good product, but very dangerous if mixed wrong

I put it in the milking cow ration at a moderate level when it was first approved and saw a dramatic drop in components. I took it right out. A year or so ago, wanting to manage early lactation ketosis, I added it at half the rate I used the first time. I didn't see any detectable drop in components, but ketosis has disappeared. If you are going to add it to your ration, I'd recommend starting at a low level.

Tom

I have it added in the grain, my BF content is 3.8, which is good IMO. I did feed without rumensin, and noticed no change in BF. I did notice what happens when you take it out of the diet, like I did last year at one point. Production dropped some, and I did notice a slight change in appetite. What I am feeding is Baleage, varying quality. I feed the good stuff in the barn, and the lower quality stuff (protein) outside. So I might not see much of an impact because hay/grass tends to bump BF. My grain mix is 15.5-16.0% protein, has wheat mids, soybean meal, corn meal, distillers, and soybean hulls, along with a mineral pack and that rumensin.

As far as fertility goes, I see no difference what-so-ever. My conception rates are pretty good, figured 80% or so, very few repeats. I have heard of CR being lower with rumensin, but that seems to be a factor with feed, and overall management (catching them at the right time).

Jeff